Motorised Monster Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
Finanly got my mill just about finished today, really happy the way it turned out!

Built the cabinet from mostly scrap / scrounged materials, motor from ebay, coupler from Jaycar, Old server power supply, coffee can hopper!

Just need to mount the power supply, and get a switch.

Video is of it crushing 2kg of grain

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work!

Same motor as I'm running on my mm2. Good aren't they? ;)

Watch out putting your fingers in the hopper though, that motor will probably pull one of them off. A paint brush works well + less risk :icon_cheers:

Finanly got my mill just about finished today, really happy the way it turned out!

Built the cabinet from mostly scrap / scrounged materials, motor from ebay, coupler from Jaycar, Old server power supply, coffee can hopper!

Just need to mount the power supply, and get a switch.

Video is of it crushing 2kg of grain

nice setup! i'm in the process of setting up a similar system. Bought a mm2-2.0, the exact same motor and coupler and now have purchased a 12 volt power supply of ebay. How many amps does your power supply put out? I took a punt and went for 10 amp so hopefully that will chew through the grain okay

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that you know you would never get your fingers in the mill...
Made me nervous watching you put your hand in there.
Paintbrush FTW.
You were only a brief lapse in concentration away from loosing a finger or 2.

On the upside - thats a nice setup and it certainly maintains a much steadier pace than my Black and Decker crank handle. :)

Holy snapping arseholes. :unsure:

You cant see it, but there is actually quite a distance from the hole to the rollers. I'd have to be trying to get the finger in there, but yes, I will be getting a a paintbrush shortly to do it.

The powersupply is a 17amp supply, it has no trouble at all.

LOL, thats something I havent been called in a while!

It was an expression rather than name calling.

I too have the same motor but yet to fit to my mill, perhaps after the next shut.

It was an expression rather than name calling.

I too have the same motor but yet to fit to my mill, perhaps after the next shut.
I gathered that! Dont mind me, I just have a twisted sense of humour. I blame my father. :)

Looks good, love the idea of the door to keep the dust levels down.

As spork mentioned, get your fingers away and get yourself a paintbrush, just to be safe

QldKev

nice setup! i'm in the process of setting up a similar system. Bought a mm2-2.0, the exact same motor and coupler and now have purchased a 12 volt power supply of ebay. How many amps does your power supply put out? I took a punt and went for 10 amp so hopefully that will chew through the grain okay

I've only got an 8amp power supply on mine as thats the PSU I had spare at the time. I was always going to swap it out for a bigger one but found there is no need.

QldKev

Holy snapping arseholes. :unsure:

Whew! I had the same reaction watching your hand in there. Another solution would be to install a bit of heavy-duty mesh in that drop hole. Large enough for grain to drop through freely, while small enough to absolutely keep a finger from getting to those rollers. Looks good, tho.

reVox

Holy snapping arseholes.

As spork mentioned, get your fingers away and get yourself a paintbrush, just to be safe

Whew! I had the same reaction watching your hand in there. Another solution would be to install a bit of heavy-duty mesh in that drop hole. Large enough for grain to drop through freely, while small enough to absolutely keep a finger from getting to those rollers. Looks good, tho.

looks good but why not pop rivet or silastic a little valley in the hopper to funnel the grain to the rollers, eliminate the need for fingers or paint brushes altogether, not slagging your mill, it's a ripper :icon_cheers:

Yard

finger_saver.jpg

Why not take a funnel with same diameter top as your coffee can..

cut the bottom bit off so the bottom of the funnel matches the diameter of your existing hole above your mill
(cut off any other bits off the top that stick out too, if there are any)..

Fit it, and silicone it in place.. (top and bottom)

Then you won't need fingers, brush, or anything.. You'll lose a small amount of space, but it's worth it.

finger_saver.jpg

Why not take a funnel with same diameter top as your coffee can..

cut the bottom bit off so the bottom of the funnel matches the diameter of your existing hole above your mill
(cut off any other bits off the top that stick out too, if there are any)..

Fit it, and silicone it in place.. (top and bottom)

Then you won't need fingers, brush, or anything.. You'll lose a small amount of space, but it's worth it.

The can itself, does already have a slight cone shape on the bottom, it's just not as effective as I had hoped!

I'm going to build a better hopper soon, one that wont require fingers (or anything else) to get the grain down!

The original Monster Mill hoppers feed all grain cleanly with no finger/paint brush action required

Can someone send me a link to these motors on eBay, sounds like a better and faster alternative to my windscreen motor I'm currently using

Latest posts

Back