Mountain Goat High Tail Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
LOVE THIS BEER
anyone got any tips
all my ales come out similar but want to get down to the nitty gritty of what the goats do.

i pressume pale ale malt base
and light crystal mine have been all cascades so fire away with advice
and 1056 yeast the same as my nw pale ales exept darker crystal.

got a mountain goat pale ale recipe here.the malt and hops are written on the bottle

5 kg pale malt 68c mash 1 1/2 hours 78c 15 mins.sparge
18 g hallertau 60 mins
23 g hallertau 30 mins
1 oz 10 mins
1 oz 5 mins
1 oz 1 min
american 11 1272 wyeast

will be carbonated tommorow and proberly gone by monday.
next time 1/3 of finishing hops as FWH

I would do the following:

Add .5kg light crystal
Add 30g chocolate malt

I really like hallertauer hops but they just do go well in pale ales. Change the hallertauer to fuggel or EKG for an UK pale ale or centennial or cascade for a US pale ale.

that recipe was actually based on another mountain goat beer called pale ale its their other main beer its one of only a very very few craft brews we can get in the grog shop (the other ones the LCPA thread). the mountain goat pale ale uses only pale malt and all german hallertau.not sure of the yeast its a bottle conditioned beer.the yeast is very clumpy when its disturbed from the bottle in both beers.i used 1272. only force carbonating.

the mountain goat HIGH TAIL ALE is there other main beer . discribed as a english real ale
deep amber in colour ,rich malt body and floral,toffee and fruit hop aroma
robust fruit flavour plenty of grassy and floral tones.

i'll do it with the same malts you posted for this real ale. would you use pale ale malt or pale malt?what OG?1.052?

ive been using cascades in all so far
despite your earlier advice iam still going with chinook for bittering the ones with higher ibu. i dont have much of a choice with light crystal(40-8OL) ive got this stuff which is british crystal 60L.ill use that 500g.

thanx your the king

Jayse,

Let us know how it comes out, I'm very interested.
Mountain Goat brewery is just down the road from us and i think their hightale is very morish.

Mark

I've emailed dave+cam a few times now asking when they're going to export to WA again. Seems they dont have any plans to at the moment.

One store in perth stocked it, then they stopped. I asked the manager about it and he said it was too much hassle trying to get them to ship the beers, so they stopped ordering.

Ohwell :(

the rook ive made a few they have been my best beers yet some beers iam not fussed if the keg gets empty it means ive got room for another. but with these beers i hate getting to the end of the keg. but ive now fixed that problem pretty well by only making these beers for a while(goats and lcpa styles).
what i really want is some real inside info.

kook
there one place here that keeps telling me the'll get more but yet to see it
there is one good bottle shop here though iam like a kid in a toy store when i go in.

mountain goat pale ale
carbonated today tastes unreal smells like a container of german hallertau and fruit.full hop bitterness,flavour and aroma that works wickedly together also a nice fruity flavour.the wickest head and retention.
its cloudy though not like the bottles of pale ale.this recipe rocks and how simple?pale malt and halertau.i think next one ill FWH a 1/3 of the finishing hops
is their draught version cloudy??

anyone got any high tail goat tips?

Jayse

Are your hop quantities for the Mountain Goat Pale Ale pellets or cones?

they were all german hallertau pellets at 3.5%a.a and they taste unreal dont be affriad to use them in pale ales. this is a very pale ale.i think you could use the steam beer yeast for this beer ill be doing this next one i think though it could well be the american II yeast they use.
i think only use 25 ibu for the bittering additions though.sorry i didnt put up the ibus etc.

this beer is great.in every way.
only 1 month old wont make it till two months though.

post in the intro thread far-KENEASY LET US NO YOUR BREWING SYSTEM ETC

Thanks Jayse - I really love the Goat beers. Will definitely give this one a try

jayse ,
i live in the same suburb.I know they usually have an open night once a month. One weeek ago yesterday was the last one. When I picked some up at the GB i was asked if i was going to the open night.
Maybe I'll go next month and see if they impart any info.
It says on their site that if you ask nicely you may get a tour. But somehow i dont think this implies to everybody :)

cheers B)

actually, is there any other melb brewers that would be interested in going there????

Latest posts

Back