More Ebay Stock Pots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just stumbled upon some more cheap stockpots on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STOCK-POTS-STAI...#ht_1787wt_1344

70L for $119, 100L for $199

Thinking of taking the plunge on a 100lt to use as a kettle...

Good luck if you do. Numerous people have been burnt by poor quality pots, and then had all kinds of trouble getting their money back.

Have you considered spending a bit more on a pot from one of the site sponsors? At least you will know it is decent quality, and if there are any troubles with it you won't have any trouble exchanging for a new one.

Good luck if you do. Numerous people have been burnt by poor quality pots, and then had all kinds of trouble getting their money back.

Have you considered spending a bit more on a pot from one of the site sponsors? At least you will know it is decent quality, and if there are any troubles with it you won't have any trouble exchanging for a new one.

To be honest, i'd be happy to pay a bit more for something of a higher quality, but in the 100L scale there doesn't seem to be much in the mid-range of the price scale... either the ~$400 Robinox, or these eBay cheapies.

Also, some of the pots that the australian homebrew suppliers sell appear to be identical to the standard 'Handy Imports' model that is going around, but obviously with a much bigger markup. For $200 dollars difference I'm willing to take a risk.

If anyone has any leads on a mid-priced ~100L SS stockpot then I'm all ears!

Have a look at the pots here, they look like the same pot. Then have a search on here about Handy Imports pots. I would not get one.

QldKev

Have you tried the various hospitality/catering stores? this is an aluminium one at the place near me: http://www.hospitalitysuperstore.com.au/pr...049&cID=115 their stainless is up in the $300 range though. Others might have cheaper.

Another thing to remember is that these will be the retail prices, you can often get a discount just by asking. If you know someone in the trade (or at some places anyone with an ABN will do) then you can start to knock off some serious $.

I've grabbed bulk boxes of glasses and a really good mash paddle from the place linked above as well as lots of other stuff for the kitchen from this one and others.

They also sell this - http://www.hospitalitysuperstore.com.au/pr...582&cID=210 :)

Ed

G'day,

I bought a 71L Handy Imports Pot. I have only used it a few times but I haven't had any problems with it. I can do BIAB double batches in it if I use 60L of strike water and then batch sparge, bucket in a bucket style, to get another 10L or so. I read all the posts about how badly constructed they were but the one I got seems ok. I had no probs drilling it to put a SS tap in it. If your doing BIAB get at least an 80L so you don't have to sparge.

Here is a pic:

20120804_105014.jpg

the sellers name is Handy store.........very interesting!!!

I thought the same thing, mate. If they are like the 'HandyImports' pots, which they appear to be, then the results have been hit and miss. Mine was a miss.

You want a SS pot like this to last you a lifetime, not a short time.

Thanks for the heads up, always some good stuff to be had on eBay. And most pots, regardless of the retailer, are sourced from China anyway so it's really only about price/markup.

You say that now but i got burnt by those pricks at handy imports.....Never again will I buy cheap shit to cut corners or save some clams.

Check this and you will change your mind http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ic=64583&hl=

Hey jyo,

What was wrong with your pot mate?

Just covered in rust after washing it in only water. The lid, the outsides, the insides have black rust lines ingrained into the steel. Small pinholes forming in the steel.

But others have had no worries at all.

Thanks for the info jyo. I will keep a look out for rust on the pot.

Cheers,

So what happened in the end?

He has got cheaper since I bought mine so he only gave me a refund on one pot as I'd only used one when I found the problem. And only refunded the cheaper price without postage. Argued the point but I was going no where with him so I gave up. Bunch of thieving *****! Pardon my language but they are dodgy bastards.

got my 70 litre pot from handy store for $80 and after several brews it is still looking like new. guess i just got lucky this time. either that or the rust just hasnt had time to set in yet.

Just covered in rust after washing it in only water. The lid, the outsides, the insides have black rust lines ingrained into the steel. Small pinholes forming in the steel.

But others have had no worries at all.

Same as mine.Check my posted link in this thread.

He has got cheaper since I bought mine so he only gave me a refund on one pot as I'd only used one when I found the problem. And only refunded the cheaper price without postage. Argued the point but I was going no where with him so I gave up. Bunch of thieving *****! Pardon my language but they are dodgy bastards.
... and I think you're ignoring the recent appeals to moderate language.

Back