More Coopers Vs Lion Nathan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tangent said:
http://www.independentweekly.com.au/indail...ly_20051011.htm

also check out the Coopers offer!
I got a carton of Pale with my subscription! Awesome! Their pretty receptionist just walked out with a cartoon and said "here you go."
One of the memorable moments of my life. That's going straight to the pool room.
[post="82117"][/post]​
Hmmmm one has to question how "Independent" they are when making an offer like that.

More independant than Rupert.
I don't care if they make the damn stuff, I'm stoked.

good god, why the hell have you signed up to the independent weekly?? It has the news quality of the advertiser and the journalism of a current affair!!

aargh!!

i think you might be mistaking the sunday mail

what would you recommend P&K?
(and it better come with a free slab of Coopers Pale)

peas_and_korn said:
No, I'm talking about the Independent Weekly. I've read it once. Scary stuff.
[post="82433"][/post]​

Speaking of informative press, whatever happened to the Melbourne Truth?? :blink:

(The heart balm column was the ruining of many an adolescent in the 70's) :p

mandraker, the heart balm column! oh yaeh it bloody near ruined me.jeez hav,nt heard of that in years.aahhh the good old days :beerbang:

ok, here is my list of good sources of news-

The Australian- Balanced, good read

SMH- Well written, but with a Sydney bias

Age- a little conservative, but all right

New York Times- read this free on the net, there are some great op-eds that I love; but its best aspect is the news

Washington Post- same as above; but their op-eds are better

BBC- Great news bulletin.

TV news- ignore commercial news, it's shite

ABC news- fantastic, well written, and despite what the Liberal party says, it gives both sides

SBS world news- the news I watch most; that's because it doesn't spend all its time talking about who Paris Hilton is sleeping with or Thorpie's latest haircut.

7.30 report- beats the crap out of anything ACA or Today Tonight could ever put up. Remember what investigative journalism is, ACA?

Insight- Same as above

The Cutting Edge- Best up-to-the-minute show investigating in depth issues that affect the world today

Well, I think that's everything!

Off topic but Media Watch on the ABC is recommended viewing.

A bit like assembly instructions for flat pack furniture - sure you can give it a go without reading them, but don't whinge when the bookshelf ends up turning into a coffee table with 4 different length legs :ph34r:

SWMBO honestly used to think it was a comedy show and was always waiting for the audience laughter. She certainyl has a different view of the 'popular' media now.

this certainly way off topic, but the smh, nyt and washington post aren't printing much adelaide content atm.

Yeh they all have a weekly Adelaide Alive liftout, with a free slab of pale coupon

if only sinkas :)
i want a slab of pale with everything!

shmick said:
Off topic but Media Watch on the ABC is recommended viewing.

[post="84367"][/post]​

I'll vouch for that show aswell, I can't stand comericial news but its fun to swear at them when they choose to swing a biased point of view or just treat us all like we're ignorant fools and twist the story whichever way that blows their skirts up. Or just simply get the story all arse about.

On the subject of coopers one station said glenn was head brewer at coopers, they can't even get there facts right to begin with and makes you wonder how much truth is in what else they have to say about the matter.

I think if you are a avid commericial current affair program watcher then media watch is pretty much a must see show.
Ben elton sumed up the last bit of comerical news once in his book 'stark' something about 'that little bit they put on the end of the news about the bear who can't get a hard on'... well thats about as good as commerical news gets to my mind.

what is and what should never be.
Jayse

tangent said:
this certainly way off topic, but the smh, nyt and washington post aren't printing much adelaide content atm.
[post="84372"][/post]​

Well, when the most interesting news about Adelaide recently has been 'who has been throwing the shoes over the power lines??' :rolleyes: it really isn't that important.

I like the world news on SBS, as it talks about what's happening everywhere. If you want to watch it once just to see what good quality journalism (and SBS and ABC win virtually all the journalism awards in the country) is, watch that- I'm contnually being amazed about the depth they are getting. I want it to be an hour so they can fit everything they need in!

peas_and_korn said:

<snipped>

[post="84310"][/post]​
I would say that your news source depends on where the news is. If you want to read about world news, to limit yourself to western media is going to be extremely biased.

If you really want to know what is going on about a particular topic (and who has the time?) you need to dig out your own sources. The internet is your friend. There are sites that do nothing but collect articles from difference sources on topics. These sites can sometimes be a little wacko but you can skip over their commentary.

Many foreign news papers have english language versions.

And I would say, in the absence of any other information, "follow the money" to find the real truth. From that philosophy, beer is only a side show in the Coopers saga.

peas_and_korn said:

The Australian- Balanced, good read

SMH- Well written, but with a Sydney bias

Age- a little conservative, but all right

New York Times- read this free on the net, there are some great op-eds that I love; but its best aspect is the news

Washington Post- same as above; but their op-eds are better

BBC- Great news bulletin.

TV news- ignore commercial news, it's shite

ABC news- fantastic, well written, and despite what the Liberal party says, it gives both sides

SBS world news- the news I watch most; that's because it doesn't spend all its time talking about who Paris Hilton is sleeping with or Thorpie's latest haircut.

7.30 report- beats the crap out of anything ACA or Today Tonight could ever put up. Remember what investigative journalism is, ACA?

Insight- Same as above

The Cutting Edge- Best up-to-the-minute show investigating in depth issues that affect the world today

[post="84310"][/post]​

Where's the "Truth" ?????

And nothing from Fleet Street ?????

Surely Not?

when it comes to not checking the facts or researching the story correctly,a perfect example is relating to the recent shark attack at fisheries bay. west of port lincoln.now fisheries bay is roughly 35 k from port lincoln,and in the opposite direction from any fish farms,but that f,wit kochie on the sunrise program claimed ,well that serves him right for surfing near a fish farm. the farms and surf beaches are a good 40 nautical apart at the very least! rant over. cheers spog :angry:

Back