Morebeer Sculptures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUB

Reaction score
Anyone own one or know of someone who has purchased a Morebeer sculpture? Any ideas on shipping costs? Also wondering if there was any difficulty with getting it hooked up and running in Australia or was all that sorted at the other end first?

Thanks for any help!

(will be emailing Morebeer too, but looking for a locals perspective as well)

Pretty sure Merc bought one waaaaaaaaay back, about 2005 I think.

Screwy

They don't ship outside the US, but will drop ship.
They're pretty good on getting back to you on email, unlike some local retailers.
For the money, I decided we'd look at the Sabco though.

They don't ship outside the US, but will drop ship.
They're pretty good on getting back to you on email, unlike some local retailers.
For the money, I decided we'd look at the Sabco though.

Sabco looks great too, but the volume is a bit small. Need to have 50L of finsihed beer after all is said and done. Did you end up getting one?

We're ordering shortly, but I want to have another shot at getting Ross to sell me his first.

Sabco looks great too, but the volume is a bit small. Need to have 50L of finsihed beer after all is said and done. Did you end up getting one?

Sabco vessels are 15.5 us gals or 58.6 litre absolute volumetric capacity. The first bottleneck on capacity is the boiler because they use the same basic vessel for their HLT, Mash Tun, Boiler and even fermenter. You can comfortably churn out 12 US Gallons per batch (45 litres) of finished beer but I reckon if you really wanted to you could stretch to 50l or more going into your fermenter by targetting a higher post boil OG then adding water to target OG. Not ideal of course, but possible.

I also looked at Morebeer sculptures, but they dont do 240v so you will need step-up transformers for pumps and electronics for which you may have timing issues. Sabco do 240V versions of electronics and pumps.

One further question, why a Sabco or Morebeer and not a Beerbelly 100 litre system for 8 grand ? B)

One further question, why a Sabco or Morebeer and not a Beerbelly 100 litre system for 8 grand ? B)

It's not out of the question, its just that shipping and conversion aren't an issue like they are with the US setups so no need to ask!

It's not out of the question, its just that shipping and conversion aren't an issue like they are with the US setups so no need to ask!

May I enquire as to why you are interested in these particular systems?

Are you after a turnkey brewing system (so you don't have to build it yourself)?
Are you after a ready to go system to produce larger quanties of beer?
Are you wanting to brew for a brew pub?
What volume of beer are you wanting to produce?
Do you specifically want a three vessell system? (a possible reason might be so that you can mash in another brew whilst the previous is beginning it's boil).

Is it just the convience of buying something ready to make beer or are there a particular set of reasons?

thats a fair point, as I am not in oz, shipping was an issue and so I did have to ask. For you the exchange rate is also a consideration and right now your oz dollar goes alot further than it did a few years back. Thats why the Sabco blew the Beerbelly right out of the water for me. If cost is not a consideration and you are deciding between a Beerbelly and a Sabco you have other considerations such as lead time, capacity, and the fact that Beerbelly is HERMS while Sabco is RIMS, each has their own set of pro's and cons.

happy research ;)

I bought a 2050 about a year and a half ago, before Grain and Grape sold something similar at a comparable price.

I got it shipped by Acoss the Ocean Shipping who have an office in Richmond, VIC www.atoshipping.com

In the end it cracked the $5000 for purchase and shipping and if I were to look at the purchase today, I'd probably just go with this http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7001 since I live nearby and I'd have the option of customisation and/or repairs the future. Plus the extra 25L capacity I'll probably rarely use.

There was no real problems with fitting convertions. The bloke at the gas shop was able help me get the imperial to metric conversions to the gas line and there is the possibility of getting a 240V pump. I requested one, but when it arrived it was still 110V. Rather thn go back and forwards across the pacific I just bought a step-up transformer on evilbay and have been happy ever since.

May I enquire as to why you are interested in these particular systems?

Are you after a turnkey brewing system (so you don't have to build it yourself)?
Are you after a ready to go system to produce larger quanties of beer?
Are you wanting to brew for a brew pub?
What volume of beer are you wanting to produce?
Do you specifically want a three vessell system? (a possible reason might be so that you can mash in another brew whilst the previous is beginning it's boil).

Is it just the convience of buying something ready to make beer or are there a particular set of reasons?

