Monster Mill - 2 Roller Stainless

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.DJ.

Reaction score
I have a milling problem...

Ive used it twice so far and the first 2 times I found it hard for the mill to grab the grain. The roller would just spin like there was nothing there. The last time I used it, I played around with it and adjusted the gap a little and it worked perfectly (good crush and efficiency). When I needed to use it the next time, I didnt touch the gap setting at all but it just wont grab the grain. I have tried it with the hopper full, with it partially full, with it empty and put grain in with the roller spinning nothing seems to work?

Im using a variable speed, high tourque drill to run it which works well when the grain actually feeds through the mill

Anyone else had/having issues and any ideas on how to fix?

Sounds like maybe the locking nuts on the side have come loose allowing the gap to slide open more - are these tight? I tighten mine with a pair of multigrips to give it a bit more bite.

i had something similar with mine and it was because the rollers weren't alingned. one sides gap was slightly bigger than the other, once i re-adjusted it worked fine.

Cheers,

Stewart

im guessing your gap has moved. did you lock off the mill spacing? ie tighten the nuts/screws? thats the only reason mine ever plays up

i had something similar with mine and it was because the rollers weren't alingned. one sides gap was slightly bigger than the other, once i re-adjusted it worked fine.

Cheers,

Stewart

Maybe this is it... but it did wrk the previous time... Ill check this out..

I've had this a few times. Like Raven said check all bolts. I've also had an issue when I ran some grain through that was damp. It created a blockage and stopped the grain from going in. It can also happen if the gap is too small.

im guessing your gap has moved. did you lock off the mill spacing? ie tighten the nuts/screws? thats the only reason mine ever plays up

I did tighten.. maybe not tight enough??

cheers.. :D

How wide is your hopper feed? I have an issue when my hopper gets low it doesn't grip the grain as well.

The gap in the hopper that feeds the mill is pretty small (less then 1cm, fingers can't get in) which I think might be my issue. I've been meaning to widen it up but its not so bad that I can't deal with it by poking around....

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=58713&hl=
Different mill (MM3) I know but could be the same issues. My frame wasnt square on my base board. I had a bit of 12mm aluminium laser cut that I mounted to the board and the mill mounted to that - runs like a charmer since.
You could get away with far thinner aluminium (say 3-5mm) which you could easily cut and drill yourself.
I had 4 bits of plate made up and cost me $120
I used draftsight (its free and far more powerful than the likes of google sketchup) to create DXF files to give to the laser cutter. I used the dimensions given with the mill instructions (converted from imperial to metic though)

First thing I'd be doing though would be completely stripping the mill and checking for wear on the end plates which will indicate that the rollers are not running square and are rubbing causing the undriven roller to bind with too much friction for the roller to freely spin when the grain drops between the two rollers.
I found when mine did it it almost "filed" some of the grain away to flour rather pulling the grain through and crushing it.

I had this problem on mine when i first got my mm-2... it drove me nuts trying to find WTF was going on. Since realised that the way i mounted the mill to the base was very occasionally letting a grain or 2 get jammed between the free roller and the side blocks, which would then create too much resistance and not let grain flow through between the 2 rollers

mm_2.png

I mounted the sides a little closer and now it doesn't allow anything in there.

on home brew talk they talk about using a nylon fender washer down the side to stop that happening. I couldnt find the right size so I didnt bother. With the MBH hopper though you would be hard pressed for grain to be getting to the ends of the rollers.

awesome, gives me something to look at..

thanks guys... :icon_chickcheers:

My crankenstein can also do it sometimes if i start the hopper full of wheat malt. If i start with barley malt and add the wheat on top it will feed fine.

Your non drive roller should be free spinning. Check that the hopper feed slot isn't touching the roller. Does it mak a lot of noise when milling?

I had this problem and had to slip washers between the hopper and mill (where the hopper bolts onto the mill).

Back