Morgans Australian old

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan Adamson

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried this can extract? I do enjoy a few schooies of tooheys old so wandering if it is fairly good clone of it and what would be best to use with it be it straight dex or brew enhancer or liquid malt
Cheers Al

Haven’t tried it - though curious myself. Personally, I’d probably give it a go with a tin of dark or amber malt, then throw in half a kilo of enhancer 1 (60/40 dex/maltodextrin). I’m finding that kit recommendations are fairly light handed, and I’m getting better beers from being bolder in the adjunct department. Steep a bit of chocolate malt in there if you’re game - but that might be veering off target if you’re trying to replicate the toohey’s.

Just give it a go and find out. Good luck!

Haven’t tried it - though curious myself. Personally, I’d probably give it a go with a tin of dark or amber malt, then throw in half a kilo of enhancer 1 (60/40 dex/maltodextrin). I’m finding that kit recommendations are fairly light handed, and I’m getting better beers from being bolder in the adjunct department. Steep a bit of chocolate malt in there if you’re game - but that might be veering off target if you’re trying to replicate the toohey’s.

Just give it a go and find out. Good luck!
Thanks for the information I might give that a go and get a can of dark malt tomorrow to chuck in. As for trying to clone the tooheys old it doesn’t have to be the same I don’t mind the coopers dark ale as well so maybe I’ll just mix it up a bit and see how it goes

Thanks for the information I might give that a go and get a can of dark malt tomorrow to chuck in. As for trying to clone the tooheys old it doesn’t have to be the same I don’t mind the coopers dark ale as well so maybe I’ll just mix it up a bit and see how it goes

I’m sure it’ll be good. Someone here posted an awesome spreadsheet for designing kit recipes, when I get a moment later I’ll find it again and link it.

I put on a coopers dark ale last weekend. Chucked in a kilo of enhancer 3 and steeped/mashed half a kilo of chocolate malt, then gave some centennial hops a quick boil. Just dry hopped it yesterday. The wort tasted pretty darn good - pretty excited about it. Also, I reduced the recommended 23 litres to 20 litres, because I was noticing my brews tasted a bit “thin” after they’d mellowed out (little as 3 weeks).

Keep us posted how it goes [emoji106]

Edit: here’s a link to the thread. This bloke did his homework. https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/kit-and-extract-beer-spreadsheet.29655/

Last edited:
Back