Mosaic IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnax

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have only very recently gotten into the homebrew world but I was wondering if anybody could share with me a recipe for a mosaic SMaSH IPA?

Something that tastes similar to the Pirate Life Mosaic would be wonderful - One of my favourites going around at the moment.

Thanks everyone!

Happy Brewing :)

Why specifically a SMaSH? I get the single hop part - PL themselves say it's a single hop - but their malt bill is stated as "light". A single malt variety might not get you there. A splash of crystal and some munich wouldn't go astray I think, lax's link is a good source of malt ideas although they're referring to PL Pale Ale.

Why specifically a SMaSH? I get the single hop part - PL themselves say it's a single hop - but their malt bill is stated as "light". A single malt variety might not get you there. A splash of crystal and some munich wouldn't go astray I think, lax's link is a good source of malt ideas although they're referring to PL Pale Ale.

Thanks for the input.

Basically because everything involved is a rather new concept to me and I was trying to keep it as simple as possible at the beginning.
Certainly becoming more of an obsession as the days go on though!!

Thanks for the input.

Basically because everything involved is a rather new concept to me and I was trying to keep it as simple as possible at the beginning.
Certainly becoming more of an obsession as the days go on though!!
I can definitely appreciate simplicity - but I consider it simpler to borrow a tried & true grain bill than create your own. Good on you for making the leap though - experimentation is the lifeblood of this hobby IMO

For a 23L Batch: 6kg gladfields american ale malt. 10 grams gypsum. 60grams mosaic at 20 mins, 50grams mosaic at flameout/whirlpool, 200 grams mosaic dry hop. 2 packs US05, ferment at 18 degrees. BAM! super tasty mosaic smash!

I agree. I love a little light crystal and Munich in an IPA. A bit of protein like rye never goes astray either. Don't mean to complicate things but that recipe posted by laxation looks pretty on the money. Dry hop it once or twice and you're away!

Back