Monster Mill 2 Motorised

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven19

Homer is God
Reaction score
Some pics of my motorised Monster Mill 2 (MM2).

Built using an old kitchen cupboard from recent kitchen reno's.

Motor is fairly slow but works a treat. Motor is from a roller shutter style system as I understand.

DSCN4533.JPG

DSCN4534.JPG

DSCN4535.JPG

DSCN4536.JPG

DSCN4537.JPG

DSCN4538.JPG

Power supply from an old PC underneath.

Old Spring Water bottle as the hopper, bucket underneath.

Beats the hell out of holding a cordless drill. Thanks to Nevalicous for sourcing me a motor too!

Looks like a windscreen wiper motor!

Will it start with a full hopper?

I like this idea where the mill itself is hidden, I was thinking of doing something like that if / when I redo my mill

Motor is from a roller shutter style system as I understand.

From a security roller blind I believe.

Starts no problems with 5kg in the hopper. Good torque in this motor.

Its a roller door motor stripped off an old redundant installation...

I got a bunch of them for the guys in Adelaide who were looking at motorising their mills. I made an innocent post here and wham, I had alot of work on my hands :rolleyes:

They are geared up to high hell. I, like Raven19, use an old water bottle as my hopper, you can actually fit close to 6kg of grain in there. Flick the switch and it goes without missing a beat. Easily, this would crush even if it had 20kgs of grain on top of the rollers. Originally, the motors are designed to lift doors 5.5m wide by 3m high... That's a big roller door!

Draws about 2.5A @ 12vdc when crushing. Albeit, a little on the slow side... Does about 40RPM :lol:

To give you an idea, it crushes ~5kg of grain in about 10 mins. Big deal, you start it up, walk away and do something else :beer:

Nev

Maybe someone should get in touch with the boys from Top Gear Australia so we can see what a V8 mill would do?

:icon_offtopic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the motor on this. I was one fortunate to benefit from this community buy. :beerbang:

Load up the hopper, flick the switch and walk away. No more charging of drill batteries.

As for torque, i thought i would test it out by closing the gap to bugger all and running rye through it. Handled it easily. My cordless drill couldn't handle it.

Back