Motion Dynamics Mill Motor Wiring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar problem with mine. I stalled it starting with a full hopper of wheat and too small a gap.
This let the smoke out of the board and the speed control no longer worked. Still milled at single speed.

They got me to send the board back and they repaired for free. Took a while and a couple of calls to get it returned as I think it was miss placed

I would follow the negative circuit on the board through and find out which of the terminals this is for the potentiometer.
I would then connect the negative terminal to one of the outside potentiometer terminal (only this conenction) effectivly grounding this to circuit then check the resistance of the other two potentiometer connections with multimetre and see if they read from 0-4.45k.

Thanks Caney.
I'm no expert at this stuff so you'll have to explain it to me like a child.
So I connect up the board to the 12V power supply & fire it up, ( motor is now running ) after I have connected the middle terminal from the board to the middle terminal of the potentiometer then put my probes on the other two ports of the pot, turn the dial & check if the value increases, decreases when I turn the dial?
I won't kill myself with the board active will I?

Last edited:
I would follow the negative circuit on the board through and find out which of the terminals this is for the potentiometer.
I would then connect the negative terminal to one of the outside potentiometer terminal (only this conenction) effectivly grounding this to circuit then check the resistance of the other two potentiometer connections with multimetre and see if they read from 0-4.45k.

Ok,
Without power on, as you look at the pot, I soldered one wire onto the left port of the pot then the wire runs to the middle presumably ground on the board & I get 4.45 on the multi meter from the other two ports on the pot. When I rotate the knob clockwise, the value does in fact decrease from 4.45 to 0.

Thanks for all your help guys but it's the end of the road.
I somehow smoked my 12V power supply so in a fit of rage, it's all in the bin.
Motor still works though. Happy days.

Take 2.
Ordered some gear off ebay & we're off.
Wired it all up to see if it would work & presto, it works perfectly. 0-100% speed control on the motor.
Thanks Motion Dynamics for the awesome motor but you can stick the dodgy board & your pathetic customer service right where the sun don't shine.

IMG_1920.JPGIMG_1921.JPGIMG_1922.JPGIMG_1923.JPG

Thanks for all your help guys but it's the end of the road.
I somehow smoked my 12V power supply so in a fit of rage, it's all in the bin.
Motor still works though. Happy days.
Read this and ordered the KK unit, all the hassle you have had didn't seem worth the price difference to me.

Anyway good to see you got it all working in the end.

When I get my unit I'll post a quick report of how it goes.

Read this and ordered the KK unit, all the hassle you have had didn't seem worth the price difference to me.

Anyway good to see you got it all working in the end.

When I get my unit I'll post a quick report of how it goes.

Under normal circumstances, It wouldn't of been a problem, I just got a dodgy board & my mistake toasted my 12V power supply.
The new gear I ordered from ebay is perfect. I just need to get it installed into a box & get the mill on a stand & I'm ready to go.

Keg king motor and gearbox arrived on Friday, comprehensive kit of parts, including 10 and 12 mm spider connectors and key for gearbox. All parts were wired up except for a power lead, quick trip to Mitre 10 had that sorted.

I spent yesterday mounting it all to the mill, biggest hassle was getting the height of the shafts to match, the mill was 4 mm lower than the gearbox which I fixed with some shims made from 3 mm thick perspex and 1 mm steel.

I wired the panic button up to the mains lead, plugged in switched on and the rollers went round, just need to test on grain, next weekend probably.

IMG_20200501_164654.jpg

Going to have to do something with my mill, haven't got the room for anything fancy, still using the drill with a hole drilled in the trigger as a stop to get the right revolutions.
I will have to get my thinking cap on and make a permanent set up with the drill.

Just for completeness, I used the mill powered by the KK motor/gearbox unit, it worked flawlessly and un-eventfully, milling 3.5 Kg of grain in just a few minutes.

I know our hobby is about doing stuff because we can but I don't see any value in saving a few bucks to power a mill.

In my case, $270 very well spent.

Just for completeness, I used the mill powered by the KK motor/gearbox unit, it worked flawlessly and un-eventfully, milling 3.5 Kg of grain in just a few minutes.

I know our hobby is about doing stuff because we can but I don't see any value in saving a few bucks to power a mill.

In my case, $270 very well spent.
I have the geared 3 roller KK mill have found it to be really good just using the drill, looks like I am going to go down the the motorised mill avenue now.

New Grain mill setup. Finally got it how I want it. 3 Roller Mill from Keg King. Motor and PCB controller from Motor Dynamics. Project box from Jaycar and Power Pak from Ebay. Crush is .085 (2.15mm) . Its portable so I can hang it on the wall and put on the round white tubs also Hopefully another brew next week coming up.
Grain Crush .085.jpg
Grainmill.jpg
Power pack.jpg

I worked out my motor power supply.
The 24v power supply was too low in wattage for my motor as well as my 12v power supply
I went to use my mill but the 2x dry cell batteries that I had connected as 24v wouldn’t work as one battery is dead, so in desperation I grabbed a 12v battery (sealed lead acid) with 275 cca and wow it worked
Did a bit of hunting and found that my motor draws 600w.
no wonder the power supplies wouldn’t power it

Back