Morgans Blue Mtn Lager Tastes A Little 'green'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregc

Reaction score
Wanted to share this as someone else may have experienced this.

the facts

Kit : morgans blue mtn lager
sugar : added 1kg dextrose.
prime : bulk (180g) dextrose.
ferment temp - warmish room at 20 deg c constant
ferment : 1 week
yeast - kit yeast
cold condition : no
racked to 2ndry : yes

the result :

carbonation = vgood -
abv : approx 5%
colour - light colour
flavour at 8-10 weeks = not mellow - it doesnt taste subtle and mellow - a little green aftertaste -still a 'young' taste after 10 weeks.
head - after 20 seconds not existant - new glass too

has anyone experienced this with
1. this brand
2. this kit from this brand
3. other kits ?

im trying not to be put off brewing as i enjoyed this muchly

thanks

gregc

Hi,
I put one down with 1kg brew booster (L.malt dry, dextrose, corn syrup) and 12g hallertau hops. Was pretty much drinkable after 2 weeks bottle conditioning. I fermented at around 20c.

This has conditioned even better with age and is really very good (about 10 weeks now); so much so that I put another one down with double the hops and a lager yeast, cold fermentation. It's been racked and is in the fridge still bubbling away after about 7 days in secondary.

This really is a good easy beer to make.
I'd suggest you try a brew booster mix combo next time with some hops, but this is just my taste.

A friend tried one of the first batch and said it tasted like Heineken.

Cheers :beer:
AC

How long was the beer in the secondary??

Also, if you use only dextrose, you tend to lose body as it's very easy for the yeast to process. Best to start using malt instead of dextrose because it improves head retention and body (at least in my experiences; when I went away from dextrose body and head became much better).

in secondary for about a week - room temp ---
did you guys ever just try it by itself like i did ? how was it ..
probably like mine ...

greg c
wizardry fireworks

I've done this kit with a 1kg brew booster from TCB.
Turned out great.

You might want to try only making it up to 20L instead of 23 as well

Rich

update

just took this green tasting batch back to my lbs for a taste to tell me if its me or the kit.

both

he mentioned it tasted like a morgans blue mtn lager should with nothing but dextrose added !

he recommended i scrap the dextrose and add
a brew enhancer bag(1kg) as a minimum for body etc
or to try a different type of beer as the lager is bitter - ish

got me a stockmans draught and morgans master lager malt enhacer and 500g dextrose

gregc...I've made Blue Mountain twice now.

First time around I don't recall anything other than a great beer, made it up with an "ultra brew" from the HBS + SAFlager yeast.

Did it again, this time with Morgans liquid malt + Cascade hops + SAFlager and it has the 'green taste' you mention after 6 weeks in the bottle (guess i've got a way to wait to get to your 10 weeks).

I'll leave it until it tastes ok before passing a final judgement but at the time, the 1st attempt at it was my best homebrew yet (since surpassed by others).

Maybe there was a dodgy batch? guess time will tell

cliffo

Have made two of these myself. One with a Dex/brew booster mix & one with a morgans lager malt ,saflager yeast and cluster finishing hops & CC for a few weeks.The second of the two is a much better brew . The first one had that green taste for a couple of months, the second tasted heaps better only after a month in the bottle.

sab and cliffo

relief

someone else has tasted the bitterness and 'green-ness'

it was my first batch so i was unsure -- looks like it just needs a little help then from a enhancer or morgans master lagr malt or something then

hey gregc, i use morgans blue mountain for my constant beer supply, never had a bad one yet after 10 batches so i think get rid of the 1kg dex and use something with a bit of malt in it and try using pride of ringwood hops with it.
i also have done a few stockman draughts too and you should have no trouble with that either..... hope this helps occ

occ what have you been chucking in with it other than the hopps

Update

I did the same brew exactly again -
blue mtn lager by morgans kit.

This time after fermenting in the primary, i threw the whole fermenter in the fridge.
it sat in there for cold conditioning for 3 weeks.

i thought this may help mellow out the flavours (as well as dropping the yeast of course) from what i have read here.

You know .. i bottled it yesterday and primed with sugar and tasted it
believe me it tasted less bitter and less sharp or 'green'

amazing - i was surprised - wonder if itll improve in thebottle now ..

anyway this was as an fyi

Update again

you wont believe me.
that first bitter -green- tasting batch has mellowed out perfectly.

amazing .. it tastes real good too.

all it needed was a good 2-3 months in storage

fyi fellows

gregc

gregc said:
Update

I did the same brew exactly again -
blue mtn lager by morgans kit.

This time after fermenting in the primary, i threw the whole fermenter in the fridge.
it sat in there for cold conditioning for 3 weeks.

i thought this may help mellow out the flavours (as well as dropping the yeast of course) from what i have read here.

You know .. i bottled it yesterday and primed with sugar and tasted it
believe me it tasted less bitter and less sharp or 'green'

amazing - i was surprised - wonder if itll improve in thebottle now ..

anyway this was as an fyi
[post="88013"][/post]​

Back