Motueka (formerly B Saaz)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - Fantastic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Appalling

• 0 - Never used it

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
This week we are closer to home (especially for some). It's B Saaz, a newer variety, developed and grown in New Zealand.

So what can you tell us about this hop? How do you use them - bittering, flavour, aroma? What styles have you used them for? What hop combinations are they good for? Are there any commercial beers available here using this hop? Any other tips for using this hop?

Tell us all you know so we can all make the best beer we can. :chug:

Info from Craftbrewer as my normal sources do not include this hop. :angry:

Pedigree A triploid aroma type bred by crossing 1/3 Saaz and 2/3 New Zealand breeding selection at the New Zealand HortResearch Riwaka Hop Research Centre. Released in 1997.

General Description This recently developed triploid variety is referred to as B Saaz , after a prominent Belgian brewery took a liking to it when doing brew trials. It has made a name for itself as a triploid substitute for the traditional Saaz Saaz, with a New Zealand twist. An absolutely unique Saaz like flavour has made this hop very sought after by brewers, both large and small. This new hop variety with high Farnasene imparts a distinctive citrus aroma in several beer styles. A craft brewers favourite.

Beer Styles Lagers, Bitters, Bocks, Sweet Porters.

Storage Stability Good

HPLC Analysis Alpha Acids 6.5 - 7.5 %
Beta Acids 5 %
Cohumulone 29 % of Alpha Acids

Oil Composition (Measured within 6 months of harvest, stored at 0 C)
Total Oil 0.8 mls oil per 100 gram cone weight
Concentration 107 uL Oil/gram Alpha
Myrcene 47.7 %
Humulene 3.6 %

I've been using this as a flavouring hop in ales for some time

The favourite is an loosely copied, extract version of ColinW's JS Amber Ale recipe - probably his Mk I recipe.
I adjusted the hopping closer to the levels Randall had in the same thread.

So for an extract brew
3kg LME
500gm Wheat DME
Small mash of
250gm Munich
150 carapils
50 dark crystal
50 chocolate

About 11 IBU of Super Alpha for bittering and then 11 IBU of Saaz B at 10 minutes then dry hop with another 20gm Saaz B in secondary

Tried it with W1968 (preferred) and W1028

Up the hops for a more "Sassy Red" flavour

What's not to like about this. Cheap, easy to get direct from NZ, good AA value (usually about 7-8%), great flavour profile that has the noble herby/floral characters along with a bit of citrus. I use it all the time in APA's in combination with Simcoe and Amarillo and am always impressed with the results.

Not too bad for dryhopping ales either.

Hopefully this year there will be enough D Saaz to get to homebrewers, looking forward to trying the other NZ Triploid Saaz type.

i like this hop a lot, in moderation - for aroma it's great, a unique passionfruity version of normal saaz. in beers like emersons pilsener it manages to smell almost like cascade. i used it for aroma in my "rudi" 11% dark belgian that came 2nd at the nationals last year, works well in belgians.
however i think it is better used for its own flavour than as a substitute for saaz, as the catpissy element can be hard to hide sometimes. i brewed a pilsener with all saaz B and it was just too tangy for me, although other people liked that beer, i would still rather have used czech saaz. perhaps a blend of the two saazes could be nice in a pilsener.

i've used it in my Wits... i think its a great hop for that style.
I likes it.

i've been using it in lagers for bittering. good a/a% and agreeable taste (although i'm only using it FWH.)

I use it all the time in APA's in combination with Simcoe and Amarillo and am always impressed with the results.

I have also found it to work well in combination with American hops like Cascade and Amarillo.

One thing that bugs me a bit about this hop is that it smells so damned good in its raw form but to date I have not been able to get this character into the final beer! Its got a great fruity smell to it. I've been scared tyo dry hop with it in case I get that dreaded saaz grassiness, but maybe I should give it a shot...

I have also found it to work well in combination with American hops like Cascade and Amarillo.

