Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat Beer Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketonjo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. We got a Coopers Brewing kit for Christmas and I have just mixed my third batch which is currently fermenting. It's the Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat Beer and I have a few questions which I hope someone can answer (I'm very new to home brewing).

First, the ingredients I used were:
- Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat Beer can (1.7kg)
- Morgans Master Blend Wheat Malt can (1kg)
- Dextrose (approx. 450gm)
- Finishing hops
- Brew Cellar Wheat beer yeast

After pretty much mixing everything above in 4 litres of hot water (except the yeast) and then adding cold water until I got to about 23 litres, the wort was about 32 deg. celsius. Morgans states that the yeast should be added from 22-30 deg. c. (optimum 25) but it also says that the yeast should be added straight away and stirred. Therefore I added the yeast and stirred at 32 deg. c. Is this going to make much difference?

Also, when I bottle (supposedly fermentation should be complete after 4-5 days) what type of sugar and how much should I use (I'm using 340ml bottles)?. Morgans suggests white sugar but I thought there may be a better alternative.

If anyone can answer the above two questions or give me any other helpful tips, I'd really appreciate it. I also plan to ask my local brew shop when I get the time.

Thanks
John

Welcome to AHB Goomeister,

1. Higher end temperature for fermentation may result in off flavours. Get it down as quickly as you can, if you're able. You'll still make beer but it might not taste the best it can. For the future use pre-chilled water or even ice (from a sanitised container) to make up the volume to get closer to pitching temp.

2. White sugar is fine, especially if you're using a supermarket sugar scoop. Anything finer (like dextrose or LDME) can get damp and clog up your tool. For 340mL bottles use the smaller side of the scoop (about 3g) per bottle.

Cheers,

microbe

Welcome to AHB Goomeister,

1. Higher end temperature for fermentation may result in off flavours. Get it down as quickly as you can, if you're able. You'll still make beer but it might not taste the best it can. For the future use pre-chilled water or even ice (from a sanitised container) to make up the volume to get closer to pitching temp.

2. White sugar is fine, especially if you're using a supermarket sugar scoop. Anything finer (like dextrose or LDME) can get damp and clog up your tool. For 340mL bottles use the smaller side of the scoop (about 3g) per bottle.

Cheers,

microbe

Thanks for that Microbe. The temperature went down to 30 deg.c about an hour after I added the yeast and is now down to 28 (about 4 hours after I added the yeast). I hope I can still get a decent tasting beer.

whenever I make a kit beer, I only ever use about 2L of boiling water to mix the ingrediants, the fill with cold water. seems to get down to pitching temp ok, so long as you run the water from the tap through a bit to make sure that its as cold as it can be.

to make up for the reduction in hot water at the start, soak your can in hot water for about 20mins first. That will make it a runny consistancy and easier to work with.

as for bottling, white sugar will work fine as microbe suggested, or altrenatively you can try the coopers "carb" drops from the supermarket. Just add 1 drop to the bottle before capping should work a treat. (2 for 750ml bottles) I find that white sugar produces more bubbles than carb drops though.

good luck, and enjoy the hobby!

Thanks for that. Actually, I made a typo error - I'm using 740ml bottles (as supplied with the Coopers brewing kit), not 340ml.

In that case, double what I said. About 6 grams per bottle or the larger side of the priming scoop.

Cheers,

microbe

Hi Guys, I need some help. I've done this KK twice now the first with the yeast that came with it and the batch stalled after 2 days of very active fermentation, it never moved from there the final ABV was 3.2 and my second with a fresh WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale yeast.
I added 1.5 kg liquid wheat malt and 400grms corn syrup. I have fermented at 24 degrees for 14 days. The OG was 1.044 and the FG is sitting on 1.016 for the past 3 days. This time the ABV is 3.5 (according to the conversion programs). What I'm trying to find out is, whether or not this is the expected final ABV for the kit?
Any help would be appreciated.
PM.

Latest posts

Back