Mountain Goat Brewers Heading To Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicko

Reaction score
CALLING ALL NSW CADETS...

Cam and Dave trek north next Thursday 28 August for a one-off Goat Army assault.

Come along to the Royal Oak Hotel - upstairs (36 College St, Balmain) at 7pm and sample the Pale, Hightail and Surefoot stout on tap. Then hang around afterwards and we'll earbash you, one by one, about good beer.

Entry is free and the Goat is free 7 - 8pm. See you there.

Sounds like a good opportunity to do some sampling, and learn a bit about their brewing, maybe even get ideas for a clone B)

I went when they came up to Sydney last year.
Last year they had it at the Sackville Hotel in Balmain (don't know what their facination with Balmain is), and it was a great night.
They had some light finger food to compliment the beers and had their literature etc.
I remember the oysters were nice too (and no there is no pun intended there).

Unfortunately I can't make it this year. Go if you get the chance.
Cam and Dave are great guys and will answered all the questions I asked last year (but I wasn't asking for recipes of their beers).

Beers,
Doc

can anyone who go's on thursday post some questions and answers etc from them i dont think their coming to adelaide for awhile.so us adelaide cadets dont get a nice earbashing about good beer.
do they have any actuall brewing degrees or formal training.or did they learn the trade like us.
recipe tips would be good if there anything like coopers brewers the only tips they'll properly give is style o.g and f.g etc you fill in the gaps.

it would be awesome if they had some of that high tail done as real ale as ive read they do sometimes put the beer in the keg after 90% fermention and condition for carbonation and serve at 8-10c.

anyway half your luck

ill do my best to ask anything for ppl

as far as i know, they did start out like us in their back yard, and one of them worked in a few breweries in canada to learn the process, then the came back and began.

1 of them had the business skills, the other the brewing skills.

The info I gathered last year is as follows.

Dave has a marketing background.
Cam was a home brewer.

Initially they leased downtime from another brewery in Melbourne to brew their beer. Cam also got to helpout and learn from the breweries there the tricks of the trade when brewing on a larger scale (larger than at home).

They started the company whilst still holding up other part time jobs to keep the money coming in.

Last year they actually employeed an office working and started paying themselves a wage etc.

They also now have their own brewery.

That's the info I remember before I really got stuck into the tastings :D

Beers,
Doc

I'm going to try and hook up with nicko, is anyone else going to the mountain goat tasting???

In Balmain that is

yeah i got that much info from the site.
there a bit of a gap it says about the one fermentor"the dave graney vat" then jumps to hiring a brewery then buying a brewery with sponsorship.
it would be unreal to do what they do apparantly a license will cost you up to $10,000 with most of that going to a lawyer.then a brewing setup with the lot about $100,000 then of course some where to put it.
so with good marketing and distribution.you would easily make you money maybe even a fortune.
i guess they got the sponsor ship for the new brewery based on the beers they made at the other brewery.

i suppose the question id like to ask is are you coming to adelaide.

went there tonight, sampled some nice beers.

tho, i prefer the hightale ale much more than the pale :) :chug:

sampled the new Surefoot Stout, and god damn i thought this was fantastic, me and my friend are not normally into the stouts, but it was just so smooth, just right, and im not really good at providing tasting notes :p but i got a copy of the sheet which i can type up later if anyones intersted.

i didnt get a chance to chat to the mountain goat guys, was in a bit of a rush.

it was a shame that they were pouring half-middies though, was rather annoying going back and forth to the bar, i found myself drinking much quicker.

anyhow, lovely beer, and very good of the guys to provide the beer for our enjoyment.

Back