Generally speaking (and without giving too much away because...well, we are still in research mode), we are looking at a pilot setup. Have a small budget, but enough to get a decent automated HERMS system (already own the majority of the other equipment). Already using a beat up old direct heat/3 tier system that is great for brewing and has been fantastic for years (still is) but lacks repeatabilty and reliability. Not to mention the constant monitoring and the like - a lot of work for 30L of beer. Double brew days are full on, triple brew day only happened once...never again (or perhaps we shouldn't of done a decoction for the first time that day!) Have thought about building myself, but I am not a welder, plumber or electrician so willing to spend the extra $ and get a pro to do it and just get it done. Time IS money in this case. Looking at being able to fill a 50L keg per batch, more for kegerator considerations than anything else. have looked at upgrading the old gravity system but once we added up all the equipment and work we might as well commit and go the whole way.

3 vessel for sure, for the reason you list above and also because that is what I am used to and like. Am looking here and abroad, have time so checking out all the options. So in all, not for commerical use but piloting.

So, can I ask you why the interest?

So, can I ask you why the interest?
Certainly can! I am not trying to snoop into your venture/potential venture; what ever it is, good luck to you. My questions are because I am a Braumeister advocate through and through but it doesn't suit every application, so I thought I'd ask what your intended purpose is before I pushed the braumeister. :D
Sounds to me like you would like a ready made and semi automated 50L brewing system. Forget $8,000 try a 50L Braumeister at $3,500. I have one of these and the simplicity and engineering elegance is unrivaled. Repeatability and reliability 100%. Being a single vessell system you can't mash in the 2nd batch whilst batch 1 is on the boil but you most certainly can do a full 50L batch in one go, with ease. You can clean the malt pipe etc whilst the boil is on the go so you can save a little time for a following brew. If you saved your plate chiller or immersion cooler etc water you could use this as the strike water for batch two and save a little water heating time.
I am led to believe that in your region, Grain and Grape sell, display and demo Braumeisters. Get on down and check one out. Buy from them or Marks Home Brew in Sydney - he is a great bloke and has excellent after sales service. :super:

I am also led to believe there are quite a number of pilot systems that are braumeisters. Don't discount them before you check one out. Like I said, repeatability and reliability 100%.

That's funny, because I shot one of those guys a pm about a 50l and possibly a 200l and never got a reply.

Certainly can! I am not trying to snoop into your venture/potential venture; what ever it is, good luck to you. My questions are because I am a Braumeister advocate through and through but it doesn't suit every application, so I thought I'd ask what your intended purpose is before I pushed the braumeister. :D
Sounds to me like you would like a ready made and semi automated 50L brewing system. Forget $8,000 try a 50L Braumeister at $3,500. I have one of these and the simplicity and engineering elegance is unrivaled. Repeatability and reliability 100%. Being a single vessell system you can't mash in the 2nd batch whilst batch 1 is on the boil but you most certainly can do a full 50L batch in one go, with ease. You can clean the malt pipe etc whilst the boil is on the go so you can save a little time for a following brew. If you saved your plate chiller or immersion cooler etc water you could use this as the strike water for batch two and save a little water heating time.
I am led to believe that in your region, Grain and Grape sell, display and demo Braumeisters. Get on down and check one out. Buy from them or Marks Home Brew in Sydney - he is a great bloke and has excellent after sales service. :super:

I am also led to believe there are quite a number of pilot systems that are braumeisters. Don't discount them before you check one out. Like I said, repeatability and reliability 100%.

IMHO this does not work for continous batch manufacture, thats why 3v is the way to go if you need volume. Of course , he could just buy 2 units for less than a Beerbelly right ? :lol:

Dont get me wrong I think the Braumeister is an awesome piece of kit, but if you were considering a pilot setup then other considerations might be the fact he'd probably need two people or a pulley system for lifting out the grain on 50l system, it doesn't have a gas option if cost per kwh where he is is exhorbitant, he'd need a separate hot water source for sparging and it doesn't have the grain capacity for big ie high OG beers if thats what he might want to create one day. While probably not a consideration for a pilot plant, he'd also need a decent high amp outlet to run it...

That's funny, because I shot one of those guys a pm about a 50l and possibly a 200l and never got a reply.
Not having a go in any way. Just stating what I know.
I must admit that PM is not the most reliable contact method and I know Mark admits this too, I don't know about G&G. Mark is not on this forum to drum up business, he offers advice and will generally answer things if asked, he doesn't pedal his products on this forum. He is on this forum because like us, he too is a keen homebrewer. PM is generally for personal stuff and telephone is for business. If you were keen you'd probably try the telephone. I have to admit he is not spectacular at returning calls but is spectacular if you call him.

