MJ SS Fermenter Volume marks incorrect

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkilleen

Reaction score
I just bought a new Mangrove Jack SS fermenter to replace the old plastic one that has made many brews. I did a batch and ended up with a bottle less than I would have expected. I decided to fill the fermenter with water to the 23l mark and measure what came out and the answer was 21.8 litres, which goes along way to explain why I was "short" a 750 ml bottle and ended up with a higher alcohol content than expected. Has anyone else had the same issue with these fermenters? Otherwise it worked well except it's harder to tip to get the remaining beer under the tap out compared with the old faithful plastic one.

How was your measuring container calibrated?
Did you actually weigh the full container to verify its accuracy?

Good point...I checked the measuring jug and it wasn't accurate! I've been using it for years and assumed it was OK. Given the variation from 1 litre I'd say the fermenter marks are close to spot on, which doesn't explain how I lost a bottle or the abv was high...maybe I under filled it - bit of refraction maybe...

The volume marks on my MJ SS fermenter are accurate to less than 200mL at 20L according to my scales.

Latest posts

Back