Moving Away From K&k

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eh should of got that one instead of buying rope and hooks to suspend it
issue how do u put the lid on when the hop bag is in it? do u put the lid on?

one more stupid question
when you are adding hops at say 60 mins im assuming thats when you are boiling it and you are adding that hop at the 60th minute or immediately ie allowing it to be in the boil for 60 minutes if it was a 60 minute boil?

buying all the stuff for 375

have bag tied to rope and rope over hooks
heat water to 68 degrees
turn off urn
lower bag in urn
pour in grain slowly mixing as you pour
put lid on
cover with blankets
wait 60 minutes
stir grain
hoist bag up
after 15 mins add Saaz
after 60 mins add Hallertau
remove hop sock
put lid on
when steaming turn off at power point
cover with clean clothe for 20 mins
pour into brew barrel leaving the crap at the bottom
wait for temperature to drop to 14 degrees
add yeast sugar and warm water in glass
when bubbling add to brew barrel

Grolsch Clone (German Pilsner (Pils))

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 19.4 (EBC): 38.2
Bitterness (IBU): 36.9 (Average)

91.53% Caramalt
8.47% Pilsner

1.7 g/L Hallertau Tradition (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2.8 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 14C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager

6kg of pilsner malt
0.333 kg of caramalt

84 g of saaz @ 15mins
50 g of hallertau @ 60 mins

Wyeast 2042 danish lager yeast

40 L urn concealed element
large hop sock
grain bag

one more stupid question
when you are adding hops at say 60 mins im assuming thats when you are boiling it and you are adding that hop at the 60th minute or immediately ie allowing it to be in the boil for 60 minutes if it was a 60 minute boil?

Boil it for 60 minutes.

Similarly, if a recipe says [some hop]@15 it means to boil it for 15 minutes (i.e. add it 15 minutes from the end of boil).

Good luck with it.

oh and another question once boiled can i pour it into the coopers brewing barrel thing and let it cool in that in the brew fridge then when at 14 degrees add the yeast?

A lot of people seem to do it that way but have a look in the article section for something about 'no-chill' - viewed by many as a safer option. Not saying letting it cool in the fermenter is inherently unsafe but you do need to understand the risks to do it well, IMO.

so i need to buy a cube?
or is it ok to go straight into the fermenter and into the fridge then yeast

A lot of people seem to do it that way but have a look in the article section for something about 'no-chill' - viewed by many as a safer option. Not saying letting it cool in the fermenter is inherently unsafe but you do need to understand the risks to do it well, IMO.

I quite often "No chill" in a fermenter in my brew fridge. To get to pitch temp in a faster time.

Cheers.

no issues to worry about?
saves cleaning another container, less exposure time to the air, quicker time to get the yeast in
i think shes a go
time to buy the whole lot i think

The extra convenience of a nochill cube is worth it though. ONce a brew is finsihed in the fermenter you can just pour the cube of wort on top. You can't do this with nochlling in the fermenter. PLus you will have to clean your fermenter after every ferment anyway, so it doesn't really save on cleaning

no issues to worry about?
saves cleaning another container, less exposure time to the air, quicker time to get the yeast in
i think shes a go
time to buy the whole lot i think

ONce a brew is finsihed in the fermenter you can just pour the cube of wort on top. You can't do this with nochlling in the fermenter.

huh?
im still only new to brewing in general
ive done 4 k&k in total

so i need to buy a cube?
or is it ok to go straight into the fermenter and into the fridge then yeast

It's not regarded as best practise (opens yourself up to airborne nasties), though it certainly works and I have done it many times when cubes are full.

Starsan your fermenter. If using an airlock, take it out and cram the hole with some starsan-soaked tissue to act as a filter for the air that will suck in as the liquid cools. Make sure the lid is on super tight so that any air that will be sucked in will go in through the tissue filter.

I will only do this if brewing at night so it has the cooler temps overnight to cool, then into the fermenting fridge in the morning (It's usually at about 32' at this stage depending on ambient temps) to chill down before pitching yeast.

