Mounting Drip Tray On A Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebo

Reaction score
Basically after suggestions on the best way to mount a drip tray onto a fridge door (drip tray is the type with holes for screws to hang from e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40cm-Door-Mount...=item4cfaa543ad )
Is there a type of screw that is suitable for the thin fridge door with insulation?
Other idea was get a rare earth magnet.. but not sure how much weight they can hold.
Or I could get a sheet of thin stainless (would aluminium be ok? would it rust? think a sheet of stainless was about $50 at bunnings) drill holes to match up with the 4 taps and hang this from them.. then somehow mount the drip tray to the sheet of thin steel (maybe rivets?)

I simply used Stainless bolts from the big green shed mate.

Head on the bolt is about 8mm, Nut is hidden inside the door lining inside the fridge. Easy peasy!

for reference, sorry about the low res

new_fridge.jpg

I just use a few short sheet metal screws straight into the metal exterior. You need to pre-drill a pilot hole, but you don't want it to be tight.

Works great if your fridge is flat fronted, not so good if it has a fashionable curved exterior

Any suggestions for mounting one on a chest freezer? I'm nervous about screwing directly into the side & bursting a cooling pipe.

I simply used Stainless bolts from the big green shed mate.

Head on the bolt is about 8mm, Nut is hidden inside the door lining inside the fridge. Easy peasy!

Thanks, this sounds good, the front of my fridge is a bit curved so dont know how screws would go.

Any suggestions for mounting one on a chest freezer? I'm nervous about screwing directly into the side & bursting a cooling pipe.

I put screws into a piece of plywood the same size as the back of the drip tray and then used double sided tape to hold the ply onto the chest freezer.Then the drip tray hangs off the screws, hiding the ply.

Hope that makes sense.

I put screws into a piece of plywood the same size as the back of the drip tray and then used double sided tape to hold the ply onto the chest freezer.Then the drip tray hangs off the screws, hiding the ply.

Hope that makes sense.

Does the double sided tape hold the weight ok? Was bit worried with 1.5kg of drip tray and maybe a jug of beer than tape might not hold

Does the double sided tape hold the weight ok? Was bit worried with 1.5kg of drip tray and maybe a jug of beer than tape might not hold

I used the exterior grade double sided tape (3M) - and covered the entire back of the ply with tape (basically a whole roll). According to the pack it should hold 30kg in ideal conditions...

Mine definitely holds a large g&g drip tray and a full pint. Haven't tried a full jug but I think it would be ok...

I currently use two screws on a curved door, works but is not ideal

I plan to cut some wood to fit the curve, screw that on, then mount the drip tray to that

PH,
Do you have a collar on your freezer? If so, screw right-angled brackets upside-down on to the collar, splashback to the long side of bracket & drip tray to short side of bracket. Made my own ss brackets but modified brackets from any hardware store would do the job.

OP --- ss or galvanised toggle bolts with a suitable backplate should work just fine. Mount through a short length of suitable PVC pipe to avoid squashing if needed.

TP

Use silicone. I am going to mount a drip tray on my Keezer soon and will be using 2 L-shape brackets siliconed to the side of the freezer then sit the tray on top. Florian also has a good method see post #5

I just used 2 tek screws ( sheetmetal self tappers )
Makes it easy to remove the whole tray and give it a sqirt with the hose

I just used 2 tek screws ( sheetmetal self tappers )
Makes it easy to remove the whole tray and give it a sqirt with the hose

Make a "lip" on the end of the brackets (to hold drip tray in place) then stick self-adhesive hollow rubber trim to the freezer behind the drip tray. You can then spring the drip tray on & off the brackets for cleaning\emptying without needing any fasteners. If you look carefully at the pic you'll see the rubber behind the drip tray & the "lip" on the end of the bracket.
New_Tap_Handles.JPG

TP
Edited post.

I am thinking now I might go with the rare earth magnets, that way I can move the tray up and down if I ever need.
Apparently these can pull 22kg http://aussiemagnets.com.au/product/-25-x-...e-Earth%29.html so i reckon 2 should be plenty.

might want to think about that - the load of your drip tray is not trying to detatch the magnet perpendicular the the face it is mounted on, rather it is trying to slide down the face - so you can not use the load rating as stated. you know, its heaps easier to slide a rare earth magnet across the fridge, rather than trying to pull it straight off

would hate to see your tray and a couple of pints slide down onto the ground

might want to think about that - the load of your drip tray is not trying to detatch the magnet perpendicular the the face it is mounted on, rather it is trying to slide down the face - so you can not use the load rating as stated. you know, its heaps easier to slide a rare earth magnet across the fridge, rather than trying to pull it straight off

would hate to see your tray and a couple of pints slide down onto the ground

I spoke by email to a guy at lodestone and he reckoned that one was overkill and suggested a smaller one.
Will give it a shot anyway, if it can hold 44kg perpendicular it should be ok for 1.5kg drip tray and a beer or 2.

I spoke by email to a guy at lodestone and he reckoned that one was overkill and suggested a smaller one.
Will give it a shot anyway, if it can hold 44kg perpendicular it should be ok for 1.5kg drip tray and a beer or 2.

yeah good point, let us know how they go

Approx Pull Strength 22kg geeze they pull like a high school kid

For $6 each, I would still grab a couple to be sure.

Latest posts

Back