Mosaic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the recipe I used for the 10 Minute

Mosaic 10min IPA (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.065 (°P): 15.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.39 %
Colour (SRM): 8.4 (EBC): 16.6
Bitterness (IBU): 60.5 (Average)

96% Maris Otter Malt
4% Amber Malt

7.7 g/L Mosaic (11% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 17°C with Safale US-05

Boiled the brew a bit to hard ended up with an SG of 1072 & FG 1018. Might be a good mistake :beerdrink:

Yob said:
Is that the IPA?

I'd have gone heavier late and aimed for about 40 to 45 IBU.. I rekon it's probably nice as a pale but just a bit light on for an AIPA to my eye mate.. Kegged? If so you could always keg hop it.. That'll make it pop
Nah, the APA.

Yob said:
Make sure you have one of these about Christmas time lukiferj, will be round to give a go and confirm
Ha ha. No worries Yob. Should have it close to perfected by then!

hmm... my Mosaic APA is starting to turn pretty interesting... it's like a Willy Wonka's Everlasting Gobstopper!

So far, in the last glass; it's moved from blueberry to blackberry, shown a little bit of Centennial and an aroma similar to that of a faint Galaxy.

Ok fellas, looks like I will be using Mosaic next weekend.

I need to go grain to glass in 7 days, APA with a strong malt backbone and either all Mosaic or mix it up?

If you have the right accompanying hops, mix it up I say, either way will not disappoint, the brew I took to the swap day was demolished and had been in the keg for 36hrs or something stupid like that... I think that was a 3 hop.. memory fades..

Have at it soldier

Yob said:
If you have the right accompanying hops, mix it up I say, either way will not disappoint, the brew I took to the swap day was demolished and had been in the keg for 36hrs or something stupid like that... I think that was a 3 hop.. memory fades..

Have at it soldier
Do you only have Mosaic as 450gm packs?

Errr, no.. Will have a look at stock this morning, should be listed, just possibly need to update inventory.

ed: Fixed.

Did a couple more with mosaic this weekend.

1st a Golden Rye Ale (based on Dr Smurto's) with Mosaic continuously hoped for 30mins.

2nd an APA Continuously hoped with a equal mix of Mosaic, Simcoe and Centennial.

Turned into a continuous hop day, finished with a Dog Fish Head 60min clone (13hr brew/drink day :chug: )

Thinking this might be my new go to hop, thanks for putting me onto this one Yob :)

I did a Mosaic APA and loved it, I then went away for work for a month, after 6-7 weeks it's lost most of it's flavour. Great hop but drink it fresh.

Batz

Just had a crack at the 10min I did with this, she's an up front hop! Beer's still way too green though.

2 or 3 more weeks in the bottle and :icon_drool2:

More than happy to have ya round Yob, as long as your up for the 4 hr drive.

Thanks for the tip Batz, might steer clear of the bigger beers with this hop. Reckon I will keep it to session beers.

Cheers Jefin :drinks:

Took 20, 500ml swingtops of my Mosaic APA with me camping on the weekend, but I should have taken another 20, they were a hit. :chug:

When I got home, one of my neighbors, who I'd given a couple of bottles to earlier, told me he didn't like it and had tipped half one bottle out and would bring back the other!

Personally, I love it and if i didn't already have way too much hops in my freezer I'd be getting some more.

I've got a single hopped pale ale in the fermenter at the moment (just about to bottle). Tastes great out for the fermenter. Definitely a mango flavour there. Slight rotten fruit too.

Spiesy said:
I really wanted to like it. The Kooinda Mosaic @ GABS smelled AMAZING. I wonder how much they used to get that aroma though... I'm thinking perhaps I wasn't heavy handed enough?

My APA:
51% Wey Pils
19.2% JW Ale
16% Wey Munich I
9.6% CaraMunich II
4% Carapils

1046 OG. 1013 FG. 5.4% alc/vol.
19l batch. BIAB. NC. 60min mash @ 67.

14g Summit @ 60 for 16.7IBU
16g Mosaic @30 for 13.5IBU
15g Mosaic @ flame out
22g (2g/l) Mosaic dry hop (last 3-days)

BRY-97 for 2-weeks @ 18-degrees.
...And my to brew list grows longer.

Now that Amarillo isn't the hip thing, i suppose ill jump on the mosaic bandwagon :)

Just drinking my first beer now with mosaic hops (combined with Citra in an American dark ale). Dang that's a nice hop if I do say so myself...playing very nicely with the Citra and roasty flavours in the dark ale. Yum yum yum...

After getting all excited about my next (now last one made) Mosaic beer I am a little disappointed. The Lemon is overpowering in the hydro sample. Dry hopped with Mosaic and Cascade, prior to taste test... Here's hoping the lemon backs off a bit. Could be one of those kegs that lasts and lasts....

Latest posts

Back