One thing that bugs me a bit about this hop is that it smells so damned good in its raw form but to date I have not been able to get this character into the final beer! Its got a great fruity smell to it. I've been scared tyo dry hop with it in case I get that dreaded saaz grassiness, but maybe I should give it a shot...

Maybe try a hopback?

I used it for the first time in this.

My LC bright ale clone.

Im going to rack it to the keg thisafternoon and it smells and tastes great

cant wait till its cold and gassed up

LC Bright Ale Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 52.00 Wort Size (L): 52.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.71
Anticipated EBC: 6.7
Anticipated IBU: 25.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
66.7 7.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 3
19.0 2.00 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.038 7
5.7 0.60 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
5.7 0.60 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 3
2.9 0.30 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 1.035 5

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
20.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 6.9 45 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 6.0 45 min.
30.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 6.8 20 min.
30.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 5.9 20 min.
40.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 0.0 0 min.
40.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.10 Oz Irish Moss Fining 5 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

us-56

Not a bad hop, in my limited experience.

I used it for my NSW 2006 Xmas case beer. The recipe is now is the recipes section.

Your 2 cents has expired. Please insert more money for further advice.

Seth :p

I use it as the bittering hop in my Southern german larger with saaz for flavour & aroma. Yum. Had 2 kegs of it disappear over new year :beer:

Hopefully this year there will be enough D Saaz to get to homebrewers, looking forward to trying the other NZ Triploid Saaz type.

Amen!!

LC Bright Ale and Mac's Sassy Red are the two beers that spring to mind, Bright Ale using it for flavour/aroma alongside some american hops (possibly horizon and cascade or amarillo) and the Sassy Red uses it exclusively (and in very large quantities). Also from New Zealand, Limburg's Hopsmacker uses it with English Fuggles, as does Emerson's Bookbinder. I'm guessing it is also what makes Emerson's Pilsner so fine. Are there any Kiwi's out there that can tell us who else is using it? I've heard of some hb pilsners brewed with this taking out best of category.

I picked up some to brew a Sassy Red clone, and coupled it with Nelson Sauvin, because it seemed like a good idea. Still brewing, but as yet it smells incredible.

What I really like about this hop is it's contribution of both the classic herbal/grassy/hoppy saaz flavours as well as some really fruity citrus-like notes reminiscent of some american varieties.

I think I'm going to be using a lot more of this hop in the near future.

P.S. Tony - that sounds delicious!

I used it for the first time in this.

My LC bright ale clone.

Im going to rack it to the keg thisafternoon and it smells and tastes great

cant wait till its cold and gassed up

LC Bright Ale Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 52.00 Wort Size (L): 52.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.71
Anticipated EBC: 6.7
Anticipated IBU: 25.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
66.7 7.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 3
19.0 2.00 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.038 7
5.7 0.60 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
5.7 0.60 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 3
2.9 0.30 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 1.035 5

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.
Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
20.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 6.9 45 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 6.0 45 min.
30.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 6.8 20 min.
30.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 5.9 20 min.
40.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 0.0 0 min.
40.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 0.0 0 min.
Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.10 Oz Irish Moss Fining 5 Min.(boil)
Yeast
-----

us-56
CRUMBS Tony

I looked at your hop additions ....then at your grain bill and near died !! :huh:
Only to realise that you're brewing 52 litre batches :rolleyes:

Cheers
Redgums

TD,

You won't get the dreaded Saaz grassiness from fresh hops.. GO FOR IT :)

cheers Ross

Ross, they are pellets. By "fresh" do you mean flowers? Will the pellets give be grassy flavours if dry hopped?

Ross, they are pellets. By "fresh" do you mean flowers? Will the pellets give be grassy flavours if dry hopped?

Pellets are fine T.D. :) - the fresher the better though...

Cheers Ross

Beaudy. They still have great aroma out of the packet so I assume they are quite fresh. Worth a shot I reckon! Might even brew a B Saaz Pale Ale tomorrow morning...

Back