More Ebay Stock Pots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has got cheaper since I bought mine so he only gave me a refund on one pot as I'd only used one when I found the problem. And only refunded the cheaper price without postage. Argued the point but I was going no where with him so I gave up. Bunch of thieving *****! Pardon my language but they are dodgy bastards.
Interestingly, if I keep quoting this guy I can continue to post immoderate language ... without actually doing it myself. Surely this is a logical flaw?

Mate, as my fitter mate says, it's stain"less" not "no"rust. You need to clean and store correctly.

I call rust and black stains in SS serious flaws in manufacturing, not cleaning and storage issues, mate.

I still use mine and will continue to do so until I can upgrade, but I am fairly confident that any of the site sponsors or local suppliers would be pretty keen to replace their stainless products if any of the above issues occurred.

I specifically told the handyimports supplier that I would be brewing beer in it and had the good old wink and no worries response.

When I had a complaint, he threw it back in my face that the pots would not be suitable for making beer! I was fuming!

Cheers.

Mate, as my fitter mate says, it's stain"less" not "no"rust. You need to clean and store correctly.

I'm a fitter, and I know that too. But this is clear defined ingrained rusting after no more that 15mins of boiling.Click on the link and have a look.

... and I think you're ignoring the recent appeals to moderate language.

yes you are correct. I did however attempt to excuse myself. (but they are bumfaces)

I call rust and black stains in SS serious flaws in manufacturing, not cleaning and storage issues, mate.

I still use mine and will continue to do so until I can upgrade, but I am fairly confident that any of the site sponsors or local suppliers would be pretty keen to replace their stainless products if any of the above issues occurred.

I specifically told the handyimports supplier that I would be brewing beer in it and had the good old wink and no worries response.

When I had a complaint, he threw it back in my face that the pots would not be suitable for making beer! I was fuming!

Cheers.

It's cooking! :angry: Does not matter what the ingredients are.These pots were sold as food grade 18/10 stainless. I don't know about him but I never cook with rust (unless it's on my BBQ :huh: )

got my 70 litre pot from handy store for $80 and after several brews it is still looking like new. guess i just got lucky this time. either that or the rust just hasnt had time to set in yet.

If you've avoided it so far then you should be in the clear.

Stainless steel resists rusting because of the passive chromium oxide that forms on it's surface. Normally when scratched this layer reforms quickly in the presence of oxygen (passivation), but if it is scratched with dissimilar metals (i.e: mild steel, or even tools that have been used on mild steel - angle grinders etc) the small deposits of non-stainless materia left on the surface prevent this oxide from re-forming.

In practice you can avoid rust on your stainless by only using stainless or non-metallic implements (i.e: mash paddles). If you do see any signs of rust, use a green kitchen scrubber to bring the surface back to raw material, rinse and let dry naturally.

As for the eBay pots... I've had the seller send me high res photos which have reassured me of the quality somewhat. I will probably go for a 100lt pot and report back.

If you've avoided it so far then you should be in the clear.

Stainless steel resists rusting because of the passive chromium oxide that forms on it's surface. Normally when scratched this layer reforms quickly in the presence of oxygen (passivation), but if it is scratched with dissimilar metals (i.e: mild steel, or even tools that have been used on mild steel - angle grinders etc) the small deposits of non-stainless materia left on the surface prevent this oxide from re-forming.

In practice you can avoid rust on your stainless by only using stainless or non-metallic implements (i.e: mash paddles). If you do see any signs of rust, use a green kitchen scrubber to bring the surface back to raw material, rinse and let dry naturally.

As for the eBay pots... I've had the seller send me high res photos which have reassured me of the quality somewhat. I will probably go for a 100lt pot and report back.

The seller reassured you they would good, who would have thought?!

If you are going to choose to ignore that many have failed and get one anyone, why did you create this thread to start with?

The seller reassured you they would good, who would have thought?!

If you are going to choose to ignore that many have failed and get one anyone, why did you create this thread to start with?

You might have misunderstood, Kev. I said that photos sent to me have reassured me of the quality, not the seller directly.

I created the thread to see if anyone had experiences with this seller or this product specifically that they were willing to share - obviously some people have strong feelings about the matter and I'm not trying to spark another debate.

I'm aware of the issues that others have had with cheap pots and am taking a calculated risk, taking into consideration the price, visual inspection of the actual item for sale (i.e: not just stock photos) and my own abilities to deal with potential issues if they should arrive.

Cheers,
Gabe

You might have misunderstood, Kev. I said that photos sent to me have reassured me of the quality, not the seller directly.

I created the thread to see if anyone had experiences with this seller or this product specifically that they were willing to share - obviously some people have strong feelings about the matter and I'm not trying to spark another debate.

I'm aware of the issues that others have had with cheap pots and am taking a calculated risk, taking into consideration the price, visual inspection of the actual item for sale (i.e: not just stock photos) and my own abilities to deal with potential issues if they should arrive.

Cheers,
Gabe

Hope that it all works out for you, and we have found a new supplier for s/s pots.

Please update this thread on you have got a couple of brews down using it.

QldKev

Hope that it all works out for you, and we have found a new supplier for s/s pots.

Please update this thread on you have got a couple of brews down using it.

QldKev

Cheers Kev, and shall do.

Sometimes risks must be taken for the greater good of all brewkind. :beerbang:

By the time you pay for postage it is cheaper to go to Craftbrewer and get his 70L pot and it already has the hole in it for the drain!

By the time you pay for postage it is cheaper to go to Craftbrewer and get his 70L pot and it already has the hole in it for the drain!

For a 70L pot, possibly. Not for a 100L though. Being pre-drilled is a bonus for some but isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Another old ex-fitter saying there's stainless & then there's stainless. ;)
When it comes down to the crunch 604 (depending on origin) should hopefully satisfy your needs? Good luck!
316 is the best but again it depends where it comes from.
If made to Australian specifications here or overseas then you should hopefully be OK?
Paid more than I wanted for my 70 litre Robineau (From a local catering place) yonks ago but have never regretted it ever.
Do your research before parting with your hard earned $$$$'s.

Cheers Kev, and shall do.

Sometimes risks must be taken for the greater good of all brewkind. :beerbang:

Brave man ........ I was told the same thing when I warned of the risks of buying Chinese hops !

There is the old saying .....

.... it is good to learn from your mistakes, but even better to learn from the mistakes of others !

Good luck

It's a little way off arriving, but our next container of 70L pots is being loaded shortly & we are including 100L ones as well.

cheers Ross

It's a little way off arriving, but our next container of 70L pots is being loaded shortly & we are including 100L ones as well.

cheers Ross

ross
How much will the 100L be?

under $250, but hoping to bring in at under $200.

Cheers Ross

I AM EXCITEMENT!

I'll have to start saving some clams until you get them then. What's the postmaster generals cut to send it to Melbourne Ross?

Any news on the 100L pots Ross? I'm keen though I haven't seen anything other than the 70L one on your website.

Cheers,

Brad

Pretty mixed feedback for that sellers pots, anyone end up buying one? Anyone tried any of the current stockpot offerings on ebay? My budget is around $150, could stretch to 200. Was going to get one from craftbrewer but they are out of stock.

Specifically :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/350628173019?ss...#ht_1902wt_1279

this has one guy with positive feedback saying he is going to use it for brewing.

and

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120992307584?ss...49#ht_500wt_922

Or should i just be patient and wait for CB to get stock?

Also considering a keggle, but legit sources seem to sell the 50l kegs for $100 + postage, so not sure if it is worth it.

Latest posts

Back