Minni Mash Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelly

Reaction score
I have just started down the road of partial mashing,brought what i thought was a good size s/s pot 11.5L also a cooper cooler 8.5L but i have reading here about partial mashing and they talk about using 15 to 20L pots .So i was wondering if the equipment i got is ok or should i upsize.Also i want to do another brew not sure what,got some wyeast 1968 London starters in the fridge and some saaz and halletau pellets in the fridge, a bit of advice would be appreciated.

Looks like we are heading down this road together, I have done a couple of kit beers and am looking to do a partial for my next stunt. I bought a 20L SS pot today from BigW for $20 and got a set of scales for $35. I am looking for a decent glass thermometer and a gas burner to complete my essential kit list.

Good luck mate.

oddball is right - get at least a 20 ltr saucepan - will need a good sieve as well.
A hand held Heating element is a good bonus too.
do a search on ebay - buy a refractometer much better.
a digital probe thermometer is great.
and a good set of digital scales.

Hope this helps

Hi. Regarding the thermometer. Would it be a good idea to purchase a $4.99 probe thermometer from Target? I seen one today and almost bought it but wondered if it would be any kop at $4.99! The only downfall I could see was the probe was only about 6 inches long so maybe too short?

It looked similar to the one in the picture and had a good temp range.

Econ9therm.jpg

Hi,
I used a milk frothing thermometer, similar to the one in the picture, temp range of -10to + 100 with 65deg to 70 deg marked in red, quite handy.

Good luck,I did my first partial today, a lot more interesting than kits and extract brewing.

Cheers
Brad :beerbang:

Thanks guys will go on the hunt for a 20l S/S POT. I do have a brewing thermoneter and a large s/s seive. What about sparging the grain ,i just used a cup any better ideas.

beerbelly said:
Thanks guys will go on the hunt for a 20l S/S POT. I do have a brewing thermoneter and a large s/s seive. What about sparging the grain ,i just used a cup any better ideas.
[post="56931"][/post]​

With the pot I reccomend spending the money and getting a good quality pot. You can use it for other things too. I spent about $90 on a thick bottomed ss stock pot.

As far as sparging goes just tip the grain back into the esky or whatever you are using as a mash tun. Pour in some more water and sieve it again.

I my part mash days I used a esky and a 17L quality ss pan, mostly used for stocks and soups these days! An 8L plastic urn will be a godsend--with mashing you are always heating water. Look for a second hand one.

for sparging I used 3 colanders sitting in a pan or bucket, kilo of grain in each one, pour 2L water through each.

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back