Mould On Outside Of Kegs...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
After I discovered the free freezer I was given doesn't work properly anymore, I was distracted from all things brewing and left my kegs in there at room temp for a few days before transferring them back to my not-quite-as-dodgey fridge. They now have science-fair worthy collections of mould on the outside, including on the exposed beer out posts. I wil clean them today but it is possible for this to cause an infection in the beer inside?

Any advice?
HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

Just make sure you get all the nasties off the posts and sanitize them and all will be fine. If you have bugs that are going to chomp their way through stainless than your in real trouble.

I'd be concerned about your overall sanitation regime if you're getting mold inside your beer storage area.

Recommend giving those kegs a good scrub with a bleach solution then rinsed and repeated.

If the mould is on the outside and the lines and all are pressurised, it should all be OK.

Give the kegs and the fridge a mighty scrub with Napisan or 5% bleach solution and rinse 'er off.

Should be OK.

Cheers - Fermented.

Have you got a fan in there and some damp rid? That would solve the problem if you don't as well.

Thanks guys.
I'm confident in my sanitation in normal circumstances but this was a test run to confirm the operational status of the freezer before I went to the trouble of modifying it further so it hadn't received a full-on clean yet. The mould only took hold after the kegs were accidentally left in the system when it was switched off for about half a week in fairly hot weather.
I'm not questioning how the mould came to be, that was a stuff-up on my part. I'm just concerned about whether mould is able to migrate into what is supposed to be a sealed system through, say, a bronco tap and hose connected to the beer out post for example.

HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

I'd be concerned about your overall sanitation regime if you're getting mold inside your beer storage area.

Recommend giving those kegs a good scrub with a bleach solution then rinsed and repeated.

If you know how to routinely stop mould growing in a fridge that gets turned off, you're onto a winner.

Latest posts

Back