Monteiths Winter Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Here is the skinny on the new Monteiths Winter Ale.
Sounds like another nice drop from the guys at Monteiths.
I'll be trying to get my taste buds on a couple.

Beers,
Doc

BEST MATCHED WITH HEARTY WINTER FARE

- New Winter Ale from Monteiths

Ever since Monteiths started producing limited release brews back in 1998, it has developed a loyal and curious following keen to experience different beer styles from around the world.

Keen to carry on its pioneering ways the team at Monteiths is pleased to be offering beer lovers a hearty winter ale, brewed with the colder winter months in mind.

Developed using a combination of five premium malts, with hints of spicy cinnamon resulting in a rich, bold malty flavour and velvety smoothness, Monteiths Winter Ale is full in taste. Its cinnamon flavour provides warming characteristics and its creators, the Monteiths brewers, believe its a perfect balance for the Green Bullet, Super Alpha and Pacific Hallertau hops which have been used in the brew to help exude its spicy, yet flora, aroma.

Monteiths Winter Ale is best served at 8 10 degrees to enhance its flavour characteristics, and when poured at this temperature a creamy-collar of foam should form to create a look true to this style of beer.

With its trade release posted for Monday, 16 May and consumer purchase shortly after, Monteiths brand manager Jacqui Jones is keen to hear what beer lovers think of this years winter brew from Monteiths.

Our first limited winter release, Bock (released in 1998), was a hearty winter beer style and was new territory for Monteiths at the time. Since then we have continued to offer our drinkers a range of new tastes and experiences and have brewed a number of beers with strong winter characteristics. The success of these beers leads us to believe that our drinkers appreciate the stronger taste profiles that a winter beer style can offer and Monteiths Winter Ale is no exception.

Monteiths Winter Ale is a 6% (alcohol content) beer and complements hearty, wholesome fare, such as a winter hotpot or a ploughmans sandwich.

Selling at a RRP (recommended retail price) of $11.99 per six bottle basket, Monteiths Winter Ale will also be available on tap at Monteiths concept bars nationwide throughout the winter months.

Well i missed out on the summer ale when i was over nz and got to try the oud bruin so i hope i can try winter ale in sa soon

Just had an email from a mate in NZ, and I can be expecting a Care Parcel in the next couple of weeks :p

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
$11.99 per six bottle basket, .
[post="56466"][/post]​

So its gunna be cheaper than VB? :lol:

Looking forward to it.
Iam a big fan of one pot soups and stews etc in winter and quite often can be seen using a wooden spoon and veggies etc in my 20 litre kettle come winter time.
Anyway you can beat when i see this beer on the shelves i'll be graping a 'six bottle basket' AKA six pack.

Iam gunna crawl
Jayse

I am expecting my old man to come over for a visit in a couple of months - and as he lives only an hour or so from the brewery, there will be no excuse for him not to get me a basket!

dreamboat

It was launched this Tuesday, and I'm in NZ at the moment.
Was at the Tasting Room in Wellington last night and had a couple of pints.
It is a very nice beer. Not really a session beer. Initially there is the hint of cinamon but as you drink more it almost starts to dominate the beer.
I didn't get any floral aroma and you wouldn't know it was 6%.
Worth getting a couple. Definitely one for the dark beer lovers.

Beers,
Doc

Got to taste their Radler at the beerfest in Melb yesterday

pulling up a old thread here to give a heads up that I found the 2007 winter ale in a vintage cellars bottlo so I gather its all over the ussual haunts.

Quite a good beer, not quite the rich complexity I have come to expect from a so called doppelbock. But I guess I have been spoilt with some rich munich malt creations from a few brewers and breweries.
For the most part its very clean and smooth with chocolate malty notes, I'am guessing they may use the carafa special in there as it has a blandish roasted edge which borders on slight dirty/burnt with a long lingering malty finish with some very nice warmth along side. It has some spice but I wouldn't say as strong as the one from years ago doc posted about must have had.

The price can't be beaten really at 15 bucks for six or 50 a box like all the monteith's beers.

Well worth grabbing some if your a monteith's fan or even if your not as its quite a lovely beer.

B,B & BB.
Jayse

I tried this yesterday...at least I think it's the one you're talking about.
Wasn't the 'dopplebock' I expected, some decent chocolatey roasted malt flavours but a bit rough around the edges, slight astringency to it, didn't seem to have enough body.
Reminded me a bit of Tooheys Old in an odd sort of way.

FYI - the Monteith's Doppelbock Winter ALE is back. Picked up a 6 pack at DM's in Broadbeach today. Pretty sure it's the same beer you guys were talking about last year (though I didn't try it back then) - definitely slight roasty notes. Interesting that it appears they brewed it as an ale... Still, it's very clean, so they must have fermented it quite low.

Definitely worth a try if you come across it.

Found the doppelbock at the Tuggeah DM's

It is the first doppelbock i have tried so i don't have a huge opinion on how to style it was. still i very much enjoyed it. i will be buying it again.

i had some last week and quite enjoyed it. On a pedantic issue isn't 6% ABV a bit light on for a doppelbock or even a bock?

Especially when a previous Monteith bock was at 6.2%
http://www.monteiths.com/nz/siteFiles/showroom/bock.html

and a previous doppelbock effort was 7%:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/627/6528
It is a bit light for a dopplebock.
It is a bit of an ale for a dopplebock too apparently.

I think they should have just stuck to calling it a winter ale perhaps.

Not sure why they call it a Winter Ale. Definately a lager IMO

I think it is a great beer

Kabooby :chug:

I wish their NZ theme pubs adhered to the "serve at 8-10 degC" doctrine. Only time I've had it this recent vintage it was served more around 2degC.
It is technically a lager (as is their entire range), I suspect their marketing department reckon their usual faux-craft lager drinking punters won't understand what a bock is or is meant to be. Ales are likely percieved as more obviously flavoursome to the green bottle "premium" drinking masses who are their regular customers.

Picked up a 6 pack in DM's last Friday. Very nice :beer:

Cheers

Mark

Latest posts

Back