• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Monster Mill Order

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaseH

Reaction score
There is a thread in the Bulk Buys but as this isn't really a bulk buy, and that thread doesn't appear to be going anywhere, I thought I would post here as well.

I'm looking to order a Monster Mill in the next week and was wondering if anyone else was interested to halve the shipping cost? According to their website they will ship 2 mills for the same price as 1, about $45 shipping. So your saving about $22.50 postage. I'm located in Melb S.E.

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/products_main.html

The MM-2 retails on the site for $117US + $22.50 postage = ~$140US delivered for a kickarse mill with 1.5" diameter rollers. I am yet to contact them for exact pricing but will do so if anyone else is interested.

Frothie,

If you can afford it order 2.

I just ordered 2 and had no problems selling the other one locally . I made 2 hoppers at the same time and added about 75% of the postage on for the hopper. My buyer was more than happy with that.

You can get a 3 roller and 2 roller for the same postage. ($45)

A great piece of gear.

Growler

Hey Frothie
I've talked myself into the MM2-2.0 ($171) with 303 s/s rollers ($80) = $251 plus split postage.

I get paid tomorrow so lets do it.
Now what do I do? :huh:

adama_bill - according to the FAQ on their website, the 2 for one shipping may not apply to the 2" roller models unfortunately? I suppose the extra weight of the rollers puts it up into the next freight category? I will email them to confirm though and see what they say.

Do you ship Overseas? How much does it cost?

Yes, we are willing to ship mills anywhere in the world that they are needed for folks making homebrew. I have found that the United States Post office provides the least expensive shipping rates for parcels leaving the US. International shipments go via USPS International Priority mail for a flat rate of $45 to anywhere that USPS goes. (Canadian customers pay only $30) Our shopping cart can handle international transactions, all you need to do is use the shopping cart on this web page, and shipping charges will be added correctly, as long as you're ordering only one mill. If you would like to order more than one mill, please send us an e-mail for a shipping quote. Generally we can send as much as one MM-3 and one MM-2 mill or less for one shipping charge of $45. Any 2" mill will have to ship by itself, as well as two MM-3 mills. If you are also purchasing a base/or hopper for your mill, the shipping cost may increse substantially. Please see the order info page for detailed information. If there are any taxes or duties due to your government, you will be responsible for them. Its usually easy to call your local customs office, and inquire about duties for imports to your location.

Quote: Any 2" mill will have to ship by itself.

Doh! I didn't see that.
Thank you for your effort anyway.

Regards

if it was me, (which i've already been in this position), i'd just go with the mashmaster mini.

It's the same size as the Monster and the Crankenstein, it's got geared rollers (as far as i know, the other two don't) and it's locally supported.

Kick arse piece of gear.

Used to own a crank (strangely similar to a monster ;)) and sold it to a brewing mate so i could afford the mashmaster mini.

Never looked back. Far superior mill.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1987

Affilitation.....yeah righto. Have a look at how far away i live. Pretty sure i don't work for them, but am a happy customer....

Thanks BN.
That's a solid suggestion indeed.

I really appreciate your input ~ I'm very new to this hobby.

Regards

Thanks BN.
That's a solid suggestion indeed.

I really appreciate your input ~ I'm very new to this hobby.

Regards

Seriously dude, you won't regret it.

It's a monster of a....ummm, i mean it really cranks.....ummm, it's a really good mill.

The only thing you need to consider is that the mini has a 13mm shaft. My (old) crankenstein had a smaller (10mm if i remember right) shaft, and i'd assume (as the companies are in someway related), that the monster will be a smaller shaft too...

Ended up running mine off of one of these:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_produc...--Corded+Drills

Way too much torque for a drill. You won't stop it anytime soon. Proper gearbox too if i remember correctly....

I brew 40lt, 8-8.5kg grain bills, and you can load up your grain hopper and pull the trigger and the drill will start up nicely. Too easy...

I guess the Ozito drill may be a cheap version of the DEWALT (Mud Mixer) Spade Handle Drill; that one is advertised as having a very low RMP . . . there wasn't anything in the Ozito Manual I downloaded talking about RMP.

I'm not sure what to think about 1.5 inch vs. 2 inch ~ I'm not aiming for an Olympic Brewing Award . . . just something better and more affordable than store-bought stuff.

