Most ridiculous price you have paid for a beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Guinness special release 1759 $49 well worth it because it is a beer I could never hope to replicate.
attachicon.gif
206.JPG
You got dudded by 39 years - bottle says 1798.

$35 for a westy 12 (which I know was fresh and refrigerated during transport) is the highest but not ridiculous. I paid willingly and enjoyed the beer and being able to experience it.

Ridiculous is any pint of nothing special over $10.

On another note.... Hahn Millennium Ale.

Can't remember how much it cost (a LOT), but I bought a dozen 750ml bottles with the intention of splitting the case with a mate.

We opened one to find out where it was currently "at" before cellaring the rest under his house & he immediately pulled-out of the deal there & then. I agreed with his/our assessment. I was left with 11 bottles of crap with no potential for improvement.

Tried them again about 6 months apart for a year, but it was still crap & ended-up turfing the rest down the sink.

That's expensive!

MartinOC said:
On another note.... Hahn Millennium Ale.

Can't remember how much it cost (a LOT), but I bought a dozen 750ml bottles with the intention of splitting the case with a mate.

We opened one to find out where it was currently "at" before cellaring the rest under his house & he immediately pulled-out of the deal there & then. I agreed with his/our assessment. I was left with 11 bottles of crap with no potential for improvement.

Tried them again about 6 months apart for a year, but it was still crap & ended-up turfing the rest down the sink.

That's expensive!
They couldn't give them away at my local bottle shop come 1/1/2000!!

I've still got one somewhere......

Yep I've got 2....might crack one this weekend.

So arrived in Adelaide and got a pint of India Red Ale from Prancing Pony Brewery for $7. That's better. Except pints in St seem to be schooner size in NSW.

$100 on a 700ml Scottish heavy ale who's name escapes me right now.

It was good, but not that good and based on the place I bought it, I suspect it was heavily marked up.

$90 for a barrel aged RIS, from a Malt Traders darkness evening. Forget the name, was nice though.

I have a collection of Thomas Hardy's Ale, most early 2000s. Sublime beers. Paid $25+/330ml and worth so much more to me in the enjoyment I get in drinking them. An aged barleywine is amazing.

mattyh77 said:
So arrived in Adelaide and got a pint of India Red Ale from Prancing Pony Brewery for $7. That's better. Except pints in St seem to be schooner size in NSW.
Did a couple of pub crawls through Adelaide a couple years back does not seem to be a standard pint changed from place to place.

Almost anything in Singapore is probably my most expensive, but in saying that can buy some very nice european beers for same price as Fosters or VB.

$35 for a 330ml barrel aged Boatrocker RIS is about the most I've paid for a beer.

lost at sea said:
had been at sea for a few months on a dry ship, went to anchor and paid off in singapore. got to the hotel and said bring us your coldest beer....after my first sip looked at receipt i was handed, 22 ******* dollars for a shitty Heineken.........
I refused to buy a beer in Changi last year when the cheapest they had was $22 for a Carlsberg (which I dislike immensely), yet you can buy 6 tiger in duty free for $10.

$5.30 for a schooner of Carlton Draught, or any other megaswill. It hurst me every time.

The title does day "ridiculous", not the most expensive.

Back