Quantcast

Moving a Brew

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Taleismin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just got a 5ltr experiment going with some Cider. My question is, is it safe to move my brew as i will be moving house in less than two weeks. I guess if its stopped fermenting by then it might not be an issue ? The main thing i'm asking is can you move a brew whilst it is in the fermenting stage. Any advice would be apprecieated as i'm new to all of this :)

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
I moved a couple recently (last year we moved house. Seatbelts and straps in the car for the demijohns, cubes strapped to the wall of the truck. Drive carefully to avoid splashing.

tallie

Reaction score
In terms of avoiding unwanted oxidation, I would make sure the container was sealed. For that size brew, I'd just carry it on my lap (assuming I wasn't the driver).

Cheers,
tallie

komodo

Reaction score
just wack it in a cube. Can get a 5L plastic camping water container.
Either that or a demijohn with a lid.
Probably good to rack it off the lees anyway with a cider.

Taleismin

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice Guys. What about moving a large fermenter say 30ltrs

philmud

Reaction score
I'd avoid it if possible - if you mean one of the coopers style fermenters, they don't form an airtight seal & I reckon they'd splash a bit. If you can keep it stable though, I can't see a problem. Just don't take it for a Sunday drive.

jaypes

It is, a nice!
Reaction score
You want it in a cube or jerry with little airspace as possible to avoid oxygenation

carniebrew

Brewvy baby, brewvy!
Reaction score
I just love the dedication to home brew it takes to know you're moving house, but to put a brew down regardless. GOLD. Beer trumps life!

Latest posts