Mouldy biab bag!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwertyjnr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I made a Dr. Smurtos Golden Ale and didn't immediately wash the BIAB bag that I bought from craft brewer. It is now quite mouldy and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I could save it? Thanks in advance everyone.

Boiling it up in hot sodium percarb solution and allowing it to dry in full sun should do it.

Best solution though is to buy another and look after it properly.

Soak in sodium perc solution for a few days, and then I would boil it for least 20 mins. The bag is used pre boil so I wouldnt be hugely worried but make sure it is clean and all the mold has been removed

As a tip all I do after a BIAB is invert the bag, give it a good old rinse and squeeze out in a bucket and hang it on the line. Takes 90 seconds, saves you $10+ :)

If you don't have sodium percarbonate, that's the active ingredient in Napisan.

I did this once.... cleaned up after a brew and forgot I'd put the grain bag outside. Found it 5 days later.
From memory I sodium perc'd
Rinse with fresh water
Diluted bleach soak for an hour
Rinse with fresh water
Sodium perc'd again
Rinse with.fresh water
Soaked in star san

My time and effort vs $10.....

Now I empty the grain during my whirlpool.

strong Nappisan and boiling water followed by straight bleach. Rinse and repeat. It happens to me more than it should. :wacko:

Bleach!

You gotta kill those fu%kers, then rinse, easy as!

I agree with Batz. Bleach it. Mould stains so bleach should get rid of it. Let it dry and air out then rinse before your next brew.

slcmorro said:
As a tip all I do after a BIAB is invert the bag, give it a good old rinse and squeeze out in a bucket and hang it on the line. Takes 90 seconds, saves you $10+ :)
it also vaguely resembles a REALLY large old lady's pair of undies with stains hahaha

fletcher said:
it also vaguely resembles a REALLY large old lady's pair of undies with stains hahaha
Agreed...so bleach or Nappy San?

Had this happen to me once, didn't leave the bag in an ideal place to dry in winter.

Tried pure sodium percarbonate and boiling water, didn't work - threw it out. My bag had seen three years of brewing and could have done with an upgrade anyway.

fletcher said:
Just how much experience do you have with REALLY large old lady's undies with stains to make that connection?

EDIT: Napisan (cause I don't use enough bleach to ever have any that is fresh)

I have had this happen. Tried sodium perc, tried bleach. Confident mould is dead plus it gets

The wort gets boiled so not worried. But its still stained...anyone have tips on using bleach to whiten?

Latest posts

Back