Mosaic Motueka IPA advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashPaddler

Reaction score
Never used Mosaic or motueka before, and am planning the following brew this afternoon. Any thoughts?

Cheers

J

Hope it's Wired IPA

ABV 7.17
O.G. 1.072
FG 1.018
IBU 62.8
Colour 12.3 SRM
Single Mash @ 67c for 60 min, mash out at 76c
US-05 starter

5.5kg Marris Otter
0.1 rye malt
0.2 crystal 60l
0.15 cararoma
0.3 caraamber

10g chinook @ 60
20g Mosaic @ 30
20g Motueka @ 20
20g Mosaic @ 15
10g Nelson @ 10
10g Motueka @ 10
dry hop 30g Mosaic

Hey J,

I love the Motueka hop and used it in a fair few ales at around a 20 min boil.
Although I reckon it tastes heaps better at flame out and dry hopping.
It seems to lose a lot of its characteristics in a boil (my opinion).
Quite floral / passionfruity as a dry hop or flame out addition.
That's just me though.

I dry hopped American amber with about 30g of mosaic and its tasting like passion fruit juice at the moment!

try mosaic by itself. Aslo what are you doing to your water? Hit it up with some salts!

If it were me, I'd have a least 75ibu considering you have a few dark crystals there.

edit - spelling

Just getting water to temp now (curse you Plonk for having too many beers to choose from). Might dial the mid boil additions back a bit and beef up the late additions of motueka and mosaic and the first addition of chinook. I must admit I never use salts and turn out tasty beer, the PH for canberra water is pretty good I thought - any recommendations for additions? I was aiming for a beer that meets the style guides, but god knows I love my IBUs so didn't take too much convincing to nudge it up a couple.

bullsneck said:
If it were me, I'd have a least 75ibu considering you have a few dark crystals there.

edit - spelling
Agreed, a good place to start achieving a balanced IPA is equal BU:GU ratio, or 1.072 + 72 IBU's.

Looks like a interesting hop combo, not really a B Saaz fan anymore, the last beer i made with smelt and tasted like potpourri..... :icon_vomit: , might have had something else going on, who knows....

Sure your beer will taste great!!

So I ended up with the following - first addition hops boiling now.

ABV 7.17
O.G. 1.072
FG 1.018
IBU 73.2
Colour 12.3 SRM
Single Mash @ 67c for 60 min, mash out at 76c
US-05 starter

5.5kg Marris Otter
0.1 rye malt
0.2 crystal 60l
0.15 cararoma
0.3 caraamber

30g chinook @ 60 (last bag of homegrown)
30g Mosaic @ 20
20g Motueka @ 20
10g Nelson @ 10
10g Nelson @ 0
10g Mosaic @ 0
dry hop 30g Mosaic

On the off chance the mosaic and motueka don't get along, I just went with a single addition at 20 minutes to add some complexity - enough to notice it but not enough to make it unbalanced if they don't. I think mosaic and nelson will be fine, Should be interesting at any rate.

Make sure you report how it turns out.

I knocked out a simple pale / wheat / Mosaic hopped to the mid 30's, plus 15g dry hop, and it was pushing the boundaries of to much of a good thing, for me anyway. A little seemed to go a long way.
Very passionfruity - piney - citrisy, (see how I just make up words).

Dave70 said:
Make sure you report how it turns out.

I knocked out a simple pale / wheat / Mosaic hopped to the mid 30's, plus 15g dry hop, and it was pushing the boundaries of to much of a good thing, for me anyway. A little seemed to go a long way.
Very passionfruity - piney - citrisy, (see how I just make up words).
So I kegged it this morning. Figured I would take a little in the glass just to see how it had gone. A full glass later and I am convinced this is going to be one of the best IPA's I have done - this hop combination absolutely categorically works. It starts off a really crisp clean bitter lemon verging on lime, and then moves into gooseberry - the nelson seems to boost the flavour of the mosaic. Has a fruit salad aroma, with predominant gooseberry. Will update with a pick once it's tapped next weekend. She is going to pack a punch though, it was supposed to finish at 1.018 but finished closer to 1.014..... Oh well :D

Latest posts

Back