Monosodium Glutamate Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll preface this with saying eat whatever you want.
I'm merely putting this out there in case anyone is not aware of it, and so they can be well informed.
All i'd advocate is: Everything in Moderation. (beer & MSG included).

Excitotoxicity
"...is the pathological process by which nerve cells are damaged or killed by excessive stimulation by neurotransmitters such as glutamate and similar substances. This occurs when receptors for the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate (glutamate receptors) such as the NMDA receptor and AMPA receptor are overactivated by glutamatergic storm."

The debate is obviously about what is "excessive" when referring to something that naturally occurs in trace amounts in many foods and basic food preparation. Though i think the key to that is the word "trace"

Or maybe more importantly, rather than a single excessive dose, what might constitute "excessive" in something that's consumed on a regular/daily basis at levels in processed foods (i.e.: added pure MSG) that may be significantly higher than that in unprocessed foods? Say, over 20, 30, 40 years?

Just thought i'd mention the actual reason it's potentially a health concern in case anyone was unaware. Not trying to be a health/food/diet nazi.

Again, each to their own. This is a Beer forum after all!

I like that "glutamatergic storm"... Wow that could be a conversation stopper.

That's a bit misleading, technobabble.

The wiki article goes on to say:

"Excitotoxicity may be involved in spinal cord injury, stroke, traumatic brain injury, hearing loss (through noise overexposure or ototoxicity) and in neurodegenerative diseases of the central nervous system (CNS) such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's disease, alcoholism or alcohol withdrawal and especially over-rapid benzodiazepine withdrawal, and also Huntington's disease. Other common conditions that cause excessive glutamate concentrations around neurons are hypoglycemia."

It is not related to excess consumption. Glutamate doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier (ref).

krausenhaus said:
That's a bit misleading, technobabble.

... Glutamate doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier (ref).
... except at places like the Circumventricular Organs. They seem to happily allow the passage into parts of the Central Nervous System.

The other thing is, given scientific research discovers new things constantly, and that the phenomenon of excitotoxicity is proven, do you really want to risk the possibility that additional permeability to glutamate is discovered later on?

All the recent science on nutrition & health seems to indicate the wisdom of "Everything in Moderation." I'll just stick to that, i think.

PS: It may not be relevant, but did you read the Acknowledgements in that article you referenced, krausenhaus?
"The author's travel expenses associated with participation in the symposium and an honorarium were paid by the conference sponsor, the International Glutamate Technical Committee, a nongovernmental organization funded by industrial producers and users of glutamate in food. There were no conflicts of interest in the material presented in this article."

I'm glad they clarified there were no conflict of interest. Oh well, that's all right then. :D

Haha, woah! I missed that.

And yeah, moderation is always wise, of course. I'm not gonna go snorting the stuff just yet.

But free basing the stuff avoids the hassle of being associated with needle flavour enhancers. Plus I find the umami hit to be more intense.

I buy mine in bulk at Asian supermarkets. I expect it's easy to make your own but rather tedious drying the onions then blitzing them.

Another wonderful thing is fried onions in the pack, if you run them through a spice grinder it's Nirvana in a jar.

Latest posts

Back