Moved my fermenter, created splashing. Is it ruined!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlyf

Reaction score
This morning I decided to move my fermenter into it's new home, the fridge. I haven't got a temp reg for it yet but I'm in Brissy so she'll be right in there.

But my concern is when I moved it, I got caught under the blanket it's wrapped in and stopped suddenly to catch my balance and created bloody splashing in my fermenter. I dry hopped last night and it should be ready to bottle on Sunday. I had the airlock in still. Is the batch going to be affected and/or ruined?

Agitation of fermenting wort and finished beer is best avoided as it will accelerate oxidation and subsequent staling reactions. That said, a certain amount is inavoidable, even for many commercial beers and I highly doubt it's ruined.
Only way to find out involves a glass, your lips and some time.

manticle said:
Agitation of fermenting wort and finished beer is best avoided as it will accelerate oxidation and subsequent staling reactions. That said, a certain amount is inavoidable, even for many commercial beers and I highly doubt it's ruined.
Only way to find out involves a glass, your lips and some time.
I've had it fermenting for a week today, would whatever was stalling, already have done it's job now? I going to bottle Sunday, is that enough time to see if it's oxidised? Or do you mean more time, like 4 weeks in a bottle?

Staling reactions are a natural part of the process. The reactions are irreversible and occur as far back as malting. All you can do is your best to minimise them to increase the shelf life of your beer.

In short, try not to splash once fermentation has started but now you have, don't worry, continue as normal, probably won't notice a thing.

Fementer has carbon dioxide but when you move can suck the water out of the airlock back into fermenter.

I've move house with beer in fermenters and the beers were fine when I got around to drinking them. As long as no oxygen gets to the beer there shouldnt be any issue.

Yeah well as I said, I still had the airlock in and it seemed like nothing was sucked in from the airlock. Cheers for the reassurance guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I was ready to move my fermenter to cold crash and mid lift dropped the ******* pretty hard on the ground, nothing bad ensued and I attribute it to the fact that the fermenter is full of co2 and during the drop I doubt much if any o2 made its way to the beer, and regardless it went into the fridge after that to suck in air anyway

I have absolutely no doubt introducing oxygen will tend to oxidise the beer. However, in the current case, you won't have any dramas because oxidation is predominantly an issue for the storage of beer and aging process.So there really should be very little effect when the beer is fresh.

Might you have problems with the beer in 6 months time? Possibly. Yet from what the 'Moose has mentioned, I tend to doubt it.

if splashing your fermenter a little bit makes you worry, you would be horrified with some of my half assed brewing practices :)

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage mate. Bottle it and drink as soon as it's carbed up!

antiphile said:
Might you have problems with the beer in 6 months time? Possibly. Yet from what the 'Moose has mentioned, I tend to doubt it.
I would NEVER have that problem !

A total non-issue. The fermenter would have had a blanket of CO2 which would have purged the oxygen out.

If oxygenation was such a problem it would occur in beer that had been fermenting for a while too! All that splashing does is create a higher surface area for gas exchange and dissolution of the oxygen into the wort/beer. Since fermentation creates CO2, which is heavier than air, it protects itself from the intrusion of oxygen. If this was not the case oxygen would still dissolve into the wort/beer through the perfectly still surface.

I carry my fermenters full of "green" beer to a more convenient location (with plenty of internal splashing about) for bottling every time I have ever brewed and not once have I ever had any issues with oxidation.

Back