MM Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13. Bazfletch - Summer Special Session.

I kinda wish I had tasted this before reading the detailed description in the booklet. The style in this thread says Summer Ale, and the booklet description furthers that with Motueka & Nelson hops, which I was expecting to dominate....But on drinking it it seems everything else is getting drowned out by what I can only assume is some kind of Belgian Saison yeast? Honestly this tastes like a true sessionable saison. If only the megaswill dickheads could make light beer this interesting!

I'm trying to work out if the name is a typo, should it be Summer Special Saison rather than Session?

EDIT: Actually hang on, I just spotted "M44" in the booklet...that's Mangrove Jacks West Coast Ale...that doesn't seem right at all. Anyone else had the number 13 as yet??

9. Declan - Choc Mint Stout

Got peppermint crisp chocolate on the first sniff of this. After that it smelt like fresh mint. A very clean stout, roastiness is quite restrained. Liking the low carb. Very impressed with the integration of the mint in this - it'd be so easy to overdo it and make toothpaste beer, but this has a beautiful balance of stouty and minty flavours. Well done.

13. Bazfletch3 - Summer ale

Sorry Pres, nothing saisony in my bottle. This is clean and free of anything phenolic. I'm getting a big whack of NS - not a subtle Knappsteiny grape-ish tone, but the bitter, resinous, vinous flavour you get from using a decent late dose of the stuff. This is rounded out with a nice dose of fruit salad that I'm guessing is coming from the Motueka. So much hop flavour in a mid-strength beer!

We'll now I'm confused!! I don't profess to have an experienced enough palette yet to pin down exactly what I've created-that's where you people come in!

It was meant to be a mix up of 2 of my summery favourites- Stone & Wood pacific, and Mountain Goat Summer. I took clone recipes of both and mish mashed them together a bit-very scientific. So it started as a "summer special" intended to end up at around 4.5%, but due to a cock up whilst mashing, followed by a dodgy gravity reading (both symptoms of having a 2 yr old as an assistant brewer!), I ended up way low on OG- hence the unintended "session" part....

I only tried a couple prior to the case swap, and to be honest I didn't quite get the hop hit I expected- but I've never used mouteka before so I didn't worry my head too much with it.

I'll be very interested to hear some more opinions

:)

[SIZE=13.63px]8. Parktho - 'Hop Suspension' ESB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63px]Mmm mm. Really enjoying [/SIZE]this one Thomas, thanks for the bottle even though I wasn't officially in the swap in the end! Pleasant mid-strength sessionable goodness!

There's a pleasant little floral/citrussy smell that goes really well with a lingering sweetness in the body of the beer. Nicely balanced out by the hop flavour and bitter. And a slight complexity to the malt - I'm not sure what's going on there - just a lingering slight caramel, maybe from the crystal malts? Love to know your recipe.

Alright dudes, had some beers last night.

Carnie's Hefe. Spot on! Very impressed. So clean, the yeast does all the talking. What a summer drink. Made me want to brew a hefe ASAP. Still haven't ventured into this style yet. I've tried quite a few hefe's. Last one was the Erdinger one. I prefer Carnies. Maybe because it's not as phenolic. Great job! I will give it a crack!

Tim's Mornington Clone. A good IPA is not an easy job. I've always had trouble getting the balance right. This clone is great! I had it with a mate and his first reaction was. "O yeah!" Which he only does if a beer is truly awesome. I couldn't agree more. Well balanced, great hop complexity. Really enjoyed it. I've never tried the original. Maybe I shouldn't, I don't want to be disappointed. Might just stick with Tims! :)

Jordan's Mosaic Single Hop. Mosaic, the IT hop a couple years back and I can't say I've had much experience of it until lately. Been using it in my last 5 brews in some way.

Very tropical aroma. Bitter, tart, slightly sour is my first reaction. I'm thinking, is this how Mosaic comes out on it's own? It's like biting in a slightly under ripe mango. Makes we want to drink more, take another sip. The sweetness of the crystal balances up this sensation well but I agree with Nathan in drying it out slightly would make the hops pop even more. As the beer warms up the taste "ripens". More flavor and better balance. It's a good beer Jordan. I would happily buy a few pints of this bad boy no worries. Great job mate!

Just had Dove's Amarillo Berlinner, mmm-mmmm dayumn! Sista! This is taysteeee. Sour but not too tart leaving a lingering malty sweetness. Crystal clear and that hint of Amarillo.

WIN.

:icon_drool2:

10. Nathan's cherry porter.

Easy drinking well balanced porter. [SIZE=13.63636302948px]Nice [/SIZE]chocolate[SIZE=13.63636302948px] and roasty aroma with a hint of cherry. [/SIZE][SIZE=13.63636302948px]as with other comments, I agree It's[/SIZE][SIZE=13.63636302948px] very clean and smooth. tastes great. Well brewed![/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63636302948px] Cherry Porter.jpg[/SIZE]

bazfletch3 said:
We'll now I'm confused!! I don't profess to have an experienced enough palette yet to pin down exactly what I've created-that's where you people come in!

