Motors, Pulleys & Belts - Where To Buy In Syd?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
As soon as the new Millmasters arrive, Im getting me one.
Dont really want to muck around with drills etc, so looking at motorising it straight away.
Can anyone give me advise on a one stop shop where I can get a motor, pullys and belt.
I dont have the time to be fluffing around going from place to place and possible ending up with incompatible parts.
I want to do it once and do it right.

From what I have read here, a 4 pole 1HP motor is the go at 1440 rpm.
12" on the mill & 2 inch on the motor.
Does that sound about right?

Is there such a shop around western / nth western sydney, or anywhere in sydney? Dont mind a bit of a drive if I can get the lot at one place.
A search on the web didnt come up with too many results, but those types of business generally dont have the best webpages.

Cheers in advance

Gregor

Once upon a time, there would have been many helpful answers to such a question, by many helpful and experienced brewers.
Hopefully there are still such brewers out there that can offer me useful advise.

Heres hoping.

Or in other words....BUMP.

Gregor

not a build for your mill but surely you can adjust from this

mill project

Hutch ans AndrewQld have both built this system and im in the middle of my build up

Kleiny

Hello Gregor,

Check out Hare and Forbes . Thay are located in North Parramatta ,on Windsor road I believe

They sell all sorts of woodworking and metalworking machinery which involve electic motors, pulleys and belts.

They may be able to help or know of a business which can.

Regards

Graeme

Blackwoods have all the pulleys you need. I belive the new Mill master is using an imperial size shaft to make selecting a pulley easier. If thats the case I would suspect it woudl be half inch.

Most 240V motors have a 3/4" shaft so the 2" 1A section aluminium pulley with 3/4" bore part number from blackwoods is 0901 4204. Expect to wait 7-10 working days for it to have the bore done as I believe they buy blanks and just have them drilled.

12" with a 1/2" bore is 0839 9205. Obviously check and confirm your required sizes and make sure those part number I've given are what you indeed need.

For reference I purchased a 1.5" and 10" recently and I think it cost me about $40 or $50 for the pair.
If you have access to a Blackwoods catalogue they are shown on page 18-14

Blackwoods have all the pulleys you need. I belive the new Mill master is using an imperial size shaft to make selecting a pulley easier. If thats the case I would suspect it woudl be half inch.

Most 240V motors have a 3/4" shaft so the 2" 1A section aluminium pulley with 3/4" bore part number from blackwoods is 0901 4204. Expect to wait 7-10 working days for it to have the bore done as I believe they buy blanks and just have them drilled.

12" with a 1/2" bore is 0839 9205. Obviously check and confirm your required sizes and make sure those part number I've given are what you indeed need.

For reference I purchased a 1.5" and 10" recently and I think it cost me about $40 or $50 for the pair.
If you have access to a Blackwoods catalogue they are shown on page 18-14

Cheers Guys

Gap - Hare & Forbes might be the go for a cheap motor. $150 for 1HP 1440RPM

Komodo - You are a legend. Obviously in this type trade or similar. Just got a few questions for you.
I had a look at the blackwoods catalogue, found the part numbers you wrer referring to, but there were also the same sized pullys in sections 2A, 1B& 1B. Whats the difference?
You also noted that you got a 1.5 & 10". Is this a bettter option than the 2 & 12 combination?
Can you also point me in the right direction for an appropriate belt type. I should be able to work out the length. I believe that further away (longer belt) is preferable so more of the belt is in contact with the small pulley.

Final question (for anyone). What would my resulting rpm be with a 1440rpm motor with a 2" pully driving a 12" on the mill? Alternatively, a 1.5 & 10" combo.

Cheers

Gregor

Nah I'm in structural steel.

1A is a single pulley A profile belt.
2A is a twin pulley A profile belt

2B is a twin pulley B profile belt etc.

I asked the same question when I was purchasing mine.

10" & 1.5" @ 1440 RPM will give you 216 RPM at the big pulley the way I understand it
12" & 2" @ 1440 RPM will give you 240 RPM at the big pulley - again this is just the way I understand it.

That motor your looking at from hare and forbes is that capacitor start & capacitor run? if so thats cheap! I might have to stick one of those on the work account and get my compressor motor back!

