Mosaic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fikuss said:
its amazing how different beers can be in the bottle to the keg though too spies dog.

maybe it was just that the kooi one was fresh kegged and the epic one's been bottled and sitting there a while.
keen to see how it tastes spiesy. brew session soon. you coming to the july case swap?
Only just saw this... sorry mate.

No, I won't be. I would like to do one soon though - although I'm hesitant to get into bottling...

Camo6 said:
I've got an APA in the fermentor ATM single hopped with Mosaic and it tastes deelish. I don't have the most articulate palate but sampling it all I can taste is those berry jube lollies and something else, maybe melon or kiwifruit? I'd planned on dry hopping this but not sure if I want passionfruit to take over. Anyone else picked up on these flavours before dryhopping?

Was trying to pinpoint the taste of this hop in the fermentor and couldn't quite nail it. The other night I was feeding the girls some Petit Miam yoghurt for dessert and recognised the same taste when "poison testing" their food. Damned if it wasn't blueberry flavour. Since then the flavour in the fermentor has dulled but I dry hopped tonight before crash chilling. Looking forward to this beer.

I made a Mosaic version of DrSmurto's Golden Ale, about 4% ABV. I split the batch with different yeasts and this baby came out like some sort of super Amarillo on the US-05 and kinda drab with the Nottingham yeast totally different beers. I knew the Nott would scrub out a fair bit of the hop flavour but the difference is huge. It was fairly lightly hopped in the boil and no dry hops.

just about to bottle a brew dry hopped with 20 g of mosaic.the beer smells just like a freshly opened passionfruit.the wife hates beer but even she wants to try this one.just hope it does not become too overpowering after one or two bottles.i would advise using this hop sraringly to begin with if dry hopping with it.(unless you really like passionfruit).

I got melon and berry with Mosaic. I think it plays very well with citrusy and passionfruity hops.

It plays well with Summit (well, it's a neutral bittering hop for my use) and very well with Citra, Cascade (in a mixed dry hop) and I've used it at 10 minutes as a flavour addition with Citra and IIRC Galaxy as well. That's in a AIPA.

I've also used it sparingly in an American style barleywine. I think I used magnum with it and maybe something else. I can't find the recipe here, maybe it's at home. This beer gets better with time, a barleywines are wont to do. But again, I haven't got any harsh bitterness from it as an earlier addition.

Have 450G of this on the way.

Planning to use it in a 10min IPA. Keeping the recipe nice and simple.

96% MO
4% Amber

Hopped at 8.2 g/l (11% AA)

Cant wait to crack the top on one of these :chug:

Yob said:
8g/l... You ain't feckin about with it!!

Nice one indeed, wish I could open one with you
Yep bit over the top, just love hops.

Portland/Melbourne case swap maybe :), might need to get that brew club going after all.

Good hop this one, tried a sample whilst bottling yesterday and it's good stuff.

Getting a lot of berry from it. Its certainly worth a go in a 10min IPA.

Hope it's as good once carbed, if so :icon_drool2:

I'm going out on a limb and saying... overrated.

It's nice enough, but I don't think it's worthy of the hype some people are attributing to it.

Have dry hopped an IPA with it (2g/L) with next to no results, and then used it in an APA for flavour and aroma additions, and it's reminding me of Amarillo - except more faint and with some melon vibes (which sounds nice, but the faintness is the main thing).

Meh... get back in line, Mosaic.

I have made two IPAs with this. One was mostly mosaic and the other was a mixture of citra and mosaic. Both were absolutely cracking beers and full of flavour and aroma. Will definitely be brewing a lot more with this hop. I have always found Amarillo underwhelming on its own.

Harsh man.. Brutal even.. It's up against a tough crowd with the likes of Amarillo Amarillo and Citra, but as the daughter of Simcoe great things are expected, personally I've not been let down by it and I think as new kid on the block has some well earned cred already..

Everyone's tastes are different though and my divine is another's muck..

Cheers

I'm drinking a brew right now with dry hopped mosaic in it.

Yummy.

I cant wait to use this hop again and next time with a much heavier hand :)

I really wanted to like it. The Kooinda Mosaic @ GABS smelled AMAZING. I wonder how much they used to get that aroma though... I'm thinking perhaps I wasn't heavy handed enough?

My APA:
51% Wey Pils
19.2% JW Ale
16% Wey Munich I
9.6% CaraMunich II
4% Carapils

1046 OG. 1013 FG. 5.4% alc/vol.
19l batch. BIAB. NC. 60min mash @ 67.

14g Summit @ 60 for 16.7IBU
16g Mosaic @30 for 13.5IBU
15g Mosaic @ flame out
22g (2g/l) Mosaic dry hop (last 3-days)

BRY-97 for 2-weeks @ 18-degrees.

Is that the IPA?

I'd have gone heavier late and aimed for about 40 to 45 IBU.. I rekon it's probably nice as a pale but just a bit light on for an AIPA to my eye mate.. Kegged? If so you could always keg hop it.. That'll make it pop

This was the last one I made. Really enjoyed it. All my dry hopping is done through keg hopping.

Mosaic IPA Recipe
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.650
Total Hops (g): 80.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.96 %
Colour (SRM): 8.3 (EBC): 16.4
Bitterness (IBU): 53.7 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pilsner (88.5%)
0.350 kg Caramunich III (6.19%)
0.300 kg Dextrose (5.31%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Mosaic Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Mosaic Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Mosaic Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Keg Hop) (0.9 g/L)

Make sure you have one of these about Christmas time lukiferj, will be round to give a go and confirm

Back