Mirracle Box/ Chiller Box

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an opportunity to get a photo of Jayses "Miracle Box" when I was at his place recently.
Top set up and very simple, and he said it works really well.
I dont think Jayse would mind me showing his set up so here goes.
Just another option for you Adelaidehomebrew.

P1010011.JPG

Could be a bargain for someone in SA. I got a quote for a coldplate from Andale in Brisbane last year and it was over $200! then add GST

Jayse or BBB,

Roughly what length of plastic tubing are you using and what are the spacers in between each loop? I'm thinking about heading down this path. I'm guessing you fill up with ice and water rather than just ice?

Dave

Daviesbludging,
Jayse is not on the forum at the moment so I hope I can help.
The spacers are something that his brother got from a job he did, but it would be easy to make three spacers from some wood or plastic.
I dont know the length of the pipe but if you considered that each coil was 600mm and you could get twenty coils into the esky on your made up spacers you would have 12mtres of tube.
Jayse said that all he does is get the keg cold before he is going to use it and then fills the box with ice and away he goes.
Hope this helps,
Cheers

Have been thinking about one like Jayse's. How about including a coil of SS tube? About 6m cost around $30 and could be bent into a coil. The beer line could simply be pushed on and clamped in position. Any ideas good or bad?

Hoops

SS Tubing doesnt conduct heat as well as copper - thenfore to get the same cooling effect you would need more SS Tube tahn copper.

Ken...

SS Tubing doesnt conduct heat as well as copper - thenfore to get the same cooling effect you would need more SS Tube tahn copper.

Ken...

Ken, I would not consider using copper for a miracle box. The system shown is using beer line as a heat transfer, I'm sure that SS tube would have a much better heat transfer rate than the beer line, as SS tube is what is used in commercially available cold plates. Just not sure how many metres would make a substantial difference. Maybe with a 6m length you might only need half the beer line?

Hoops

i just thorw my keg into a clean rubbish bin (one of those small ones) and throw a couple of bags of ice, no worries!

I'd be more interesting in finding out if anyones used a soda stream container for a pouring gas bottle?

Thats the real killer, carrying the bloody gas bottle to every party!

Wedge
I have some photos of my setup of a soda stream CO2 bottle in another thread
Soda stream CO2 bottle
I should be getting some adaptors made up in a few months and can hopefully get a few made up if a few people here want one.

Hoops

Hoops,

Count me in!

I picked up a Soda Stream for $6 at a U/S place on the GC a year ago and use it to gas the bottom of fermenters and kegs before filling.

I spoke to a chap at a HBS about an adaptor so I could use the S/Stream gas bottle on a keg when I wanted to transport but he offered a price of about $130 - A bit of a touch I thought!

let me know if you come up with something.

Trev

Hoops

I am interested as well.

No worries guys. I won't be back in Toowoomba for another 2 months and it may take a few weeks after that but when I have a couple I will let everyone know.

Hoops

I have one as well

adelaidehomebrew
Dam, if only I had some spare cash, it would be bring on the portable keg system!
miracle box
Why so keen to buy something that you are selling?

For those coming out to kens will see mine in action.
Are you coming Damo AKA adelaide home brewer?

i'll put some ice in it but not to much as the keg will be cold.
the ice will be just to tame down the hops for those hop virgins.

jayse

Trev Wedge GMK & Batz

I have had the soda stream adaptor made up and it works a charm.
I have posted pics in the trading post section here

Back