Missed The Postman

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
Damn, just missed the postie who had my brand spankin new Barley Crusher with 15 lb Hopper, Well I will have to wait until it gets back to the depot before collecting, Cant friggin wait!!! :D

Thinking of getting one of those myself so I'd love to know how it goes once you get your greasy paws on it. :p

jimmyjack said:
Damn, just missed the postie who had my brand spankin new Barley Crusher with 15 lb Hopper, Well I will have to wait until it gets back to the depot before collecting, Cant friggin wait!!! :D
[post="89366"][/post]​

Jimmyjack,

Good to see the gear coming together :)

My BC works well. The 15lb hopper is a wise addition. I have to fill my 7lb several times but it's not much of an issue. At least if I knock it off the bucket I only lose/clean up/recover 7lbs of grain :p.

I power it with a 12V windscreen wiper motor on the slowest speed. Power comes from a 12V battery charger, can't remember the specs of the charger except that it was dirt cheap ~$10 and has a 10AMP fuse. I also have another battery charger with a 5AMP fuse and it blows the fuse on it every now and then-that's why I bought the 10AMP fused one.

To hook them together I have a small 1" block of brass in which I drilled a 3/8" hole all the way through. I drilled a small hole (can't remember the size but small) in the side of it perpendicular to the 3/8" hole in which a thread was cut to install a grub screw/bolt to key with the shaft on the BC-being brass the bolt would probably cut it's own thread. The other end of the brass block I drilled out to a size that the nut on the windscreen wiper motor could be jammed in and I soldered it in place.

Works great. I did break the solder joint the other weekend but that's a long story and involved a different coupling arm.

Hand cranking loses it edge real quick.

Cheers. Justin

I think I am going to order one of these. I just got a quote, including postage, of US$193 which works out to be about $260 Aussies. That's with the 15lb hopper and handle.

I'm going to give my seput a bit of a makeover I think. New 50L s/s boiler, old plastic boiler (I use an immersion element) will become my new hlt and I'll be setting it up in a 3-tier configeration of sorts. And now I will have a mill thrown in too. No more using 3 month old cracked grain! :p I wonder if I will taste the difference. :rolleyes:

I got the little machine right here and it is kick ass. very well built piece of gear. I am sure the other mills are just as good but I have to say these guys were super professional with their service. From ordering it took 7 days to arrive on my door step as stated from previous brewers. the SWMBO wants me to put it back in the box ready for xmas but I just want to fiddle with it. Even my Assistant brewer Jake digs it!

Picture.jpg

Yep definitely getting myself one of these puppies (the mill, I mean :p )

So when's the next brew Jimmyjack? Or are you meant to wait till after Dec 25??? :angry: :ph34r:

Unfortunately i am going to have to put it back in its box to keep the boss happy. But I've negotiated a brew session with it before xmas (just in case it doesnt work and I have to get back to the states before the return policy runs out!!!!!!))) She bought it!!! ;)

Great looking bit of gear, where you get it from?

www.barleycrusher.com

You just buy them direct from the US.

Back