Most Neutral Hop For Bittering?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering, what would the most neutral hop variety be for using as a bittering addition?

Super alpha and magnum are pretty good. My favourite is probably super alpha, but i haven't used it for quite some time now.

I havent used it but i asked a similar question years ago, and many brewers responded with northern brewer being a very good, neutral bitterer.

As i said, no experience with it though.

I'm a Northern Brewer fan. Just started usig the German T 45 variety which 15%. Haven't tried a beer with it yet though.

I roll with magnum

Zoolander_Magnum.png

Galena is good, and you can make Mexican style lagers as well, ol. ;)

I think Super Alpha would be the most neutral bittering hop for any style of beer, followed by Magnum.

For me Northern Brewer for a Lager and Magnum for an Ale.

Last time I used warrior I remember it being fairly neutral

Magnum's bittering is clean but it is firm - that may not be neutral for some. I always think "soft" when people talk neutral bitterness.

+1 - Last year I did a Bo Pils for the comp season. I was a bit iffy on the AA% of the Saaz I was using so I slipped in a bit of Magnum as insurance. It wasn't a lot, only around 15g and whamm - far too bitter <_<

So I tricked it up with some very late Hallertau and it was reborn as a German Pils and won a trophy B)

Now I'm very conservative with the Magnum (mine is German Magnum). Apparently GER Magnum is the second biggest grown hop there after the Hallertau Mittelfreuh "family" so I reckon it must be a favourite for Pils bittering, as I experienced myself.

I haven't experimented a lot, but have been using Warrior a lot and like it.

Galena here. 60 minute boil and there's a tiny hint of berries, but it's tiny.

But in general ... the most neutral bittering hops are almost always the high AA% hops, simply because you use less of them. Some hops break this rule though - the big NZ hops come to mind.

Another thing a bit OT - have you ever noticed that the higher the AA%, the yellower the hop pellets? Saaz and Hallertau are dark greeny-blue, Galaxy is limey-yellow.

A big fan or Northern Brewer, used it recently in czech lager with saaz to boost the IBU's without breaking the bank,

could only taste the saaz and really clean bitterness.

Northern Brewer or Magnum here too. Good point about the high alpha%. The total going in is dwarfed by the delicious flavour and aroma hops anyway.

Back