It was meant to be a mix up of 2 of my summery favourites- Stone & Wood pacific, and Mountain Goat Summer. I took clone recipes of both and mish mashed them together a bit-very scientific. So it started as a "summer special" intended to end up at around 4.5%, but due to a cock up whilst mashing, followed by a dodgy gravity reading (both symptoms of having a 2 yr old as an assistant brewer!), I ended up way low on OG- hence the unintended "session" part....

I only tried a couple prior to the case swap, and to be honest I didn't quite get the hop hit I expected- but I've never used mouteka before so I didn't worry my head too much with it.

I'll be very interested to hear some more opinions

:)
I reckon something's gone wrong with my bottle, maybe I stuffed up the numbers or something. It was all saison, no way a Nelson Sauvin dominated pale ale! Weird.

Anyway, I'm now having Jordan's Mosaic Single Hop IPA. What a pearler! Pours a rich amber with solid white head. Massive nose of tropical fruit, and same with every sip, full on mango and tropical fruit flavours. I really love this beer. I've used Mosaic before, but only in combination with others...this thing shines on its own. Great job!

Mashers, do you want to try moving these tasting notes to somewhere that will be a lot more organised than just random posts in what will become a huge thread? I've set up a Google spreadsheet, with a huge table in it...find the row with your name, scroll across to the number beer you're trying, right click in the cell and choose "Insert Comment". Then type your tasting notes in the comment, and hit the "Comment" button when you're done.

To see comments for your beer, just hover over any cells in your beer's column with a little yellow/orange triangle in the top right corner, and the comment will appear.

Thought it might make it easier for brewers to see all the comments on their beers, rather than trawling through this thread. Thoughts?? I'll start copying all the existing comments over there so you get more of an idea. I've already put mine in there as examples. Click the link below to check it out, or add your comments:

bit.ly/2014mmcaseswap

Guys just opened a bottle of my ESB and it's flat! Obviously the cap hasn't sealed properly as I've had others that are fine (even too carbed!). Hopefully it's just this one, but please let me know.

Thomas.

Life has been a bit crazy lately but I have finally attacked my case swap bounty!

Here we go:

20 Dove Bailey Berliner Weisse
This is a cracking sour - @ 3.3% is the perfect beer for a hot day. They say sour is the "new" IPA and with beers like this I know why!

5 Justin Spicer Hefeweizen
A classic hefe - more please!

10 Nathan Keatch Cherry Porter
I had this other night when we had that storm - Uber smooth rich n roasty porter with gentle cherry overtones
I demand the recipe!

7 Mattias Isaksson Raspberry Saison
Shut the front gate this shit is goooood!
Having it now as I brew a pale ale and write these notes
Excellent tart raspberry undertones to a great Saison
A really good example of how fruit need not be sweet in beer

I just put a comment in the Spreadsheet but I'm keep them here as well I like seeing people thoughts.. bit of double handling but it does't bother me..

20 Dove Bailey Berliner Weisse
Really nice beer. Love the citrus of the Amarillo on the aroma. works great with this beers. The taste is big tart sour hit first, a little blank in the middle and then finishes with some funky sour notes all complimented by the Amarillo. Great Beer Dove, loved it. I'm keen to get a [SIZE=12.7272720336914px]Berliner[/SIZE] Weisse down at some stage.

Dove, how long did it take to get this sour?

Thomas' ESB, wasn't flat, but wasn't far off.
BUT... it was very tasty, and the more I drank the more I enjoyed it more, it was moreish, do you have anymore?

plunkett195 said:
Thomas' ESB, wasn't flat, but wasn't far off.
BUT... it was very tasty, and the more I drank the more I enjoyed it more, it was moreish, do you have anymore?
I just opened a bottle here too!

Mine certainly wasn't flat, but I did notice that the crown seal didn't look like it was crimped as well as it could have been. Might need an extra whack of the hammer or pump of the capper handle next time :)

Enjoying the beer very much though!

[SIZE=13.63px]18. Plunkett - oatmeal chocolate stout[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63px]Poured with a gigantic head. Dry, dark choc flavours and hints of smoke in the aftertaste.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63px]3. Wolfman - IPA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63px]Big fruity nose. Resinous but smooth, slightly chewy. Tastes better than it did at ANHC.[/SIZE]

Mine certainly wasn't flat, but I did notice that the crown seal didn't look like it was crimped as well as it could have been.

Yeah, same here Thomas.

I avoid using bottles with a screw top generally for this reason.

My saison is ready tomorrow(/tonight!).
Just sayin'

Actually it's was ready a few days ago - a sneaky sample checked out well, so I'm keen to get the group's feedback given my lack of overall familiarity with saisons :lol:

[SIZE=13.63px]4. Forever Wort - Mongrel Saison[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63px]Lovely orange colour. Surprisingly good clarity for a saison.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63px]When it's cold it tastes like a 6% beer and could really **** you up. Warmed up, the body and alcohol assert themselves, along with some really nice stone fruit tones and a hint of citrus. On the nose I'm getting Belgiany phenolics and a tiny bit of something acetic. There's a slight burn in the aftertaste - guessing that comes from the ginger?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63px]A complex beast. Big but very drinkable.[/SIZE]

Back