Moving Away From K&k

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how much is enough for the swiss voile, craft brewer have a bag for 20 which seems pretty reasonable

secondly i found a grolsch clone recipe, i have found all the ingredients with the exception of dry extra light extract, i need 2.25 Kg of it or a similar substitute, and irish moss, im guessing thats a clearing agent and is solely for aesthetics of the beer and doesnt affect the beer? correct me if im wrong
was looking to buy the whole brew off of craft brewer if possible, cause my local home brew shop guy is terrible i asked for lactose and it took 45 minutes to explain why i wanted lactose for a lemonade and not the pack, anyways online is my preference

i think i found the dry extra light malt
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1001

A couple of metres of voile should do you. Trim to fit and have some spare for a hop sack.

Seeing as you are getting from CB suggest spending a couple of dollars more and buy some Briess Pilsen Light it is the lightest malt extract I have seen and should be good in your Grolsh.

Try this:

Grolsch Clone
German Pilsner (Pils)

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 9.0
Total Grain (kg): 1.900
Total Hops (g): 40.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 4.6 (EBC): 9.1
Bitterness (IBU): 26.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.800 kg Pilsner (94.74%)
0.100 kg Caramalt (5.26%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Hallertau Pellet (3.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
25.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (2.8 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 14C with Saflager S-189

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

The craft brewer full size BIAB bags are actually a nylon material and very sturdy, but I just got a sheet of voile, cut it to a circle and hemmed it around on a sewing machine (man that was a wild ride for 10 minutes) - or you can just seal the edge with a gas BBQ lighter they tell me.
Far easier to clean than a bag.

For smaller batches CB also do a 60cm x 60cm grain bag which is stretchy material but I've done a couple of K mini BIAB in them - they make a brilliant hop bag.

last question i promise
exposed or unexposed element in an urn?

If you like Corona, and decide to go with the small pot to see how it goes, then a good brew to try is:

2kg lager malt
500g flaked maize.

Mash for an hour at 66 degrees

Drain, sparge and boil with 15g Galena for 60 mins.

Combine the resulting wort with a tin of Coopers Cerveza and make up to 23L in the fermenter

Ferment with US-05

Makes a great lawnmower beer as you can see

lawnmowerMedium.jpg

This would be an easy intro to AG without spending too much. If you then decide to go bigger then the stock pot is always handy in any brewery.

lawnmower beer...

I dis-agree... I've poured plenty of that into my lawn mower and the sucker just wont start

QldKev

The craft brewer full size BIAB bags are actually a nylon material and very sturdy, but I just got a sheet of voile, cut it to a circle and hemmed it around on a sewing machine (man that was a wild ride for 10 minutes) - or you can just seal the edge with a gas BBQ lighter they tell me.
Far easier to clean than a bag.

For smaller batches CB also do a 60cm x 60cm grain bag which is stretchy material but I've done a couple of K mini BIAB in them - they make a brilliant hop bag.

ARRRGRGRGR I spent 2 hours in spotlight trying to purchase Swiss voile and the thread. I finally took it home and just copied the design of my hop bag. i.e. cut a rectangle and a circle. I then spent 1 hour reading the sewing machine manual and had to thread the dreaded machine, not a task to be undertaken lightly.
I then sewed it together, 2 seams plus a draw string... bloody Nightmare.
If my local home brew shop had sold a bag big enough I would have bought it.

Cut a voile circle and run a lighter around the perimeter preventing fraying.

Takes 5 minutes.

If you want to know how big the circle should be ... make it big enough that it contains your pot. Read that twice if you are confused.

only question i have is how will it stay if i do that like not let it falls in the pot
i originally was going to just use the lighter but thought i would need elastic or something

Drape the big square then cut off around, roughly

drapebagLarge.jpg

Then cut to a circle

sheet1Large.jpg

Hem (or melt the edge)

sheet3Large.jpg

Having a skyhook helps

hoistbagLarge.jpg

may be a stupid question
but the hops go into a bag? or just straight in the boil

may be a stupid question
but the hops go into a bag? or just straight in the boil

Depends. Some people like to contain them as it simplifies the whirlpool and reduces trub loss of wort and complications with IBU calculations if no-chilling - if they do they contain them in a HUGE bag - think half the size of your grain bag being optimum.

Unless you are using an urn - one loose flower can bring your drain to a screaming halt.
Craftbrewer sell $8 grain bags that you can peg round the top of the kettle and make a giant swimming pool for the hoppies, both pellets and flowers.

Bribie's right - I forgot to mention that I gravity feed from the top, so blocked taps aren't an issue.

Stupid me for not thinking (or posting with the kids yelling the house down), before posting.

Flowers - keep in a sock if you need to use a tap for any reason whatsoever.

Goomba

cheers boys gunna buy the two bags and urn and hops form the brew shop and the yeast and malt from craft brewer tomorrow
brought a couple of hooks and a rope so im almost all set for the first BIAB

cheers boys gunna buy the two bags and urn and hops form the brew shop and the yeast and malt from craft brewer tomorrow
brought a couple of hooks and a rope so im almost all set for the first BIAB

The Craftbrewer BIAB bag is a better shape than The Brew Shop (ESBrewing) one.

Back