IMHO this does not work for continous batch manufacture, thats why 3v is the way to go if you need volume. Of course , he could just buy 2 units for less than a Beerbelly right ? :lol:

Dont get me wrong I think the Braumeister is an awesome piece of kit, but if you were considering a pilot setup then other considerations might be the fact he'd probably need two people or a pulley system for lifting out the grain on 50l system, it doesn't have a gas option if cost per kwh where he is is exhorbitant, he'd need a separate hot water source for sparging and it doesn't have the grain capacity for big ie high OG beers if thats what he might want to create one day. While probably not a consideration for a pilot plant, he'd also need a decent high amp outlet to run it...

I agree with what you have said but I'll add some caveats.
What you have pointed out aren't big issues but I agree they are considerations.

It seemed to me he was interested in continious batching to be able to get to 50L with his current (I assume 25L) system. He wouldn't need to do this if he cranks out 50L in a sitting. Yeah yeah, two 50L units would be good. :super:
A full malt pipe in a 50L really isn't that heavy, it is just breaking the intial suction that requires some effort sometimes. Since GUB seems to be talking in the plural I think he has two people covered. Pulley system is not hard to rig up.
GPO's hardly ever run out of gas.
Yes he would need a hot water source for sparging.
They do have the capicity for making high gravity beers, of a lower volume output than 50L. However you can do reiterative mashing for high gravity in 50L output. Or you could add malt extract :icon_vomit: or sugarz.
Decent high amp output would actually be 15 amp, it's no big deal to get a sparky in to do that.

If it was used as a pilot plant in a commercial setting, a BM would certainly take up less of the commercial space.
Gee sounds like I am a little defensive, I don't mean to be.

My advice in the context of what GUB has said, remains as at least have a look at a Braumeister.

Goose/Malted (easier to reply to all at once)

I did check out the BM at one of the G&G brewday sessions. It is a great piece of equipment but not right for us (yes more than one involved). Reasons have pretty much been listed by Goose, but I'll expand a little:

The double batch is important as brewdays come along once every two weeks so we always do multiple batches - it is a must.
The output volume was annoying, 50L max for a standard gravity but not for higher gravities. For a pilot program this isn't adequate - deveolping something to have to change later doesn't seem right.
The setup of a glorified BIAB is fine but it doesn't mimic a commerical brewery. Years of brewing on a 3V and an eye on a commercial version (this is waaaay away, but just pointing out) means BIAB isn't the best route. Not to mention learning and discovering techniques/problems with 3V areas that wouldn't be an issue on the BM (sparging techniques for one, using pumps, cleaning and the like - might sound silly but I think it is important).
Electricity is a pain, much prefer gas for the grunt work. Its a location thing.

Having said that the BM did impress me, it's a great idea, and I have nothing against the unit it just doesn't suit the situation.

Goose/Malted (easier to reply to all at once)

I did check out the BM at one of the G&G brewday sessions. It is a great piece of equipment but not right for us (yes more than one involved). Reasons have pretty much been listed by Goose, but I'll expand a little:

The double batch is important as brewdays come along once every two weeks so we always do multiple batches - it is a must.
The output volume was annoying, 50L max for a standard gravity but not for higher gravities. For a pilot program this isn't adequate - deveolping something to have to change later doesn't seem right.
The setup of a glorified BIAB is fine but it doesn't mimic a commerical brewery. Years of brewing on a 3V and an eye on a commercial version (this is waaaay away, but just pointing out) means BIAB isn't the best route. Not to mention learning and discovering techniques/problems with 3V areas that wouldn't be an issue on the BM (sparging techniques for one, using pumps, cleaning and the like - might sound silly but I think it is important).
Electricity is a pain, much prefer gas for the grunt work. Its a location thing.

Having said that the BM did impress me, it's a great idea, and I have nothing against the unit it just doesn't suit the situation.

And that's exactly what I thought.

I did check out the BM at one of the G&G brewday sessions. It is a great piece of equipment but not right for us ...
...it just doesn't suit the situation.

Fair enough mate. I have learnt from this exchange with you and Goose. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back