I'm heading in the direct of BIAB.

Regards

I guess the Ozito drill may be a cheap version of the DEWALT (Mud Mixer) Spade Handle Drill; that one is advertised as having a very low RMP . . . there wasn't anything in the Ozito Manual I downloaded talking about RMP . . . . never the less what they do say is 'high torque'.

I'm not sure what to think about 1.5 inch vs. 2 inch ~ I'm not aiming for an Olympic Brewing Award . . . just something better and more affordable thsn store-bought stuff.

I'm heading in the direct of BIAB.

Regards

Maximum speed of that ozito is 550rpm..... and it's a variable trigger. Set it halfway and you'll get 200-250rpm every day of the week which is ideal.

Most will recommend an speed of 180-250 as ideal for a good crush, although this also depends on the gap setting too.

I set my mill at 1.0mm and aim for 200rpm. (i'm a professional music tutor so i find working out the speed/tempo of the mill quite easy). Works well for me.

The Mashmaster does look good, but at almost double the price, it would need to give blow jobs as well as crush grain! :(

The geared stainless rollers are nice but not really worth the extra I dont think, the only problems I heard with feeding grain on single roller driven units are on smaller 1.25" diameter roller machines.

i have the mashmaster mini and the ozito drill as well and it rocks, i recommend the drill whatever you do. it's a handy drill to own if you need to drive a mill and it's got a 3 year warranty

i reckon both mills will do the job and yes the MM mini is nearly $100 more but those monsters dont have gear drive or the frame down the sides or are SS rollers.
it's only $60 odd more if you go the SS option

the monster will prob live for ever (i have never touched one) but the MM mini sure feels a solid bit of gear well over-engineered for the HB'r

The Mashmaster does look good, but at almost double the price, it would need to give blow jobs as well as crush grain! :(

The geared stainless rollers are nice but not really worth the extra I dont think, the only problems I heard with feeding grain on single roller driven units are on smaller 1.25" diameter roller machines.

It's not just that....

The mini has a very cool design with regards to on the fly adjustments from one batch to the next.

Not sure if they have changed the design, but on my last Cranker, you had to remove the concentric bushing, rotate it, reinstall it with a hammer/mallet, and then tighten it up to adjust the gap. Huge pain in the ass......

the mini, has two knurled bolts that you undo, and this gives access to a rotating shaft that adjusts the gap by a concentric bushing, tighten it back up, problem solved.

Sooooo much easier...seriously. There's more to them than just another two roller grain mill.

No doubt its a good design and those features are nice and all - but all I need to do is set a gap once and crush some grains. The monster does that fine for half the price, so I'll stick with that for the moment. I have no problem with anyone else wanting to spend the extra for those features, just not for me.

So anyone else wanting in on the Monster?

No doubt its a good design and those features are nice and all - but all I need to do is set a gap once and crush some grains. The monster does that fine for half the price, so I'll stick with that for the moment. I have no problem with anyone else wanting to spend the extra for those features, just not for me.

So anyone else wanting in on the Monster?

+1

My monster mill has crushed a lot of grain for me and many mates. Whilst s/s rollers etc is nice, my good ol mm2 is still as good as the day I got it, and it would have easily crushed over a tonne of grain. Not that I touch the adjustment often but it is a 2 sec job to adjust it. I see it as a Merc Vs a Commodore, I would love a Merc in the driveway, but the commodore does the job just as nice. The extra $ can be put into a motor to make it easier than holding a drill. If I had the choice MM2 + motor or a s/s mill I would pick the MM2 any day.

QldKev

I went with an MM2 with SS rollers.

And I'd recommend the SS rollers to anyone. Surface rust sucks and it's just not an issue with the SS one

Fwiw the hopper is great to, feeds every last grain every time

Fwiw the hopper is great to, feeds every last grain every time

I was keen to order the hopper as well but it blows out the postage cost :( I may just have to settle for a home bodged job.

Was worth it to me to be up and milling within minutes of getting my package :)

I later picked up the hopper extension too. Means I can mill a large triple batch unnatended, I reckon you could easily get 15KG in

Looks like I have a taker for the other mill - cheers guys ;)

Back