Mixing Bittering Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
I propose today to mix my bittering hops up, with Magnum 10g POR 5 g @ 40 min, amarillo 10g @ 20 and simcoe 10g @ 5 min ang 10g @ 0 (No Chilling)

any reason why a mix bittering hops cant be used?

anyone else done similar?

cheers.

can be done, do it all the time, can see no reason not to except simplicity.

but why the 40m addition?

why not?

The first brews I did were SMASH with a 40 min addition only, If you are achieving the required bitterness @ 40 min then I feel there is no need for a 60 min bittering addition.

I generally now boil the arse off it (this one has a small pilsner addition) for 20 min then add the bittering at 40 min and turn down to a simmer.

Yob

why not?

The first brews I did were SMASH with a 40 min addition only, If you are achieving the required bitterness @ 40 min then I feel there is no need for a 60 min bittering addition.

I generally now boil the arse off it (this one has a small pilsner addition) for 20 min then add the bittering at 40 min and turn down to a simmer.

Yob

Doesn't it just mean you are using more bittering hops than you need to?

to my mind it's balanced by the fact it is to be no chilled where extra is gained... 15g is not to my mind an excessive amount for bittering. Im still getting 40IBU's in brewmate.

:icon_cheers:

to my mind it's balanced by the fact it is to be no chilled where extra is gained... 15g is not to my mind an excessive amount for bittering. Im still getting 40IBU's in brewmate.

Fair enough. I think its great fun when you have little bits of everything left over and just throw it all in and see what happens, and generally some of my most unique and best tasting beers have come from just experimenting.. :beerbang:

No issues at all with selecting more than one variety of bittering hop. You will find that each variety will give a type of bitterness that could be suitable or not suitable. EG: using chinook at a bittering addition only will still give a detectable piney flavor after 60min boil.

Generally, low cohumulone hops are favored as bittering due to being cleaner in character.

That said, keep experimenting and if you find a combination that works well, then awesome! Can't see why it won't work.

thats kind of why I wanted to try it, a more complex type of bittering.. I mean, we add various types of hops for flavour and aroma.. why not bittering.. lol

well it's done and cubed now so will find out in a month or so... the grain bill was also an assortment of leftovers... :lol:

pale malt 4.5kg
pilsner 500g (Leftovers)
wheat malt 400g (Leftovers)
Biscuit 110g (Leftovers)
Dark Crystal 40g (Leftovers)

Magnum 10g @ 40
POR 5g @ 40
Amarillo 10g @ 20
Simcoe 10g @ 5
Simcoe 10g @ 0

I freakin love this game

I haven't brewed with magnum yet, but that looks like one tasty beer. Amarillo and Simcoe late in the boil are one of my favourites. :icon_drool2:

I haven't brewed with magnum yet, but that looks like one tasty beer. Amarillo and Simcoe late in the boil are one of my favourites. :icon_drool2:

Yeh I am pretty sure that is going to turn out to be a really nice brew especially in the warmer months. I was addicted to amarillo at one stage i think :lol: put it in 5 out of my last 6 batches.. seems to go nicely with anything and can use for bitter, aroma or flavour, cant go wrong. :icon_cheers:

Yeh I am pretty sure that is going to turn out to be a really nice brew especially in the warmer months. I was addicted to amarillo at one stage i think :lol: put it in 5 out of my last 6 batches.. seems to go nicely with anything and can use for bitter, aroma or flavour, cant go wrong. :icon_cheers:

Agreed, I had a little problem with Amarillo for a while there too :)

Yeh I am pretty sure that is going to turn out to be a really nice brew especially in the warmer months.

we hope!! :lol:

really digging creating beers, I bottled my 4th AG last night and I could have almost drank it from the FV... similar hop schedule but without the POR, it was so nice I went to the recipe so I could do it again today... different grain bill though..

this is going to be a very good summer in the pool :icon_drunk:

If when it does turn out to be a corker I will post it in the DB

edit: still having trouble with my amarillo addiction

Hear u on the Amarillo addiction haha! I've mixed small amounts of bittering hops together with no off tastes, esp when you have small amounts left over and u hate wasting hops like me! Some hops don't go together at all IMO, but some go fine together!

Latest posts

Back