mislabeled DME

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankinoz

Reaction score
Take a good look at extracts before use.

I just did a mostly mash, target volume 23L. The grist (BIAB) was 3.3 kg Weyermann Bopils, 250 g Gladfiend Toffee (a very light-colored crystal malt) and 200 g Gladfield,Gladiator (a melanoidin malt), with 600g Briess, labeled "Golden Light," which I added 20 minutes from knockout at the end of 90-minute boil. By my calculations and using the malt specs the colour should have come out about 8 or 9 SRM. In the kettle the wort stayed light until I added the DME. It then darkened and reddened almost immediately, way too fast to blame kettle caramelisation, and the wort came out about 17 SRM with a strong red component.

Four days ago earlier I'd opened the 1 kg DME package, used 400g DME and got darker, redder beer than expected, but the target SRM was higher and I thought it was the grain, the color of which varies..

Remnants of the unused DME do look darker than I remember Golden Light ever looking.

Does anyone who uses the darker Briess DME know which one would impart a strong red colour in those amounts?

The DME was stored unopened in a cool place and not for long. Between the two uses I sealed the bag well,and kept it cool.

Back