MoreBeer system...should I?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moad

Reaction score
I'm happily brewing on a 20L BM however I'm struggling to keep up with demand.

A mate from work has offered me the single tier 80 Litre morebeer rig and conical, for $2500 as he doesn't use it anymore. It is a few years old and would need a clean up etc but wondering if people could offer an opinion. Plenty of extras etc so I think it is a good price but I don't know anything about them...

Also, the old style fermenter isn't temp controlled which doesn't excite me too much. What options do I have for retro fitting some temp control? I've emailed morebeer about this one too.

What sort of coin would I get for a 6 month old 20L BM with about 15-20 brews through it?

Cheers,

Moad.

Sounds like a great deal. Could you afford to have both? The BM would be great for small batches.

How big is the conical? Could you fit it in a fridge with temp control?

Oh... and pics or we won't believe you.

Thanks Camo, Conical is 27 Gallon version I believe.

It wouldn't fit in my current fermenting fridge so would probably look at upgrading to an upright freezer. I could get away with no fridge for another month or two until I found one.

Nah unfortunately I'd have to part with the BM to get this one across the line, Apparently you can do 40litre batches fine on it which I would be ok with.

What do 2nd hand BMs typically go for?

edit: pics this weekend!

20L BM's retail for $2500 yeah? I imagine you'd have no trouble getting around $2k for it depending on condition and accessories?

27 gallons? Wow. I wouldn't touch that. Instead, give me your friends number so I can tell him to stop harassing you with unwanted baubles. :ph34r:

I ferment in an upright freezer and it's the duck's guts. It'll comfortably fit two brewbuckets with room to spare. Can crash chill till frozen (and my airlocks often do). Best ferment chamber option IMO.

Yeah Its mint condition, cleaned after every use however no extra accessories. I'll wait until I get eyes on this setup before I put it up for sale but if there is no good reason not to do it... I'm in.

I will have to brew like crazy to fill my kegs for the transitional period of selling BM > first brew on the rig if I buy it!

Camo6 said:
20L BM's retail for $2500 yeah? I imagine you'd have no trouble getting around $2k for it depending on condition and accessories?

27 gallons? Wow. I wouldn't touch that. Instead, give me your friends number so I can tell him to stop harassing you with unwanted baubles. :ph34r:

I ferment in an upright freezer and it's the duck's guts. It'll comfortably fit two brewbuckets with room to spare. Can crash chill till frozen (and my airlocks often do). Best ferment chamber option IMO.

Slight hijack and OT.

They are really that good? I've got one that is going to be retired from food use in the next few months, don't spose you have rough power usage numbers? Wondering if it's worth sacrificing a bit of space and fermenting in jerrys for better cooling efficiency.

Donske not really sure of running costs as I don't really want to know! I imagine for most of the year it draws very little as I mainly ferement ales. When crash chilling it doesn't get opened very often if at all. If yours has removable shelves then definitely keep it for the brewery.

Sorry Moad for OT.

Pulled the trigger, been busy all weekend sanding and painting. spare march pump + counter flow chiller included in the sale.

Need to order some new plates for the controller box and get the burners sandblasted when budget allows, for now I am pretty happy with how it is looking.

2014-08-24121949.jpg

2014-08-23125227.jpg

2014-08-24191028.jpg

2014-08-24191015.jpg

2014-08-22175714.jpg

Is it just me or are those pics not working?

Not sure whats happening there Crofty...

Fired her up for a cleaning run last night, a couple of small leaks on some of the QD's but other than that everything is ready for the maiden run this weekend.

Last things left to tidy up is the control panel which is being taken care of as we speak!

Now for the regretful departure of the BM.

I wish I could Pratty but unfortunately I swindled the 3V on the proviso it is paid for by the sale of the BM!

Once that is through I have to somehow get a larger fermenting fridge across the line...

Moad said:
I wish I could Pratty but unfortunately I swindled the 3V on the proviso it is paid for by the sale of the BM!

Once that is through I have to somehow get a larger fermenting fridge across the line...
Moad, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than for approval. And another favourite, "one may as well be hanged for sheep as for a lamb". These two mottos have served me well.

Moad said:

Good choice with the brew rig upgrade.. unless you get the chance to upgrade to the 200 litre BM, for a few bucks more, in a few years time.

B+T thats how I got the BM in the first place, just came home after spending 2.5k. That was around the time of the wedding when we owed parents a bit of coin too... touchy subject now. I also need the space, struggling to get a car in the garage which is testing patience.

Anyway, she has been supportive so far... even helped me put 75KG of grain into buckets

Back on Topic, plates are on their way today... first brew day this weekend.

I've got CPC QD's and need some orgins. $2.50 from craftbrewer and 80c from morebeer but postage is ridiculous. Anyone seen these locally and a decent price?

Guess not...

First brew on the 3v tomorrow, first use of a cf chiller and hop back. First use of the conical.

So much to go wrong...wish me luck!

Back