Cheers.

huh?
im still only new to brewing in general
ive done 4 k&k in total

So now that you're doing all grain you be using better yeast than the kits, but this yeast can be expensive. BUt if you look down the bottom of the fermenter after draining it you'll see a whole heap of yeast. What you can do is pour most of this yeast out, leaving a cups worth. Then pour another cube of wort on top of this yeast and start a new brew. Its not the best practice but plenty of people do it. It means you don't have to celan your fermenter very often. ONe of mine hadn't been cleaned for nearly 6 months.

If you were to cool the hot wort in the fermenter you wouldn't be able to do this because it would kill all the yeast (and probably lead to off flavours). Doesn't mean you'd have to buy yeast, but it means you'd have to clean out your fermenter every time.

PLus with nochill it means you can store the wort for long periods of time without fermenting it, i;ve kept them for eover a year Do a search on nochill, it will tell you everything you need to know.

And kudos for jumping from knk to all grain, you won't regret it.

ok i have one of the new coopers fermenters without the airlock just that krausen collar or whatever its called that i assume moves up when pressure internally is high and release the CO2

decided i will chuck a cube in the shopping cart
should get a huge discount for spending so much on their website haha

so once boiled for 60 mins i pour it straight into the cube
empty the air out, should be any doing a 30 L batch the cube holds 21-22L
shake the hell out of it
leave it over night
pour into the fermenter and into the fridge until temperature drops to yeast pitching temperature

When you say "Pour straight into the cube" you mean "siphon gently using silicone hose", don't ya?! :icon_cheers:

Gently lay the cube on its side once full and the lid is on to sanitise the handle and lid, mate.
Don't shake it until it is at yeast pitching temps and you are ready to introduce oxygen to the wort to help your yeast grow.

Have a read here, mate: NO CHILL

When you say "Pour straight into the cube" you mean "siphon gently using silicone hose", don't ya?! :icon_cheers:
If I might add, the reason for this is under the NoChill method, the wort
will be hot (prob 80C to 95C) when you're transferring it into a cube so
pouring it straight in could be tricky. If you're using a pot without a tap
or ball valve, you may want to use a big funnel.

And the reason for a gentle transfer is to minimise splashing of the wort
and adding oxygen when the wort is hot to avoid something called hot side
aeration (though it is considered not a big issue in the homebrewing scale).

You do want to add as much oxygen to the wort as you can for yeast health
but do that when the wort has cooled to yeast pitching temperatures - and
is why :
shake the hell out of it
leave it over night
should be swapped around (probably pour 1/3 into fermenter before shaking
the remainder).

Towel tip and other tips.

91.53% Caramalt
8.47% Pilsner

From your recipe, I assume this is a typo and really should be

91.53% Pilsner
8.47% Caramalt

regards

Graeme

If you are going to pitch the yeast as soon as possible, then cooling in the fermenter is fairly safe.

However a cube has several advantages:

• If you fill it with the hot wort and tip it from side to side so that all the surfaces are scalded by the wort then it's 99% sterile and you can keep it for months if necessary
  • Therefore it "decouples" the brew day from the pitching day which can be handy if you have run out of available fermenters or your yeast culture isn't firing up
  • With several cubes you can brew two or three batches in one day then sit back and ferment at your leisure.
  • (edit) also when tipping or draining the cube into the fermenter it's a great way of aerating the brew. Kit brewers often take aeration for granted as they use tap water which is nicely oxygenated to start off with, but in the case of AG you need to keep oxygenation in mind.

piggy4Medium.jpg

91.53% Caramalt
8.47% Pilsner

From your recipe, I assume this is a typo and really should be

91.53% Pilsner
8.47% Caramalt

regards

Graeme

cheers man thought the beer colour was slightly dark

as to the cube dilemma, i will go with the cube cause theres a high chance that it wont be fermented immediately so i will take the safely storage option for an extra 20

cheers boys

Latest posts

Back