Mother Of All Magnetic Stirrers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
Where I work is chucking out these magnetically coupled stirrers:

MagneticStirrer.jpg

I reckon it has enough grunt to stir mash.

Can I have one too ?
With the weight behind that unit I'm sure stirring wouldn't be a problem :lol:

Doc

i get free colour 'maps', you get free mag stirrers ... mmmmm sometimes i wish i took up a trade instead of this 'desk' job.

are you going to use it for mash stirring or femi stirring ?

re-reading your post answers my Q. must have been the huge lumps of metal that ahhem distracted me...

How many are they throwing out SOS? :D

Nice pic, been wondering what the guts of one looked like.
How big are they? Hard to put the photo to scale.

Hoops

so how u going to fit this HUGE mag stirrer into your batch sparge esky with the easy hooker ? perhaps have 2 mags & suspend the stirrer in the middle ?
:)

if u get enough - i would like one as well

I would not turn down an offer of such a beast....

dreamboat

In the lab where i work we have hotplate magnetic stirrers. These would be awesome for brewing as you dial in the temp you want and drop the temp probe into your reaction (chemical reaction that is!), but you could just as easily put it in a mash. I wonder if they make them big enough to use on a brewing scale?

Hoops said:
How many are they throwing out SOS? :D

Nice pic, been wondering what the guts of one looked like.
How big are they? Hard to put the photo to scale.
[post="54554"][/post]​
The impeller is 120mm across. Haven't tracked down the exact numbers yet.

Just get in an orderly queue.

sosman said:
The impeller is 120mm across.
[post="55967"][/post]​

Is the impeller the bit on the left or right? :huh:

sosman said:
Just get in an orderly queue.

Please place me in the queue Paul, just in case there's sufficient numbers.

Why not, I'll have one if they are going as well please

Ausdb

I had better follow up with the warehouse guys at work - they told me there were a few. FYI - these units have been used in laboratory instruments containing xylene, formaldehyde and other nasty stuff. Before it goes anywhere near my beer I am going to find out how to clean it. Maybe just make a brew and give it to the mother in law.

The other thing you need to know is that you will need to make a bearing to fit the hole and bearing surface on the impeller. I have a lathe so that won't be any drama but that might not be quite so easy for you.

I'm in too, PLEASE.....

Could you get a stir bar big enough??and do away with the contaminated part??

Linz said:
I'm in too, PLEASE.....
Could you get a stir bar big enough??and do away with the contaminated part??
[post="56012"][/post]​
I don't think the stir bar size would be a major problem but I think the 4 magnets might be. Gout tested it with a regular stir bar and it pulled to the side.

Also note that the motor in there is a stepper motor with no controller. If you have a stepper controller that is fine, I was planning to replace it with a DC motor.

Back