Mosaic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O'Henry

Reaction score
MOSAIC ™
Mosaic™ (HBC 369) is an aroma hop variety developed by
Hop Breeding Company, LLC that was released in 2012. It
offers a unique and complex blend of floral, tropical, fruity,
and earthy characteristics that translate very favorably into
several styles of beer. Mosaic™ is the daughter of Simcoe®
(YCR 14) and a Nugget derived male.
Yield (kilos per hectare) 2,017 - 2,466
Yield (lbs per acre) 1,800 - 2,200
Alpha Acids 11.5 - 13.5%
Beta Acids 3.2 - 3.9%
Cohumulone (% of alpha acids) 24 - 26%
Total Oils (Mls. per 100 grams dried hops) 1.0 - 1.5
Myrcene (as % of total oils) 47 - 53%
Caryophyllene (as % of total oils) 5.2 - 7.8%
Humulene (as % of total oils) 13 - 16%
Farnesene (as % of total oils) < 1.0%
Storage (% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20° C) 75%

MOD: Above description added by Lord Raja Goomba I. Original post below:

Smelt Mosaic for the first time today, was bloody beautiful. The flowers were so oily, we were left with green and yellow hands. It has a fantastic aroma reminding me of Simcoe and Citra at the same time. Haven't been this excited for a new hop since smelling Stella for the first time. Am looking forward to trying some. Has anybody seen these yet?

Taken from here:
Mosaic (HBC 369) is an aroma hop variety developed by Hop Breeding Company, LLC that was released in 2012. It offers a unique and complex blend of floral, tropical, fruity, and earthy characteristics that translate very favorably into several styles of beer. Mosaic is the daughter of Simcoe� (YCR 14) and a Nugget derived male.

See document for full specs. El Dorado looks pretty good too...

Got them as a sample at work, am in the UK, so I was guessing they will be out in Aus soon-ish...

:icon_offtopic: another new hop
Meridian is an aroma variety whose flavor and aroma characteristics have been described as sweet lemon, mixed berry, tropical fruit, and cool mint. It has an unusually low alpha/beta ratio (6-7% alpha/9-10% beta). Worthy has its eyes on Meridian because of its versatility. It has shown promise in single hopped pale ales and IPAs, both as a late kettle addition and via dry hopping. It plays well with Belgian ales as well as European and American lager styles, giving the crisp, clean lager base a refreshing hop finish.

man this is passionfruit galore

kegged a mosaic ale today, force carbing, and will tap tomorrow

preliminary fermenter tasting is even closer to passionfruit than citra

bittering tastes very smooth for the estimated ibu

This is the hop I'm been planning to use in my next beer. I can't wait!

I got my hands on some of these the other day (Pellets)... cant wait to use them... but it's gunna be 3 weeks or so till I can due to all sorts of commitments :(

happy to split my share if anyone wants some (PM only)

poured a glass last night, actually four

hop flavour and aroma is fantastic, but wish i'd given it a little more a malt backbone, tastes like spritzy passion pop

wife was sitting next to me as i was drinking it, instead of the usual "that stinks like beer" comment, she said "that really smells like passionfruit".

the bittering is very smooth, so i will be upping the ibu next time i use them, and throwing a bit more malt at it, i think its probably a good candidate for a 10min ipa, 1.060 60 ibu

enjoy it fellas

donburke said:
poured a glass last night, actually four

hop flavour and aroma is fantastic, but wish i'd given it a little more a malt backbone, tastes like spritzy passion pop

wife was sitting next to me as i was drinking it, instead of the usual "that stinks like beer" comment, she said "that really smells like passionfruit".

the bittering is very smooth, so i will be upping the ibu next time i use them, and throwing a bit more malt at it, i think its probably a good candidate for a 10min ipa, 1.060 60 ibu

enjoy it fellas
Care you share your recipe?

I think I got the last two packs from Ross and I'm looking to brew something with them in the next couple of weeks. It would be good to have a baseline recipe to work from.

here is the recipe, but personally i'd up to 45 ibu, and instead of the JW pils, i'd use a maltier base malt such as maris otter. dont think i'll be using JW pils again

Recipe: MOSAIC ALE
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 63.00 L
Boil Size: 72.92 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 89.29 %
0.50 kg Carared (Weyermann) (45.0 EBC) Grain 3.57 %
0.50 kg Victory Malt (55.0 EBC) Grain 3.57 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Red) (4.7 EBC) Grain 3.57 %
20.00 gm Mosaic [12.20 %] (75 min) (First Wort HopHops 10.7 IBU
70.00 gm Mosaic [12.20 %] (25 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
90.00 gm Mosaic [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
2.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
7.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
7.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) Yeast-Ale
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 14.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 42.00 L of water at 70.9 C 66.0 C
5 min Step Add 42.00 L of water at 91.5 C 78.0 C
5 min Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 5 min 78.0 C

Notes:
------
fwh is at first runnings
25 min addition is cube hopped

fill 2 x 17 litre cubes, each cube hopped with 21g mosaic
fill 1 x 23 litre cubes, each cube hopped with 28g mosaic

ferment 40 litres with 2 packs us05 @ 17 degrees, dry hop with 60g mosaic
ferment 17 litres with wy3711 (1.5 litre starter) @ 22 degrees ambient, dry hop with 30g mosaic

the beer i had carbed was one of the us05 ones, and i'm a little bit worried about the french saison one, knowing its gone lower, its probably stripped what little malt was left, time will tell as its force carbing and will be tapped tonight

I dry hopped my keg with Mosaic yesterday, left it a few hours and what a mad difference it made.. as strong a 'floral' hit as Citra, but different.. and in a good way, Im only going to leave the bag in till tonight, I think it wont need any longer than that.

mmmmm :icon_drool2:

hasn't "blueberry" been thrown out as a descriptor for this hop? Anyone got that?

I also dry hopped with Mosaic (and Citra) yesterday, fermentation has finished but I plan on leaving it in the fermenter for a few days then crash chill for 2 days, then keg. Mind you I only added 0.5g/L of each so it's hopefully not going to overpower it.

I have not bothered to smell the difference yet, lets hope that it's good!

BTW in this brew I have used Amarillo, Mosaic and Citra so it's going to be fun.

Just mashing a pale now, bittering with Magnum, flavouring with Mosaic to 40 IBU and a 2g/L dry hop Mosaic as well. Just a basic 90/5/5 Ale, wheat, crystal malt bill. :super:

Latest posts

Back