Theres calculators online for calculating belt wrap and such.
When I did mine I put the motor and mill on to a frame I had the boys in the work shop knock up for me then I wrapped a bit of rope around the pulleys to work out the belt size and just took that to my local bolt supplier (who also stocks belts) and got the appropriate belt. Make sure your motor has a reasonable amount of adjustment. I had slotted holes in the base plate and the motor had slotted mounts so I have heaps of movement to get the correct tension on the pulley. I've seen some guys use a mounting plate which hinges to adjust belt tension. Some guys use the motor weight to apply the tension others use all thread to apply the tension

Nah I'm in structural steel.

1A is a single pulley A profile belt.
2A is a twin pulley A profile belt

2B is a twin pulley B profile belt etc.

I asked the same question when I was purchasing mine.

10" & 1.5" @ 1440 RPM will give you 216 RPM at the big pulley the way I understand it
12" & 2" @ 1440 RPM will give you 240 RPM at the big pulley - again this is just the way I understand it.

That motor your looking at from hare and forbes is that capacitor start & capacitor run? if so thats cheap! I might have to stick one of those on the work account and get my compressor motor back!

Theres calculators online for calculating belt wrap and such.
When I did mine I put the motor and mill on to a frame I had the boys in the work shop knock up for me then I wrapped a bit of rope around the pulleys to work out the belt size and just took that to my local bolt supplier (who also stocks belts) and got the appropriate belt. Make sure your motor has a reasonable amount of adjustment. I had slotted holes in the base plate and the motor had slotted mounts so I have heaps of movement to get the correct tension on the pulley. I've seen some guys use a mounting plate which hinges to adjust belt tension. Some guys use the motor weight to apply the tension others use all thread to apply the tension

This is the motor that I found https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?...Code=E040#specs
Not too sure if it is cap start & run, but it says its reversable. Its also 5/8 shaft, but I suppose Ill just get the pulley to suit. do the pulleys come with the keyway?
Is there an advantage in cap start & run?

Sorry OP, mild OT:

What is the desired RPM of a mill?

I have a fairly small roller sized 'barley crusher' and a motor with a 2" pulley.... yet to hook up, been using a drill but can't control well and 'rips' grain!

AND, what is the math to work out the pulley size?

Cheers

I've just been working it out like this 1440 RPM / 10" = 144RPM @ 1" * 1.5 (as I wish to use a 1.5" pulley) = 144 * 1.5 = 216RPM final drive
so for 12 & 2 its 1440/12=120*2=240. Assuming my maths is correct. You could also go 1440 / (12 / 2) = 240

Monster brewing hardware reccomend a 150 - 250 RPM rate.

I've just been working it out like this 1440 RPM / 10" = 144RPM @ 1" * 1.5 (as I wish to use a 1.5" pulley) = 144 * 1.5 = 216RPM final drive
so for 12 & 2 its 1440/12=120*2=240. Assuming my maths is correct. You could also go 1440 / (12 / 2) = 240

Monster brewing hardware reccomend a 150 - 250 RPM rate.

Absolutely mighty mate! Thanks heaps.

Ok thread, please carry on! :icon_cheers:

Last year I retired the old shop mill, it was driven by a drill press, god only knows how many tons of malt it got through, here's a link to a very old thread on the same subject.
post-1550-1152617378.jpg

And my old mill not even a bit sentimental just love the new mill at 1.1 ton an hour it's a real beast

MHB

Sorry OP, mild OT:

What is the desired RPM of a mill?

I have a fairly small roller sized 'barley crusher' and a motor with a 2" pulley.... yet to hook up, been using a drill but can't control well and 'rips' grain!

AND, what is the math to work out the pulley size?

Cheers

desired RPM is debatable, but it tends to depend on the size of the rollers...for a given rpm, the bigger diameter rollers will be moving faster at the surface than smaller ones would be. I run my millmaster at 115rpm and it gets through 8kg in under 2min.

The drive reduction is (Mill Pulley)/(Motor Pulley). In my case that's 10"/1.25" = 8. My motor rpm is 920rpm, so the speed at the mill is 920/8 = 115

Latest posts

Back