MoreBeer system...should I?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I bloody nailed it. ~50L at 1.055 when I was expecting 42L at 1.055.

I sparged too fast and used all the sparging water I had in the HLT which put me over an extra 10L so. I was still running off at 1.025 as well... I boiled for an extra hour, got sick of sitting around and was approaching intended pre boil gravity so I threw in my bittering addition and carried on.

Mash efficiency was almost 80% which is good to know as I milled the whole 12kg of grain myself.

Will ramp up to a full 80L batch this weekend and see how I go.

Moad said:
Well I bloody nailed it. ~50L at 1.055 when I was expecting 42L at 1.055.

I sparged too fast and used all the sparging water I had in the HLT which put me over an extra 10L so. I was still running off at 1.025 as well... I boiled for an extra hour, got sick of sitting around and was approaching intended pre boil gravity so I threw in my bittering addition and carried on.

Mash efficiency was almost 80% which is good to know as I milled the whole 12kg of grain myself.

Will ramp up to a full 80L batch this weekend and see how I go.
Must be really satisfying to see all you have learned still applies on a new system, great work adjusting for the over sparge. Once you get properly dialed in you'll be hanging on the next brew day on what looks like a dead sexy rig.

MB

I got excited too early. Was meant to be 1.064.

Using boil off tools indicate the gravity would have been spot on for the right volume but I got impatient. Will slow the sparge right down and only put an extra litre or 2 in the HLT rather than 12.

Still pretty happy with everything and if that is the worst part of the upgrade then happy days.

note with a slower sparge that efficiency will rise slightly, nice numbers to be getting straight off the bat.

MB

btw MB, hit 80% brewhouse efficiency on my second batch with the right amount of sparging. Realised afterwards I had set the L/KG too high in beersmith for the first run. Still turned out fine though was under target OG

Back