Morgans australian bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srimes101

Reaction score
Hi brewers ,
Ive decided my next brew is going to be a morgans australian bitter . The Recipe asks for 1kg sugar .

Ive got dextrose ready to go but after some reading on the forum im starting to think maybe using a light dry malt extract will give a better beer.

Forgive my questions as i usually brew coopers and just add there be2 or what ever additives they suggest.

My last ginger beer mix i brewed i used dextrose and it came out with a funny almost wine like after taste . Im not sure if thats something to do with the yeast used or the dextrose .

Ginger beer was a stones gb and had a packet of wine yeast im not sure why.

Don't know that beer, but when we get a one-tin kit on this side of the ocean, adding malt extract instead of sugar gives an infinitely better beer. Chucking a few extra hops in helps as well.

With one kg of sugar and 1.5 kg of LME, the beer's alcohol is 46-48% from flavourless adjunct. I doubt any commercial macrobrewer goes that high on sugar. I'd go with subbing 1.15 kg of DME, but if you're looking to replicate commercial Aussie bitters, you could go with 500g of dextrose and 600g DME. Also, Coopers sells "brew enhancers" that are mixtures of dextrose, DME and maltodextrin (for body).

Cheers fellas , yes have used brew enhancer 2 reguarly :) might make a mix up and see what happens

get some Pride of Ringwood hop pellets and make a hop tea and then you will really be doing it right for an Aussie Bitter

Searched all the UK and most of Europe for PoR and, while Australian hops like Galaxy and, to a less extent, Topaz, Enigma, and, Vic Secret can be found, PoR don't seem to make it over here. Ended having to order some from Beerco in Victoria. They've finally arrived and I'm looking forward to discovering what an Aussie bitter tastes like.

Searched all the UK and most of Europe for PoR and, while Australian hops like Galaxy and, to a less extent, Topaz, Enigma, and, Vic Secret can be found, PoR don't seem to make it over here. Ended having to order some from Beerco in Victoria. They've finally arrived and I'm looking forward to discovering what an Aussie bitter tastes like.

Australian macrobrew bitters such as Victoria (VB), Melbourne and Emu are standard adjunct lagers that clock in at around 20 IBUs, not very bitter. BJCP does not have a category for them. They've had some ups and downs on the market in recent years..

POR has its defenders and detractors on this forum. Regarding its bittering, I'll just opine that it isn't a hop to use if you want to go to very high IBUs. Coopers uses it in ales that run in the mid-20s. It does have a pleasant but not assertive aroma in late additions, best seen in the Coopers ales.

Besides Coopers, I'm not sure how many of the big brewers use it anymore, and how many have switched to Superpride, which is higher in alpha acids but lower proportionately in cohumulone.

So try it in a VB clone and maybe go for a little more bittering, but do not try it first in something like a double IPA.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back