More Beer Styles To Emerge, Says Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backlane Brewery

Reaction score
Spotted in today's Age online. Anybody know this guy?

More beer styles to emerge, says brewer December 15, 2004 - 1:24PM

More beer styles and labels will emerge in coming years as Australian drinkers continue to diversify, promises a prominent brewer. John Hood, the new brewing manager at South Australia's Coopers Brewery, said younger drinkers today were more willing to experiment than their parents.

"There has been a big change in the consumer environment in recent years," said Mr Hood, formerly technical development manager at Boags Brewery in Tasmania.

"Younger people are moving from the front bars of pubs and into up-market cafes and wine bars where premium beers are more popular. At the same time, they're looking for something fresh and are pushing demand for well crafted beers that are different to the large scale commodity products available widely.

"While premium beers comprise a relatively small percentage of the overall market, this is the only area of beer sales that is growing. "This has opened opportunities for the smaller, more flexible brewers and has seen a rise in the number of boutique brewers around Australia."

Mr Hood said beer markets were changing throughout the world.

"The biggest selling beer in Ireland at the moment is Budweiser," he said. "Ireland has one of the youngest population profiles in Europe and this generation has adopted a lighter style of beer to the traditional Guinness.

"Brewers today need to be able to identify these trends and be prepared to meet demand."

budweiser - the next big thing!
i can see the whole IIPA/imperial stout thing giving way to an craze for crappy adjunct lagers...hang on isn't that what a CAP is?

neonmeate said:
budweiser - the next big thing!
i can see the whole IIPA/imperial stout thing giving way to an craze for crappy adjunct lagers...hang on isn't that what a CAP is?
Yep, except a proper CAP isn't crappy.

Gee, I hope they mean the Czech Budweiser (or Budvar).

I couldn't stand to see ##### beer everywhere when I finally get to Europe to taste some authentiK!!!

Is $hite not an acceptable term here?

Weizguy said:
I think it's ok? Personally I find 'Budweiser' more offensive than 'shite' anyway... :p

I was in Ireland a few years ago and even though I wasnt into beer like I am now, I was shocked to see bud was the number one beer on tap. Cant remember what else they drank there because I only drank bud. What can I say, I was 16 and the best beer Id drank at that age was VB!

Weizguy said:
Gee, I hope they mean the Czech Budweiser (or Budvar).

I couldn't stand to see ##### beer everywhere when I finally get to Europe to taste some authentiK!!!

Dont get your hopes up, Budweiser Budvar was a little dissapointing for me. I'd had it hyped up as the "god of pils" etc, but to me it was a bit bland.

Personally I find Pilsner Urquell a much nicer beer. Softer, hoppier and more malt flavour too.

Dont get me wrong, Budvar is a nice bohemian pils, just not as pleasant as Urquell in my personal opinion.

Backlane Brewery said:
"The biggest selling beer in Ireland at the moment is Budweiser," he said. "Ireland has one of the youngest population profiles in Europe and this generation has adopted a lighter style of beer to the traditional Guinness.
So by that logic Aussie drinkers should be switching from bland flavourless lagers
to bigger beers like Stout and Porter?

So by that logic Aussie drinkers should be switching from bland flavourless lagers
to bigger beers like Stout and Porter?

You'd hope so, really. In my time overseas (1990-2001) I was amazed at how few people, especially English, were interested in the traditional beers. Everywhere I went they wanted Bud or similar bland international lagers- Stella, Lowenbrau, XXXX, San Miguel, Heineken, etc.
One thing I thought was interesting was the way CUB's Empire- some shitey new beer product developed thru market research & aimed at young clubbers- flopped so completely recently. An encouraging sign.
Mind you a few months ago at a bar off Flinders Lane some gelhaired twat tried to sting me $6.50 for a Coopers that he had made a point of shaking, then couldn't understand why I had issues with the prices and service method. If young Australians are going to get into tastier/different/better beers they need more advice and information.

Bud will have an audience in Ireland as the younger population have grown up with a diet of sugary sweet drinks.
As for new styles, the Ceylonese Pale Ale from Paddy's is so new that it won't get in the kettle until tomorrow. As a tribute to the great influence on Australian society by the people of Ceylon/SriLanka we have come up with a truely unique ale. Also Geoff the licencee of the pub is of Sri Lankan origin, so instead of hasseling him about dodgy Murali the chucker, we have dedicated a beer to his homeland. Our next venture will be a light beer named Paddy's Unleaded.
Cheers
Gerard

I just employed a recently arrived Scottish guy and thought "beauty ..another felow employee to impress with my brewing"
So I asked him what Scottish beers he'd tried or could recommend, he said he didn't know because Stella was his favourite.....sheesh

Latest posts

Back