Motorhead frontman Lemmy dead at 70

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tavas

Reaction score
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/hard-living-lemmy-kilmister-mot-rhead-dies-70-band-confirms-n487071

2008Motorhead01Getty120914.article_x4.jpg

I don't even like Jack Daniels but may have to raise one in his honour...

http://youtu.be/co9yv2NjyWs
A very formative moment in my life, courtesy of the ABC in the early 1980's

Fat ******* said:
http://youtu.be/co9yv2NjyWs
A very formative moment in my life, courtesy of the ABC in the early 1980's
Haha - many of my formative memories revolve around great British comedy, mostly in in the 1980s - thanks to my dad and older sister!

Very sad news. Motorhead is one of my favourite bands. Unfortunately never got to see them live but I have all their albums and I'm sure one or two will be getting cranked tonight.

I did see a picture of him recently with Sebastian Bach and he looked pretty frail, didn't figure he had long left.

RIP Lemmy, you'll be missed.

\m/

'Saw them live 3 times...

My 1st-ever live gig :eek: -1981 at the West Runton Pavillion in UK as the "Classic" 3-piece lineup. 1st gig on the "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" tour. Never made it to the album... :angry: .

**** ME it was loud!!!!!! But not the loudest gig I ever went to...(that's reserved for Hawkwind/Slade/Girlschool at the UEA Common room) I always wore ear plugs at gigs after that, but I'm still partially deaf.

I met Lemmy & Phil Taylor & had a beer with them & got them to autograph the inside of my leather jacket..... I bullshit you not!

Nothing like Motorhead.....Nothing....& now Lemmy's gone.

RIP.

"Since naught so stockish, hard, and full of rage,
But music for the time doth change his nature.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted."

Merchant of Venice

Girlschool, another one of my favourite bands. That must have been a moment to meet Lemmy and Phil and have your jacket signed!

DSCN1416.JPGDSCN1417.JPG
Rocker1986 said:
Girlschool, another one of my favourite bands. That must have been a moment to meet Lemmy and Phil and have your jacket signed!
Yeah, mate. At the Girlschool gig, every piece of clothing I was wearing was literally rattling against my body & my guts could feel every kick of the bass drum. It wasn't just sound, more a sonic attack.

I just had to go & check my memory (& the jackets!). I met Philthy, but didn't get the autograph at the time. I met them after the West Runton gig & had a beer. Wicked sense of humor, the both of them.

Many years later, I saw Motorhead at the Nunawading Skate Ranch in Melbourne when they were a 4-piece & got the autographs of Wurzel, Phil Campbell & what looks like Janick Gers (ex-Gillan band & Iron Maiden) in the jacket...unless my memory is failing me....?

In the Leather jacket, you can just make out the autographs of Ian Gillan, Jon Lord, Roger Glover & Ian Paice (Ritchie Blackmore was/is a royal PRICK!!). You probably know what band they were in.....

Edit: Just in case anyone might be thinking I'm a bullshit artist......

That is brilliant! I sometimes think I was born in the wrong era given most of my music is all this old classic stuff. I do indeed know that band, they were the first band I saw live actually, although Jon Lord had gone by then as had Blackmore. They were replaced by Don Airey and Steve Morse. Ian Gillan was wearing what looked like rags on stage... :lol:

I'm a little disappointed I never got to see Motorhead live though. But I have managed to see some of my other favourites so I can't complain too much I suppose given they're all getting on now.

Watch Part 2 of Blood & Thunder on ABC1 next Tues.

Your in for a great lesson and nostalgia trip into Aussie pub rock.

I lost count of the number of bands I saw in my 20-30's....all in pubs and small venues.

I miss those days...pubs dont put bands on like they used to anymore :(

I was in the car on Tuesday when the news of Lemmy's passing was announced. The kids had to contend with me turning up the Ace of Spades as it was played by JJJ in tribute.
Could any other song have been appropriate (with the lyrics of 'I don't wanna live forever')?

MartinOC said:
'Saw them live 3 times...

My 1st-ever live gig :eek: -1981 at the West Runton Pavillion in UK as the "Classic" 3-piece lineup. 1st gig on the "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" tour. Never made it to the album... :angry: .

**** ME it was loud!!!!!! But not the loudest gig I ever went to...(that's reserved for Hawkwind/Slade/Girlschool at the UEA Common room) I always wore ear plugs at gigs after that, but I'm still partially deaf.
I remember an interview with Angus Young and him saying they (ACDC) thought they were the loudest band in the world until they heard Motorhead. I remember seeing ACDC on their Razors Edge tour and F me it was loud. Ears ringing for about 3 days afterwards, so I can only image how loud Motorhead were. I also remember an interview with Lemmy in which he described how they were drawing so much current for the PA at a gig that they took out a local power sub station haha. RIP Lemmy.

Motorhead played the last ever gig at the West Runton Pavillion before it was demolished, so the PA was never to be used again.....they pushed it hard.

Anecdotally, it was rumoured that people inside the pub 200m down the road couldn't hear themselves talk..... :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_Louder_than_Everyone_Else

Just sayin' ...

Former MOTÖRHEAD guitarist "Fast" Eddie Clarke says that "the world seems like a really empty place" following the passing of the band's mainman, Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister.

In a posthumous Ouija interview, Lemmy asks Eddie to rejoin the original band lineup for an awesome tour, tentatively named "Mötorhead deafens every C*** in Hell".

But he was a nice guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_VEdra0wUE

Ducatiboy stu said:
Dave70 will be shattered

Indeed..

Got the news literally as we were stepping out the door of our B&B in on the way to the Taste of Tasmania.
I was the saddest man at the festival. Briefly.
Then upon finding the beer tents, drank straight through the seven stages of grief, $8 per stage.

Latest posts

Back