Motueka Pale Ale Toucan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploto

Reaction score
I am planning on putting this down next, it uses up a bunch of ingredients I want to go through.

2 x 1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale
500g Dry Wheat Extract in a 5.8l boil (1.040)
60g Motueka pellets: 20g @ 10, 20g @ 0, 20g dry hopped
250g Special B steeped
Brewmaster Premium Ale (S-04)
25l ferment @ 18C
expected O.G. 1.051
expected F.G. 1.013
IBU 37.9
EBC 22.4
5.4%

Any thoughts on the hops? I do have others but for now I want to try the motueka alone. Would splitting the hops 20 / 0 / dry give a balanced representation? I don't imagine I would need any more bittering than the kits already provide so I want to get the most out of the flavour and aroma.

Also given that the boil it is only 6l, should I be topping it up with boiling water from the kettle to make up evaporation? I will be adding the water from the steeped grains so will this be enough?

Looks good to me I have used late Motueka with a Blue Mnt Lager and enjoyed the results.
Should work O.K. with your toucan just wondering if the hop flavour in the cans might overpower them a little bit was thinking up the additions to 25g each and just dryhop 10g seeing as dry hop is 95% aroma.

Should be a nice drop anyway I am a fan of toucans myself.

Your boil volumes are about right to get the best from your hops IMO should not lose too much to evaporation with only a 10 minute boil. You can add your steeping liquor make up the 6 litre boil. Cannot see any problems with a gentle rolling boil.

Sweet. I'd actually been thinking of doing the hops like that but I'm still new to doing boils so wasn't sure, though 1g per l sounds right. I'll be cooling the pot in the laundry tub with iced water so the 0min addition will still have plenty of time to release aromas I imagine. 10g dry will still give it a good punch?

Just IMO from making heaps of the CPA tins, but I wouldn't be using it as a base for tucans, the bitterness is quite harsh. Again Just IMO.

None the less, I wouldn't worry about the hop "flavor" in the cans overpowering you'r own additions, I never got much hop flavor out CPA tins anyway

Also curious how you got the 37 IBU? I'm getting 46 @ 25L, with out your additions

Also curious how you got the 37 IBU? I'm getting 46 @ 25L, with out your additions

The estimated figures are from Ian's excel spreadsheet v.3a, which gives me 17 IBU from each 1.7kg can in 25l, plus the little bit from the hops in the short boil.

I was going to make this with one can of the pale ale and one of real ale, which would have brought the bitterness up into IPA territory, and then dry hopped all the hops, but thought I would try something a little less intense. I've done a toucan of the original coopers lager and that was getting a bit on the harsh side, but it had no real hops to counter it so I'm hoping this will make a more pleasant and interesting beer.

Mmmm, maybe I'm working it out wrong. IanH's spreadsheet has gotten some pretty good reviews so I'd say it's correct, well, prolly more so than me anyway.
I'm dividing the kit IBU (340) by 25 (L), then multiply by 1.7 (Volume of the can). Been a while since I've needed to work out the bitterness of a kit so maybe I'm doing something wrong

I seem to get different projections with different software, so have decided to used them more as a guide and not worry too much about what the actual number might be. The estimate for the OG was 1.051 but it turned out to be 1.057 and I'm not going to let that worry me. If it ends up too bitter for my liking I have friends with, shall we say 'less discerning palates', who are more than happy to help me finish a batch :chug:

Anyway the brew went down with the two cans of pale ale and the motueka, 25g @ 10, 25g @ 0 and the remaining 10g to be dry hopped. Pitched at 26C last night and this morning had dropped to 16C, will let it rise back to 18C and aim to keep it at that for the rest of the ferment.

Now to prepare for the next brew, will either be a black ipa or a golden ale. Or maybe a porter. Or a stout. decisions decisions... B)

Higher gravity will only help balance the bitterness anyway so that's a good thing, IMO

Higher gravity will only help balance the bitterness anyway so that's a good thing, IMO
Have never used motueka in pellet form but use flower regularly. I even use it in my recultured yeasts and it works great. Let us know how this goes.-Have never had much success with cpa toucans myself-always had massive kit twang-havnt done one since I discovered recultured yeast and temp control though-maybe that was my problem.

Yeah, the CPA kit is pretty well renowned for that twang. Which is why I used to dose it up with heaps of hops and a few hundred grams of spec malt

Back