Monteith's Rata Honey & Spice Flavoured Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuzzy

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,

I have been given a challange on making MONTEITH'S RATA HONEY & SPICE FLAVOURED SUMMER ALE - of course by a couple of Kiwi's.....

Now, despite going over the pond last year for a weeks worth of looking, I have never tasted this apparently fine beer.

So, I have had a quick look in the recipe data base and had no luck - can anyone please help, my reputation (or lack of) is in question.

Cheers,

Kuzzy

Horrible stuff but their palates, not mine. Their reputations are questionable, rather than yours.

When looking for clues on how to brew something many breweries offer info such as OG, FG, IBU level and even sometimes clues as to malt and hops on their website.

Monteith's offer some of these here: http://www.monteithsbeer.com.au/beers-a-ci...summer-ale.html

If you could find out what hop variety, then light kit base (presuming you are kit brewing because you're posting in kits and extracts) or pale extract and malt/dex to hit 1048 and a yeast that's going to hit 1009 (if you use part malt and part dex with fresh yeast, you should be right). Light touch of honey (making sure you allow it to ferment out). Very low IBU level but it suggests spice so maybe later in the boil and more of it or just late or steeped if using the pre-bittered kit.

It also suggests specialty malts - I honestly couldn't suggest what they could be because when I tried it, it was anything but special.

Some clues here that might be AG based but can be translated: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=14663

However your best bet is to find one and try it for yourself before trying to work out how to make one.

Manticle,

Thanks for that. I would tend to agree on your view of who asked me to brew this - she is a Geologist.... Strange people.....

Cheers,

Kuzzy

When I had it it tasted like the spice was more than just hops and honey and looking at that other thread, they suggest a touch of ginger.

Latest posts

Back