Mountain Goat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Dropped some stuff of at the library last night. Walking back i decided to go into one of the many locals in my neighbourhood.
The reason I went into this one is they serve MG on tap.
I'm sure the barperson said it was an IPA. (I'll have to drop in again tonite to confirm). I had tried their hightail ale in late 98 early 99 when they first started releasing their stuff and I remember really liking it.
At that stage I was really sick of drinking all the locally made stuff (apart from Coopers) and wasnt really drinking much beer.
Anyway the IPA was a real treat. But what I noticed was how similar a kit and kilo I made at home was to this beer. Th MG was definetly more hoppy but according to them it as much hops as they dare to add. Also it had a dry finish. Is this the yeast? I wonder.
hehehe
I'm going to try and propogate some of the yeast from the bottle and see what i come up with.
Nice thing this home brewing.

Cheers B)

still waiting for my taste of the i.p.a.
still haven't seen it in adelaide but i have been told it is on its way.

johnno, not too sure how u will go with propagating the yeast...pretty sure mountain goat use a different strain for their bottling yeast

worth a try tho

id wait for someone to confirm this tho

Found this in the back blocks of the forum.

Does anyone know if these guys use primary strain(ie unfiltered) to bottle condition ,or seed with a lager strain?

Brauluver, I've got a bottle of Surefoot I finished the other night. On the side of the bottle it says:

"We avoid all preservatives and filtration to ensure maximum flavour - look for the yeast in the bottom of the bottle."

I guess this means it's the primary strain.

Yeah thats what the website says as well.
Rumour is they use london 1028 for hightail.Being a tight arse thought I might culture some up.
E mailed em re this but so far no reply!

Its 1028 in everything except the stout which is 1084, personally i think the 1028 would work in the stout awesomely aswell but thats another story, certainly in every bottle its the primary strain.

boozed, broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Its 1028 in everything except the stout which is 1084, personally i think the 1028 would work in the stout awesomely aswell but thats another story, certainly in every bottle its the primary strain.

boozed, broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Cheers Jayse :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back