Moonshiners, Popcorn Sutton

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Excellent series on Foxtel ATM, "Moonshiners" on Mondays at 9.30

I could sit and watch the for hours, the Narcs finally caught him and he committed suicide rather than face a long jail term.

BIAB pales into insignificance compared to this shit. Monday's episode having the guys in the Appalachian mountains converting tonnes of bananas into banana brandy - forty grands worth. Addictive show.

vale Pocorn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the series some time ago (downloaded it) later on the 'guys' will start doing double batches, so things just keep getting bigger.
It's an interesting series, just annoyed me that they tried to follow the current fad of 'real life drama' TV shows and make it more dramatic and over-board than it needed to be.

(ps: The Feds are nowhere near catching them and don't actually catch anyone interesting and the shiners keep on keeping on).

Yeah, a great show. It`s interesting that a lot of the past NASCAR and Daytona 500 top drivers got their experience from running `shine or driving block for the runner.
Good ol` Southern boys driving hotted up 4 barrel v8`s with strait thru pipes and 40 gallons in the back.
If you ever get the chance to see the old movie "Thunder Road" with Robert Mitchum, it says it all.

I love how "Tickle" is constantly shitfaced! Makes me laugh :D

Great to see another mountain man doing what comes naturally!

I don't get it.
Lets say they made a program in Sydney's south west called 'Meth Chefs' and had a camera crew following the cook and his sidekick around as he tried to procure pseudoephedrine, ether and such.
Then they had another camera crew following the coppers who were trying to hunt them down.
Don't you think that the inspector in charge would pull the films producer aside at some point and say 'lets have my people talk to your people'?

I enjoy the show, but the whole thing's got a staged feel about it. Plus they give the impression that you just dump a whole bunch of corn or bananas in the tank, boil it up and there you go. The least they could do is explain the mash schedule..

Have they somehow circumvented any legal obligation by filming the moonshiner's and the feds six months apart and spliced the footage to make it look like they're closing in on Tickle and Tim?
Have I missed some disclaimer that flashes across the screen for a nanosecond?
Am I starting to sound like the fun police?

I don't get it.
Lets say they made a program in Sydney's south west called 'Meth Chefs' and had a camera crew following the cook and his sidekick around as he tried to procure pseudoephedrine, ether and such.
Then they had another camera crew following the coppers who were trying to hunt them down.
Don't you think that the inspector in charge would pull the films producer aside at some point and say 'lets have my people talk to your people'?

I enjoy the show, but the whole thing's got a staged feel about it. Plus they give the impression that you just dump a whole bunch of corn or bananas in the tank, boil it up and there you go. The least they could do is explain the mash schedule..

Have they somehow circumvented any legal obligation by filming the moonshiner's and the feds six months apart and spliced the footage to make it look like they're closing in on Tickle and Tim?

I think you`re right about the staging, I never missed an episode of "Storage Wars" on A&E till I found out they plant stuff in the lockers to be "found".
Haven`t bothered with it since.

I don't get it.

I remember seeing a doco in the US about meth labs and illegal weed farmers where they did the same thing...I'm pretty sure they either signed agreements that if they were filmed then locations of certain things (eg stills, crops ect) were not disclosed or their faces not shown. Must be a stupid grey area.

IMO they dont distill anything "real time" but water

the few shots you see them "proofing" by shaking the bottle and watching bubbles they are shaking vodka or something

there seemed to be a few inconsistent issues around the fermentation length and process in some of the episodes

funny stuff but :)

needs one of these lol
1257-326-thickbox.jpg

I don't get it.

That show has been on here as well and I just don't "get" it either. The voice-over guy has stated a few different times that there have been portions of the procedure that they just weren't allowed to film. ...? Like what? Seems pretty complete to me, other than Tim's secret mash recipe (they never did show that).

The last show to air here had them preparing to transport 2 or 300 gallons across state lines. In a Ford Crown Victoria. If you caulked the doors and poured it in through the sunroof, maybe, but other than that I don't see how you could fit 300 gallons in a ford crown vic. And it wasn't dragging its ass down the road when a half ton truck definitely would be, with the same load. That same episode showcased Tim giving Tickle a rundown of all the mechanical wonders of that car. And that HAD to have been staged. The two of them put an engine in Tim's Le Mans in a different episode, so you know they're knowledgeable about cars. Yet Tim had a trouble light, pointing out critical features such as dual exhaust, big brakes, and the "reinforcement inside the spring to carry heavy loads" (ie the shock absorber inside the rear coil spring). :rolleyes:

Good point..... by my estimation, weight wise they`d need at least a F150.
The Yanks are having a loan of us :lol:

If you ask me, Tickles a liability.
If he's not falling off a roof and breaking ribs, he's destroying valuable brewing equipment.

Remember when the 'worm box' fell off the back of the ute (pickup..) in transit?

Tim: Did y'all tie it down?

Tickle: Yeah, I was holdin onto it.

Tim: You was holdin onto it?

Tickle: Yeah...

Tim:............

Tickles looks stoned the whole time, I think he smokes as much as he drinks.

So how does the volunteer fire chief be able to make a nationally screened tv show and keep his job? It really is stretching credibility a bit.

I'm also interested to see how they (don't) make tight cuts when running off. In ep 3 or 4 you see Popcorn, and he is doing it properly. Labelling jars as they come out in order. I suppose it's the difference between having a few bottles of exceptional white spirit, or heaps of mediocre stuff.
In the end it's all about the $$$. And who do you notice getting busted? Not the white good ole' boys. The black folk. Go figure.

Aww cmon guys. It's a reality tv show. None of em are real.... :rolleyes: :lol:

Latest posts

Back