Moo brew seasonal stout clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Drank a lot of this at the Ballarat beer festival and we were very impressed with it. Nice and smooth and coated the mouth really well.

I would like to attempt a clone of this but have no idea where to start. Their website doesnt reveal much about this beer.

Seasonal Stout
Colloquially known as ‘The Velvet Sledgehammer’, our Seasonal Stout is intense and deceptively smooth. Its rich dense palate is a complex matrix of high residual sugar, bitterness and an active alcohol vector.
Im going to steep the roasted grains overnight and add them to the mash at 10 mins left to help keep this nice and smooth. But has anyone tried this beer and perhaps has a base recipe they feel matches the Moo brew stout quite well?

Thanks.

I tried this yesterday and if it is the same one, it has a very large contribution from American oak, I would say overly aggressive. The base beer is very nice though.

Get some raw American oak chips, wet them and toast them under your oven grill at the lowest setting until the top ones go quite dark but are basically still raw at the very bottom.

Bizier said:
I tried this yesterday and if it is the same one, it has a very large contribution from American oak, I would say overly aggressive. The base beer is very nice though.

Get some raw American oak chips, wet them and toast them under your oven grill at the lowest setting until the top ones go quite dark but are basically still raw at the very bottom.
You probably tasted this one which is different from their regular seasonal stout.

Barrel Aged Vintage Stout
Aging in a mixture of French and American oak barrels for 12 months lends this beer added complexity. Due to this varied history, each barrel imparts its individual textures. On their merits, the barrels are blended back together to create the final beer, ready for drinking.
This Vintage is influenced by the addition of new American oak. This elevates the toasted coconut and sharp tannic grip in the mid palate. In keeping with previous vintages, the finish is a complex mix of treacle, coffee and tar.
Only 2,500 bottles available, individually numbered. 2011 vintage released.

Latest posts

Back